Derwsss
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi,

My application is looking a little weak, with predicted grades probably coming out to be BBD. Are mocks supposed to count towards predicted grades? My school is not counting them, and instead is taking an average of all test performances in the year. I am thinking of applying to IT management with business courses, and all options require ABB predicted, with GCSE Maths/English grade 4. Loughborough require GCSE grades at minimum 5 passes at minimum 6, which I do not have. Would it be worth applying here, even as my 'ambitious' option?

I had work experience planned for this summer, however with COVID, I could not carry out that work experience. Nevertheless, I do work in the family business, which is pharmacy. Would it be bad to mention this, considering the COVID circumstances? I've heard that admissions tutors are really looking for work experience that you have got off your own back. My reference writer has asked for the name of the pharmacy already.
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You need to aim at UCAS Points Unis rather than 'Grade Unis' - for grade Unis, a D grade is a big No, regardless of your other grades. With predicted grades that far below the requirements, and not meeting the GCSE requirement, you'll just get a rejection. Work experience is worth mentioning, but it does not replace 'evidence of academic ability'.

As far as your teachers are concerned, how they decide on predicted grades is up to them/the school.
You might try asking 'if I work my socks off between now and Christmas would you raise that grade'.
They dont have to say yes, and then they might only raise it one grade so you are still looking at BBC - so your best stretch is going to be BBB requirements. You need to lower your sights a bit.
Derwsss
Rep:
?
I'm not sure, I've seen early applicants in my school raise it so I will have to wait and see if I may be able to raise, considering I have 2 As in my recent Psychology test and A in my politics. It may go to AAD, which I may be able to bring to ABC, which is how the school are going about raising, which is lowering other grades in order to compensate.

I do have personal circumstances affecting GCSE performance, not sure if that matters at all.

Would adjustment give me a decent chance, even if I don't meet the GCSE requirements?
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Adjustment is only for those who exceed the grades of their Firm choice.

GCSE grades still matter during Clearing which is what I think you mean : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...on-to-clearing
Derwsss
Rep:
?
Oh. Yeah, never really got the difference between the 2. Is there a place where I can see whether ITMB went into clearing, and at which universities? I never seem to get results when I look it up.
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No, and it wouldnt help you anyway as every year is different.

PS. The idea that all Unis and all courses drop their entry requirements at Clearing is a bit of a myth; most will still require their standard entry requirements.
Derwsss
Rep:
?
Ah ok. Thank you for the advice.
jasmiinnee
Badges: 1
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Derwsss)
Oh. Yeah, never really got the difference between the 2. Is there a place where I can see whether ITMB went into clearing, and at which universities? I never seem to get results when I look it up.
When I was looking through ITMB courses in clearing over summer, pretty much every uni that runs it had it in clearing apart from loughborough, manchester and maybe one another. If u your other 4 choices r super safe u could maybe try loughborough
ashtolga23
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Loughborough require GCSE grades at minimum 5 passes at minimum 6, which I do not have. Would it be worth applying here, even as my 'ambitious' option?
This bit stood out to me so I'm singling it out. If this is a requirement then no, it's not worth it. It's not a preference. It's something you just have to have, so don't waste a choice on it.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi,

My application is looking a little weak, with predicted grades probably coming out to be BBD. Are mocks supposed to count towards predicted grades? My school is not counting them, and instead is taking an average of all test performances in the year. I am thinking of applying to IT management with business courses, and all options require ABB predicted, with GCSE Maths/English grade 4. Loughborough require GCSE grades at minimum 5 passes at minimum 6, which I do not have. Would it be worth applying here, even as my 'ambitious' option?

I had work experience planned for this summer, however with COVID, I could not carry out that work experience. Nevertheless, I do work in the family business, which is pharmacy. Would it be bad to mention this, considering the COVID circumstances? I've heard that admissions tutors are really looking for work experience that you have got off your own back. My reference writer has asked for the name of the pharmacy already.
Loughborough will not look past the grade 4s at GCSE when they want 6s so that would be a wasted choice.

Mocks don't have to count towards predicted grades - teachers use a range of different evidence although many will take mocks into account. I would try to get your predicted grades up to ABC if your teachers think that could be achievable. Definitely talk about your experience working in a pharmacy - you don't have to add that it's a family business, you are still getting work experience and developing useful skills.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (595)
33.96%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (729)
41.61%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (349)
19.92%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.51%

Watched Threads