The Student Room Group

how are 1st Order Differential Equations are useful in solving problems in system

how are 1st Order Differential Equations are useful in solving problems in engineering system. atleast 2 need to find. but i dont really understand how it can help solve problems.

I have to evaute it, but im not sure.

does this count as one
first order differeation can be used to model the behaviour of a electrical RL or RC circuit. By modeling the circuit, the behaviour of the current, voltage can be predicted and be used to calculate what components can be intergrate into the circuit or replace broken components without cause damage to those components.
Reply 1
Original post by mlm1234
how are 1st Order Differential Equations are useful in solving problems in engineering system. atleast 2 need to find. but i dont really understand how it can help solve problems.

does this count as one
first order differeation can be used to model the behaviour of a electrical RL or RC circuit. By modeling the circuit, the behaviour of the current, voltage can be predicted and be used to calculate what components can be intergrate into the circuit or replace broken components without cause damage to those components.

System specified by forces (accelerations), so robotics, mechanics,... and you want to model speed (no position dependent forces).
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by mlm1234

does this count as one

For the example you've given, I'd say the general *idea* is fine, but the specifics are pretty questionable. I think it's *really* unlikely you'd ever use modelling to "replace broken components without causing damage to those components". But (for example), if you wanted a simple circuit to make a light flash, you might use an RC circuit to produce a slowly changing voltage to control a relay turning the light on / off, and then modelling the RC circuit woud give you can idea of what values for R + C would give suitable on / off times for your light.

Slightly more involvedly (but more realistically), if you had a AC power supply and you wanted to convert it to DC, you might use a full wave rectifier to convert sin(at) to |sin(at)|, and then a capacitor to smooth it. Then modelling the load as a resitance, you have an RC circuit and can form a differential equation to work out how much ripple in the final output voltage you'd get for a given capacitor.
Reply 3
Original post by DFranklin
For the example you've given, I'd say the general *idea* is fine, but the specifics are pretty questionable. I think it's *really* unlikely you'd ever use modelling to "replace broken components without causing damage to those components". But (for example), if you wanted a simple circuit to make a light flash, you might use an RC circuit to produce a slowly changing voltage to control a relay turning the light on / off, and then modelling the RC circuit woud give you can idea of what values for R + C would give suitable on / off times for your light.

Slightly more involvedly (but more realistically), if you had a AC power supply and you wanted to convert it to DC, you might use a full wave rectifier to convert sin(at) to |sin(at)|, and then a capacitor to smooth it. Then modelling the load as a resitance, you have an RC circuit and can form a differential equation to work out how much ripple in the final output voltage you'd get for a given capacitor.

What would examples of the engineering systems that i could research
electrical is not my area, so really struggling on this math bit
Original post by mlm1234
What would examples of the engineering systems that i could research
electrical is not my area, so really struggling on this math bit

I don't want to be unhelpful, but is it really so difficult to google this?

Quick Reply

Latest