do i have to take american sat if i have done my gcses and a levels

Watch
coycoyy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
if i want to attend a private 4 year college in america, (i am a british student taking a levels and gcses) am i required to take an sat test to get accepted or will they just look at my results from gcses and a levels? thanks
study=depression
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by coycoyy)
if i want to attend a private 4 year college in america, (i am a british student taking a levels and gcses) am i required to take an sat test to get accepted or will they just look at my results from gcses and a levels? thanks
You need to do the SAT. That's what my school has told me.
coycoyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by study=depression)
You need to do the SAT. That's what my school has told me.
thank you!
ry7xsfa
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't know what year you are currently in.

For this year most (if not all) colleges have dropped their requirement for the SAT or ACT due to COVID-19, and a lot of colleges also won't require it next year. I believe a small number of colleges may have entended this policy to a year after that too.

Normally though, you'd have to take the ACT or SAT to get into a US university. Some universities may also require you to take SAT Subject Tests. Some universities are test-optional though, meaning that you do not have to submit test scores if you do not wish to. Just because a school is test-optional though, it doesn't mean they aren't still highly competitive and every other part of your application will need to be at a high standard.

In general, it's best to check each individual university's policy on which tests they require for international applicants.
coycoyy
Rep:
?
(Original post by ry7xsfa)
I don't know what year you are currently in.

For this year most (if not all) colleges have dropped their requirement for the SAT or ACT due to COVID-19, and a lot of colleges also won't require it next year. I believe a small number of colleges may have entended this policy to a year after that too.

Normally though, you'd have to take the ACT or SAT to get into a US university. Some universities may also require you to take SAT Subject Tests. Some universities are test-optional though, meaning that you do not have to submit test scores if you do not wish to. Just because a school is test-optional though, it doesn't mean they aren't still highly competitive and every other part of your application will need to be at a high standard.

In general, it's best to check each individual university's policy on which tests they require for international applicants.
im planning on attending university in 2023, but thank you for this!!
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Unless you are applying to an SAT optional college (there are a number of these) it is generally required that you sit the SAT or ACT (either is fine, they are both slightly different; the ACT includes some maths topics normally only covered in AS FM though i.e. matrices and complex numbers). Some colleges also require you to take one or more SAT subject tests, so be sure to check that (usually you can't take the main SAT and subject tests on the same test date, so you will need to plan ahead to give yourself enough time to go to two different test dates in that case). Be aware that in the UK there aren't many SAT test centres and slots to take the test fill up fast once they open for bookings so make sure you identify which test date(s) you plan to sit it for and that you get in to book as soon as you can.

Obviously all of the above only applies in "normal" times, in the current pandemic things may be different so check college webpages to see what the requirements are for this application year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (660)
33.49%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (839)
42.57%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (383)
19.43%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.52%

Watched Threads