The Student Room Group

MA/MPhil and PhD English Applicants 2021

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dmorgendorffer
Lol they must be super swamped. Last week she told me mid-Feb. Oh well.

Haha, and the English postgraduate website initially said the offers would be made early-February! The only thing they are consistent with is the month of February; and I'm glad it's only 28 days, lol.
Original post by nechron
Ah, I see, thanks!

I've heard from the secretary today that PhD applications are still being considered, and we should all expect to hear by the end of February. Hope this helps, and we should all stop refreshing forums and application portals. Not good for our mental health!

Best of luck to all applicants!

Gosh, end of the month? I applied for an MPhil and one of the other universities I applied to is asking for a deposit by the 24th to keep my spot.
Oh no, now it's end of Feb and not mid-Feb? :frown:
Original post by ohwell1996
Gosh, end of the month? I applied for an MPhil and one of the other universities I applied to is asking for a deposit by the 24th to keep my spot.

I'm not entirely sure if MPhil applicants will have to wait until the end of the month. My email to the secretary was specifically about my own PhD application. So, you might hear earlier than that, fingers crossed.
Original post by nechron
I'm not entirely sure if MPhil applicants will have to wait until the end of the month. My email to the secretary was specifically about my own PhD application. So, you might hear earlier than that, fingers crossed.

Hopefully :smile: Fingers crossed for you too!
Reply 185
Anyone else who has applied to the MPhil in 18th c. and Romantic?
Original post by Sunlmn
Anyone else who has applied to the MPhil in 18th c. and Romantic?

yeh!!
Reply 187
Original post by evamary
yeh!!

Oh, good! It's been hard to come by similar people. I've been wondering how many of us have applied to the particular MPhil.
Original post by dmorgendorffer
8EEAD5D9-9F37-4435-94C1-45BE29A02F83.jpeg
Someone has just posted on Gradcafe today that they were rejected from the English PhD at Camb back in November. Looks like they reject you right away if they don’t want you. So we can take heart that no news is, for now, good news 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Yeah, for any Grad course the rule of thumb is defo ‘no news is good news’... If you haven’t been rejected by now I think you can at least assume you’ve made the final field of candidates. Let’s just hope we all make the final cut :biggrin:
Does anyone know if anyone was ever admitted to PhD in English without being interviewed? Particularly external applicants who haven't studied for their master's at Cambridge.
Invited to interview by my supervisor this morning (PhD). Seems really informal, they told me I'm being nominated for funding which is why they have to conduct an interview before the end of the week.
Original post by odela81
Invited to interview by my supervisor this morning (PhD). Seems really informal, they told me I'm being nominated for funding which is why they have to conduct an interview before the end of the week.

Congrats!! That's great news. Could I ask what stage are you at on application portal?
Original post by nechron
Congrats!! That's great news. Could I ask what stage are you at on application portal?

Still at degree committee!
Has anyone heard back about Oxford DPhils yet? Or does anyone know when we might hear something?
Hi! I’m applying for an English studies mphil- some time this morning the portal updated to awaiting approval by GAO
Original post by Cocoapops22
Hi! I’m applying for an English studies mphil- some time this morning the portal updated to awaiting approval by GAO

Congratulations!

Which English course in particular was it?

And were you in ‘degree committed’ or ‘department review’ on your portal before it changed?

Sorry for the questions haha
Feels like the offers are starting to roll out in a lot of departments at Cambridge. Fingers crossed everyone.
Original post by dukey2323
Congratulations!

Which English course in particular was it?

And were you in ‘degree committed’ or ‘department review’ on your portal before it changed?

Sorry for the questions haha

Thanks! I was on degree committee and it was for modern and contemporary literature
Original post by Cocoapops22

Congratulations!! That's exciting!
Moved to GAO just now for English PhD. Good luck all

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending