MA/MPhil and PhD English Applicants 2021

Watch
dukey2323
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by app2020)
Best of luck. I appreciate this is a bit late, but the most important thing is a) your application is accessible to someone who has no idea about the topic you're studying and b) why it need to be this course/uni. I say this as someone whose research straddles English, Critical Theory, and philosophies of digital technology to name a few and have been told in the past that my research sounds really interesting but they're not sure how it will fit in with a particular school. Often, while most universities claim to value interdisciplinary research, they tend to be a bit suspicious of it unless they can immediately see why it fits in with their discipline and its methodologies. As long as your research obviously fits in with the department, I wouldn't worry about your undergrad.
Thanks for this.

I did try to cover this in my application— my proposed dissertation/thesis would primarily be focused on a Lacanian approach to literature, criticism and modern culture, so I made my understanding of Lacan clear, and submitted a theological essay on Lacan as my supporting document to try and demonstrate my work. Hopefully that will be enough to give me a fighting chance of an offer.
app2020
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dukey2323)
Thanks for this.

I did try to cover this in my application— my proposed dissertation/thesis would primarily be focused on a Lacanian approach to literature, criticism and modern culture, so I made my understanding of Lacan clear, and submitted a theological essay on Lacan as my supporting document to try and demonstrate my work. Hopefully that will be enough to give me a fighting chance of an offer.
While I don't know how big Lacan is at Cambridge, if there are appropriate supervisors available I suspect you won't be discounted on the basis of not fitting in with the department.
dukey2323
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is it true that there is a department meeting on Friday that decides/finalises most of the application responses?
dmorgendorffer
Report 1 month ago
Is it true that there is a department meeting on Friday that decides/finalises most of the application r
Thursday, the 21st is meant to be a dept meeting. But this may change due to lockdown (though not likely as they will have had some practice by now with meetings during lockdowns). They may also delegate out to sub-committees to decide the week after. I’ve been told by Anna Fox via email that the dept is aiming for last week of Jan or early Feb to send out decisions.
dukey2323
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dmorgendorffer)
Thursday, the 21st is meant to be a dept meeting. But this may change due to lockdown (though not likely as they will have had some practice by now with meetings during lockdowns). They may also delegate out to sub-committees to decide the week after. I’ve been told by Anna Fox via email that the dept is aiming for last week of Jan or early Feb to send out decisions.
Wow! Thanks for the info!
dmorgendorffer
Report 1 month ago
Wow! Thanks for the info!
Don’t want to get hopes too high about result dates tho! Per gradcafe, offers/rejections weren’t sent till mid Feb at the earliest last year :confused:
dukey2323
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don’t want to get hopes too high about result dates tho! Per gradcafe, offers/rejections weren’t sent till mid Feb at the earliest last year :confused:
Yes — I emailed the department last week as I’ve been waiting for ages and was worried my application got lost or something, and they said to expect a response around mid-Feb.
dmorgendorffer
Report 1 month ago
Yes — I emailed the department last week as I’ve been waiting for ages and was worried my application got lost or something, and they said to expect a response around mid-Feb.
Ahaha...guess they ran into some delays then! I was told end of January back in December >_<
bookworm0604
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ahaha...guess they ran into some delays then! I was told end of January back in December >_<
Just to add to the uncertainty, I also emailed the department and was told to expect news early Feb!
app2020
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I also heard mid-Feb.

I suspect that they've got more applications than they necessarily anticipated. Having spoken to people involved with admissions at other Unis, there are a lot more applications generally this year. I suspect that with the economy so battered, a lot of people are either coming out of uni and struggling to find work or have lost their jobs and are turning to postgraduate programs. Personally, three or so years of economic security is highly appealing, so it makes sense that there would be more applications during a particularly turbulent time.
TwoLimes
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by folklover)
MPhil in American Lit applicant here

Applied 2x before ... first time got accepted (but no funding), second time rejected (though kind of glad seeing how this academic year panned out).

Hoping third time's a charm!

What did you do your research proposals on? Mine covered Bill Bryson.
Good luck - I'm sure you're well versed in the application process, but if you have any questions drop me a PM, my MPhil was in American Literature
georgiaf
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Any PhD applicants know anything about whether or not we'll be interviewed? I did my MPhil in Ren lit at Cam last year and I have had a supervisor informally agree to supervise me over email, but just wondering if we'll have interviews? It says on the web page that interviews are not normally held as part of the admissions process but on gradcafe i can see that people have specified invitations/dates of interviews. Many thanks!
Mangoji
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by georgiaf)
Any PhD applicants know anything about whether or not we'll be interviewed? I did my MPhil in Ren lit at Cam last year and I have had a supervisor informally agree to supervise me over email, but just wondering if we'll have interviews? It says on the web page that interviews are not normally held as part of the admissions process but on gradcafe i can see that people have specified invitations/dates of interviews. Many thanks!
Unless things have changed from last year, yes, we will be interviewed. They were only informal 15-minute chats with a potential supervisor, though - nothing to stress about!
georgiaf
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mangoji)
Unless things have changed from last year, yes, we will be interviewed. They were only informal 15-minute chats with a potential supervisor, though - nothing to stress about!
Ah great, thanks!
dmorgendorffer
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mangoji)
It sounds like it varies per applicant—I had a good 30 min chat with my potential supervisor in December ☺️ That might be it or they may choose to have another interview, though!
dukey2323
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hopefully after that meeting today we will start to hear some news. Fingers crossed.
henry1999
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Has anybody's status changed today?
evamary
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by henry1999)
Has anybody's status changed today?
Nope! Yours?
henry1999
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by evamary)
Nope! Yours?
No; nothing :'-(
dukey2323
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’ve seen a few current/past MAsters students on here say that the graduate department meeting thing kick started waves of offers when they were applying, so let’s hope the trend continues
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (62)
12.94%
Virtual campus tours/open days (111)
23.17%
Live streaming events (44)
9.19%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (46)
9.6%
A uni comparison tool (109)
22.76%
An in-person event when available (107)
22.34%