The Student Room Group

MA/MPhil and PhD English Applicants 2021

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by dmorgendorffer
Have been on department review since December, but like lots of folks in the main thread say, none of the stages mean anything except GAO—it’s a manual process that depends on 1 or 2 people updating a dropdown menu when they have time!

Are you an international student or someone who had to apply to the earlier deadline?
Hopefully we will start hearing some things back next week, perhaps the week after.

I know they have told a few of us mid-Feb, but previous years (based on what I've seen on here) seemed to hear back a bit earlier than that, and I'm guessing they likely included a week or two as a safety buffer when they told us mid-Feb.

Any of you PhD applicants been through this process and might be able to shed some light?
Reply 42
Original post by dukey2323
Hopefully we will start hearing some things back next week, perhaps the week after.

I know they have told a few of us mid-Feb, but previous years (based on what I've seen on here) seemed to hear back a bit earlier than that, and I'm guessing they likely included a week or two as a safety buffer when they told us mid-Feb.

Any of you PhD applicants been through this process and might be able to shed some light?

The earliest I saw last year was mid-Feb!
Reply 43
Original post by dukey2323

Don't expect anything till March if you are applying for October, unless you've already had an interview/your profile and proposal are both exceptional.
Febraury may well bring some news though
Source: Did this last year as well.
Reply 44
Finally moved from 'submitted' to 'degree committee' this morning. Eep.
Original post by Mangoji
Finally moved from 'submitted' to 'degree committee' this morning. Eep.

me too! Phd Ren lit here - remind me what this means lol
Reply 46
Original post by georgiaf
me too! Phd Ren lit here - remind me what this means lol

I'm PhD Modern lit! I don't think it means much more than that they've opened our apps. But still, it's nice (and by 'nice' I mean anxiety-inducing) to see some progress.
Original post by Mangoji
I'm PhD Modern lit! I don't think it means much more than that they've opened our apps. But still, it's nice (and by 'nice' I mean anxiety-inducing) to see some progress.

ah great! Thank you!!
Reply 48
Still submitted for me. I applied to the straight 'English' PhD (I didn't think there were different subsections of English anymore?) but my research would have aligned with Culture and Criticism.
Reply 49
Original post by app2020
Still submitted for me. I applied to the straight 'English' PhD (I didn't think there were different subsections of English anymore?) but my research would have aligned with Culture and Criticism.

Yes, it was just straight English for everyone!
Exciting to hear there's been some movement for PhDs!

Any MPhil applicants had any changes? Still under department review for me.
Original post by folklover

Sounds like it’ll probably be next month we MPhil’s hear back.

Seems like a long wait, but just think that by this time next month you’ll probably know
Original post by folklover

Haven't been any changes for me either- I'm in the same space as you (under review by department). Fingers crossed!
About 5pm I was invited to an interview for the AHRC scholarship for a PhD tomorrow afternoon. Hope that's helpful. No idea if this means I'm through to another stage or if it's just routine. Best of luck all!
Reply 54
Original post by Oxford05
About 5pm I was invited to an interview for the AHRC scholarship for a PhD tomorrow afternoon. Hope that's helpful. No idea if this means I'm through to another stage or if it's just routine. Best of luck all!

Congratulations! What uni was it for?
(edited 3 years ago)
Any MPhils still on submitted? I know it's normal, but I can't say I'm not stressed! Best of luck everyone!
Original post by likesenglish12
Any MPhils still on submitted? I know it's normal, but I can't say I'm not stressed! Best of luck everyone!

me too
What is the difference between "submitted" and "under review by department"- what event prompts them to change it?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by henry1999
What is the difference between "submitted" and under review by department- what event prompts them to change it?

No idea mines been on under review by department since like October
Reply 59
What MPhil strands have people applied for?! I'm still on submitted too btw

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending