MA/MPhil and PhD English Applicants 2021

Watch
Mangoji
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How many people are still on “submitted”? I’m wondering if I should send an email yet or not.
evamary
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mangoji)
How many people are still on “submitted”? I’m wondering if I should send an email yet or not.
If you do please let us know what they say!
Mangoji
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by evamary)
If you do please let us know what they say!
I will do. I was so convinced that I spent ages on the “submitted” stage last year, so wasn’t worried, but I went through my old posts and saw that the status actually changed three days after submitting my application!

It probably doesn’t mean anything... just as long as I’m not the only one still there, lol.
dukey2323
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I emailed them last week and they said they are busy and to expect decisions around mid February
app2020
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dukey2323)
I emailed them last week and they said they are busy and to expect decisions around mid February
I am also still on 'submitted'. I emailed last week and they also said this. It either means they haven't got round to ours yet, or the admin hasn't updated the portal yet. I suspect they're very buried with applications and COVID-related changes.

EDIT: Thinking on this, I imagine the admin department is very, very overwhelmed right now with all the postgrad students who are suddenly having to make sudden changes to their research and other access issues COVID has presented. I maybe wouldn't rely on the portal for up to date info as they will need to support current students. Not the best news for us, but Cambridge wasn't expecting to close until a few days before term started, so they're trying to keep up everything.
Last edited by app2020; 1 month ago
sangriasupernova
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Mine is still on submitted too.
app2020
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is anyone *not* on submitted for the PhD program?
dmorgendorffer
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by app2020)
Is anyone *not* on submitted for the PhD program?
Have been on department review since December, but like lots of folks in the main thread say, none of the stages mean anything except GAO—it’s a manual process that depends on 1 or 2 people updating a dropdown menu when they have time!
app2020
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dmorgendorffer)
Have been on department review since December, but like lots of folks in the main thread say, none of the stages mean anything except GAO—it’s a manual process that depends on 1 or 2 people updating a dropdown menu when they have time!
Are you an international student or someone who had to apply to the earlier deadline?
dukey2323
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hopefully we will start hearing some things back next week, perhaps the week after.

I know they have told a few of us mid-Feb, but previous years (based on what I've seen on here) seemed to hear back a bit earlier than that, and I'm guessing they likely included a week or two as a safety buffer when they told us mid-Feb.

Any of you PhD applicants been through this process and might be able to shed some light?
Mangoji
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hopefully we will start hearing some things back next week, perhaps the week after.

I know they have told a few of us mid-Feb, but previous years (based on what I've seen on here) seemed to hear back a bit earlier than that, and I'm guessing they likely included a week or two as a safety buffer when they told us mid-Feb.

Any of you PhD applicants been through this process and might be able to shed some light?
The earliest I saw last year was mid-Feb!
dmorgendorffer
Report 1 month ago
Are you an international student or someone who had to apply to the earlier deadline?
Nope and nope—heard back from prospective supe in Oct and we had a chat in Nov; status changed somewhere around then. Guessing that bc I got my app in early, I managed to avoid the rush? Who knows though—really difficult to guess why.
Last edited by dmorgendorffer; 1 month ago
ev78
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Don't expect anything till March if you are applying for October, unless you've already had an interview/your profile and proposal are both exceptional.
Febraury may well bring some news though
Source: Did this last year as well.
Mangoji
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Finally moved from 'submitted' to 'degree committee' this morning. Eep.
georgiaf
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Finally moved from 'submitted' to 'degree committee' this morning. Eep.
me too! Phd Ren lit here - remind me what this means lol
Mangoji
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by georgiaf)
me too! Phd Ren lit here - remind me what this means lol
I'm PhD Modern lit! I don't think it means much more than that they've opened our apps. But still, it's nice (and by 'nice' I mean anxiety-inducing) to see some progress.
georgiaf
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm PhD Modern lit! I don't think it means much more than that they've opened our apps. But still, it's nice (and by 'nice' I mean anxiety-inducing) to see some progress.
ah great! Thank you!!
app2020
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Still submitted for me. I applied to the straight 'English' PhD (I didn't think there were different subsections of English anymore?) but my research would have aligned with Culture and Criticism.
Mangoji
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Still submitted for me. I applied to the straight 'English' PhD (I didn't think there were different subsections of English anymore?) but my research would have aligned with Culture and Criticism.
Yes, it was just straight English for everyone!
folklover
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Exciting to hear there's been some movement for PhDs!

Any MPhil applicants had any changes? Still under department review for me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (71)
12.18%
Virtual campus tours/open days (142)
24.36%
Live streaming events (51)
8.75%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.43%
A uni comparison tool (135)
23.16%
An in-person event when available (129)
22.13%