The Student Room Group

MA/MPhil and PhD English Applicants 2021

Scroll to see replies

Apparently the results of the GSSC are out (according to the main Oxford thread). That combined with an email from my supervisor asking me if I had any avenues for funding is making me feel pretty certain that I haven't secured a scholarship. Feeling pretty dejected, though I guess it's not over until it actually is. Is anyone here considering doing their PhD part-time and self funding it? I know most people advise against it but honestly I just like researching and writing in my spare time anyway - feel as though I may as well get a PhD from Oxford at the end of it if I can do so...
Original post by cultoferos
Apparently the results of the GSSC are out (according to the main Oxford thread). That combined with an email from my supervisor asking me if I had any avenues for funding is making me feel pretty certain that I haven't secured a scholarship. Feeling pretty dejected, though I guess it's not over until it actually is. Is anyone here considering doing their PhD part-time and self funding it? I know most people advise against it but honestly I just like researching and writing in my spare time anyway - feel as though I may as well get a PhD from Oxford at the end of it if I can do so...

I thought the GSSC was for the Medical Sciences Division?
Original post by fundques1
I thought the GSSC was for the Medical Sciences Division?

Hmm yeah I dunno, their comment seemed a little ambiguous to me. I hope you're right, and it was just for that division and not university wide... just with the timing of my supervisor asking me and the person in that thread saying all scholarships had been decided got me assuming things.
Original post by cultoferos
Hmm yeah I dunno, their comment seemed a little ambiguous to me. I hope you're right, and it was just for that division and not university wide... just with the timing of my supervisor asking me and the person in that thread saying all scholarships had been decided got me assuming things.

I don't know the ins and outs of it by any stretch, but the only reference to a Graduate School Studentship Competition I can find is in relation to the Medical Sciences Division. I'm not sure if the Humanities Division operates a similar competition, with formal notification of success.

I asked the Faculty if I'd been nominated for funding and was told that this year the Faculty has decided not to tell applicants whether or not they've been nominated. Makes for a more frustrating experience! Just have to sit and wait and see if an email from Clarendon or the AHRC arrives sometime over the next month or so.
Reply 844
Original post by hmus
Stuck at PAO for Crit and Culture too! Hoping for movement this week.

Here again to report that I am still on PAO. :frown: Anyone else?
Original post by hmus
Here again to report that I am still on PAO. :frown: Anyone else?

Same here :+( When my application moved to PAO though it happened like mid-afternoon, so still holding on for some movement today before the weekend but we shall see...
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 846
Original post by p1ge0n-b0y
Same here :+( When my application moved to PAO though it happened like mid-afternoon, so still holding on for some movement today before the weekend but we shall see...

I just checked my portal and the status has updated to "Conditional offer made!" :smile: It says an email will come in the next 48 hours. Portal moved to PAO on March 1st, so I recommend checking yours as well!
Original post by hmus
I just checked my portal and the status has updated to "Conditional offer made!" :smile: It says an email will come in the next 48 hours. Portal moved to PAO on March 1st, so I recommend checking yours as well!

Hey congratulations! That's so great, you must be super pleased. Mine is still at PAO at the moment, which makes sense since my portal moved on 3rd March, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye out from now on!
Reply 848
For any who have been accepted by Cambridge: any word from the department about funding at all? :smile:
Has anyone who got a Cambridge offer heard back re: Colleges yet? Obviously it'll take it's sweet time (as everything at Camrbidge seems to), but I just want to know already...
Original post by hmus
For any who have been accepted by Cambridge: any word from the department about funding at all? :smile:

Nope! Does anyone know if the department tends to provide insight or whether we'll just be waiting blindly?
Original post by wmcgonagall
Has anyone who got a Cambridge offer heard back re: Colleges yet? Obviously it'll take it's sweet time (as everything at Camrbidge seems to), but I just want to know already..

Yep: got my first pref. (Peterhouse) circa 4 working days after getting the "formal" offer through for the PhD. I had expected it to take longer and I couldn't tell you why it moved relatively quickly.

Original post by hmus

Afraid not, but glad we're all in it together.
Original post by wmcgonagall
Has anyone who got a Cambridge offer heard back re: Colleges yet? Obviously it'll take it's sweet time (as everything at Camrbidge seems to), but I just want to know already...

I also heard back really quickly. I was accepted to my 1st choice (Clare) on Friday!
Original post by hmus

When I moved to PAO I asked Anna Fox (who's very friendly and helpful) if I'd been nominated for funding and she confirmed that I had been. Even though many consider it to be an annoyance, it may be worth emailing her to ask.
Reply 854
Original post by Tesdytes
When I moved to PAO I asked Anna Fox (who's very friendly and helpful) if I'd been nominated for funding and she confirmed that I had been. Even though many consider it to be an annoyance, it may be worth emailing her to ask.

Congratulations on your nomination!! I hope it works out for you :smile: I've been hesitant to email so far, but I just did. I really didn't think I would get an offer from Cambridge so I wasn't too fixated on the cost, but I am now, lol. I'm an international student and couldn't get my application in in time for Gates funding, so hoping that the Trust throws a few pennies at me.
Original post by dmorgendorffer
Went to PAO on 5 March. Anyone else from around that period also still waiting?

Yeah, glad you posted this because I went to PAO on the 3rd of March and still haven't seen any movement. It still says on the postgraduate admissions page that they're processing offers 'within 8 days' but I think they're just super delayed. Hopefully we'll both hear back sometime this week though.
I can confirm they are really delayed - PAO took well over two weeks to get back to me last month. As I have a slightly unusual educational background and saw people pass me who'd gone to PAO after me I got really nervous, but turns out their estimates are just way off, and not everything gets handled chronologically.
Original post by pgapps2021
I can confirm they are really delayed - PAO took well over two weeks to get back to me last month. As I have a slightly unusual educational background and saw people pass me who'd gone to PAO after me I got really nervous, but turns out their estimates are just way off, and not everything gets handled chronologically.

Ah okay, yeah that's very annoying but also kinda understandable given how the pandemic must be throwing off their admissions process. From what I've seen the PAO processes things either within like 4 days or after a matter of weeks, so I guess no one can really predict how long it'll take. Glad it worked out for you in the end though and hopefully the same will be said for those of us still waiting!
Reply 858
Emailed Anna Fox yesterday and she let me know that the department didn't put me forward for Trust funding. A let down, but now I know to look elsewhere!

Also checked my portal and saw I was unsuccessful at Jesus College (second choice). Unfortunately, I didn't do too much research about colleges before I added my first and second choices and simply chose the ones that looked most central....should have educated myself more about how colleges/college funding works.
My portal just updated to 'conditional offer made' for the MPhil in American literature :- ))

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending