MA/MPhil and PhD English Applicants 2021

Watch
sofmia
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by wmcgonagall)
I’m doing Medieval and Renaissance (erring towards the Ren side of things) so would love to hear about anyone else doing it!
I'm also applying for Medieval and Renaissance! Still under review by the department, so no updates
wmcgonagall
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sofmia)
I'm also applying for Medieval and Renaissance! Still under review by the department, so no updates
Yes, same ... it’s just been months of refreshing the page and fretting, love it 👌
ohwell1996
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by evamary)
What MPhil strands have people applied for?! I'm still on submitted too btw
Modern and Contemporary
evamary
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by henry1999)
Modern and Contemporary Literature; you?
Cool! c.18 and Romantic
dukey2323
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How am I going to wait until mid-Feb?

The worst part is that I need funding to go, so even if I do get in I’ll most likely have to wait until March-Apr to hear back from funding. An offer would mean nothing without funding.

Soooooooo muchhhhhhh waittinnnggggg and uncertaintyyyyyyy
Advertisement
odela81
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Got an email from the dept secretary earlier today asking urgently whether I had applied for AHRC from another OOC uni because Cambridge could consider me if not (PhD applicant) - I've applied through Oxford though so I couldn't. Interpreting this as a good sign as she said "we can put you forward for other funding" - anyone any insights?? My application still says "submitted" in the portal
Last edited by odela81; 1 month ago
dukey2323
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
And congrats to all you PhD students!

Seems like they are getting PhD admissions sorted first before us Masters
Advertisement
Mangoji
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by odela81)
Got an email from the dept secretary earlier today asking urgently whether I had applied for AHRC from another OOC uni because Cambridge could consider me if not (PhD applicant) - I've applied through Oxford though so I couldn't. Interpreting this as a good sign as she said "we can put you forward for other funding" - anyone any insights?? My application still says "submitted" in the portal
I'd take this as a very good sign - seems like they really want you funded! Congratulations!
ev78
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by henry1999)
If they were to get back to you in March (which seems to be the reasonable worst-case scenario) would that leave you enough time? but I still have to hand in my Master's Thesis, so I won't have much time to plan
It would be tight to say the least because I still have to hand in my Master's Thesis and pick up said degree before leaving here at the very least. I would still have to do those things but the process would be much smoother and much less expensive if I could actually plan ahead as soon as possible. I'm actually sort of hoping I get into to Bristol or Durham sooner so I'd begin my planning anyway but all Universities have similar timelines. Cambridge is at least somewhat transparent about the status of your Application, if somewhat vague.
Advertisement
dukey2323
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Seems like some applicants from other departments are getting decisions on their MPhil applications... I’m so jealous :bawling:

Though saying that, sounds like we should be hearing back within 2-3 weeks
folklover
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
First time I applied to American Lit MPhil I got my acceptance on 1 Feb 2019, the second time I was rejected on 13 Feb 2020.
Advertisement
evamary
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Anyone's MPhil status moved to degree committee? I hear that all applicants go to degree committee in English, but nice to move from submitted
folklover
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Anyone's MPhil status moved to degree committee? I hear that all applicants go to degree committee in English, but nice to move from submitted
Nothing yet
Advertisement
evamary
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by folklover)
Nothing yet
It won't mean anything, don't worry. I'm pretty sure everyone in English goes there, even if they don't update some of our portals.
folklover
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It won't mean anything, don't worry. I'm pretty sure everyone in English goes there, even if they don't update some of our portals.
Thank you! It's very good to hear there's been some movement on our portals, either way. I'd been beginning to think our applications fell down the back of a radiator.

Hopefully we'll have some decisions soon.
evamary
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you! It's very good to hear there's been some movement on our portals, either way. I'd been beginning to think our applications fell down the back of a radiator.

Hopefully we'll have some decisions soon.
Hope so! Can't be tooo long now
dukey2323
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Mine is still on ‘under review’

Now I want mine to change :argh:
Advertisement
folklover
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dukey2323)
Mine is still on ‘under review’

Now I want mine to change :argh:
I wonder why it would be that some applicants move to degree committee but others don't?

Do the administrators not move all of the applications through at the same time?
evamary
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I wonder why it would be that some applicants move to degree committee but others don't?

Do the administrators not move all of the applications through at the same time?
I know last year each MPhil strand found out their application outcome at slightly different times, meaning that they deal with each strand separately (although could be wrong ofc!)
folklover
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I know last year each MPhil strand found out their application outcome at slightly different times, meaning that they deal with each strand separately (although could be wrong ofc!)
Oh, that's interesting! Thanks for explaining.

I applied to American Lit and still under department review.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (71)
12.14%
Virtual campus tours/open days (142)
24.27%
Live streaming events (51)
8.72%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.4%
A uni comparison tool (136)
23.25%
An in-person event when available (130)
22.22%