username3994304
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi I am not sure which a level to pick along with maths and computer science. Which subject would open the most careers with my other options. I know I would like a career in something maths related like accounting but need something as a backup. Thanks
i_love_dogs
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HMajid198)
Hi I am not sure which a level to pick along with maths and computer science. Which subject would open the most careers with my other options. I know I would like a career in something maths related like accounting but need something as a backup. Thanks
chemistry > biology. I did both, and I found bio stressful with all the content. ppl say chem is really hard, but it honestly isn't if you keep on top of it (the same as any a level). chem also has more mathsy stuff in it, which is more applicable to accounting. chem is also a requirement for medicine, which would be a good back up choice.
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It really depends what careers you're interested in. Biology would open up (unsurprisingly) more life science related options, like biochem/biotech/biomed etc. Chemistry would probably open careers in the physical sciences, so materials science, some kinds of engineering like chem eng, and chemistry etc. There will also be overlap, like choosing either will be fine for some subjects (pharmacology, most healthcare degrees). It's not just about which will open the most doors, it's also about which doors you actually want to have open, if that makes sense!

Equally think about which one you'd prefer studying and will get the grade you need in. If you know you really enjoy maths and want a maths heavy future degree/career, why not physics or FM though?
halbsp
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by i_love_dogs)
chemistry > biology. I did both, and I found bio stressful with all the content. ppl say chem is really hard, but it honestly isn't if you keep on top of it (the same as any a level). chem also has more mathsy stuff in it, which is more applicable to accounting. chem is also a requirement for medicine, which would be a good back up choice.
i completely second this. chemistry just makes more sense for me and if u have a mathsy brain i would recommend doing chem.
username3994304
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanks for the help. I forgot to mention that I will be doing further maths as well - I'll probably start with chemistry and switch to biology if I don't like it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (43)
31.85%
No - I have already returned home (16)
11.85%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (27)
20%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (11)
8.15%
No - I live at home during term anyway (38)
28.15%

Watched Threads