Getting from a grade 5 to a grade 7/8

Watch
x.bqueen.x
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I used to think my school was a pretty good school but I realised all my other friends from other schools were getting grade 8s while I'm still on a grade 5. One of my friend who was at bottom set moved to a new school and was now getting grade 7s. Is it possible for me to get from a grade 5 to a grade 7/8 from now until GCSEs?
bacter1a
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes for sure what subject, maybe you need to tweak your revision technique?
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, find out what the best revision method is for you. You can search online and experiment the different methods
x.bqueen.x
Rep:
?
(Original post by bacter1a)
Yes for sure what subject, maybe you need to tweak your revision technique?
Maths I'm actually struggling with the most because since year 8 I have been doing foundation and I'm now doing higher so maths is my top priority. I get grade 5's in English but my expected grade is a 6 but I've never managed to get a 6. What revision techniques do you recommend?
bacter1a
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by x.bqueen.x)
Maths I'm actually struggling with the most because since year 8 I have been doing foundation and I'm now doing higher so maths is my top priority. I get grade 5's in English but my expected grade is a 6 but I've never managed to get a 6. What revision techniques do you recommend?
I went from a 6 to a 9 by doing every single practise question in my textbook, every practise question online and every past paper. With maths once you have learnt your formulas off by heart, the best practise is past papers because i found they repeat the same type of questions every year, so if you practise enough of them you will know how to answer the majority when it comes to the exam.
Blue_skies124
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
GCSEs are all about memorisation
Learn all of the science cgp revision guides, using the spec
For maths, do LOADS of past papers which are on fastpastpapers and then learn from your mistakes by marking them and understanding where you went wrong.
I improved a lot from year 10 to 11 through hard work so it’s possible
What subjects are you doing?
Mikos
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Try the website mathsgenie for maths- excellent tutorials and practice questions, highly recommend.
For English there is a lot of stuff on youtube eg Mr Bruff
x.bqueen.x
Rep:
?
(Original post by bacter1a)
I went from a 6 to a 9 by doing every single practise question in my textbook, every practise question online and every past paper. With maths once you have learnt your formulas off by heart, the best practise is past papers because i found they repeat the same type of questions every year, so if you practise enough of them you will know how to answer the majority when it comes to the exam.
Thank you so much! I've asked a lot of question but is there any websites you recommend for Science and maths?
x.bqueen.x
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mikos)
Try the website mathsgenie for maths- excellent tutorials and practice questions, highly recommend.
Thank you so much!
Panjsuce
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Which subjects? This is definitely very very achievable btw )
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Math is skill purely. I went from a complete failure (dyscalculia) to the lowest grade possible (1) in the space of six months. You will be fine. Just do practice questions and make use of flashcards. Good luck!
x.bqueen.x
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mikos)
Thank you so much!

(Original post by Blue_skies124)
GCSEs are all about memorisation
Learn all of the science cgp revision guides, using the spec
For maths, do LOADS of past papers which are on fastpastpapers and then learn from your mistakes by marking them and understanding where you went wrong.
I improved a lot from year 10 to 11 through hard work so it’s possible
What subjects are you doing?
Maths, English language and literature, Just started doing statistics, Health & Social (don't really think you can revise that), Spanish (Not too bothered about) and combined science
x.bqueen.x
Rep:
?
(Original post by tinygirl96)
Math is skill purely. I went from a complete failure (dyscalculia) to the lowest grade possible (1) in the space of six months. You will be fine. Just do practice questions and make use of flashcards. Good luck!
I appreciate it, thank you!
x.bqueen.x
Rep:
?
(Original post by Panjsuce)
Which subjects? This is definitely very very achievable btw )
English language and literature, Statistics ,Maths, Combined science, Spanish and health and social care
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
These are good: https://www.missbsresources.com/teac...mathspassports
x.bqueen.x
Rep:
?
Thank you so much!
Blue_skies124
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
One of my friends did stats and she said she did loads of past papers because the same questions always came up and constantly watched YouTube videos explaining topics and then doing questions after.
For English lit, it depends on the books but I had a booklet with the plot for each stave or chapter, then relevant quotes and interpretations and I memorised that. We did loads of essays too.
x.bqueen.x
Rep:
?
(Original post by Blue_skies124)
One of my friends did stats and she said she did loads of past papers because the same questions always came up and constantly watched YouTube videos explaining topics and then doing questions after.
For English lit, it depends on the books but I had a booklet with the plot for each stave or chapter, then relevant quotes and interpretations and I memorised that. We did loads of essays too.
Oh okay, thank you!
bacter1a
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so much! I've asked a lot of question but is there any websites you recommend for Science and maths?
No problem maths physics tutor, Corbett maths, maths genie those are the ones I used, but there are plenty online
Blue_skies124
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I forgot to add, you need to be consistent. Revise nearly every single day but not all day. Revise everyday but have a limit for when you stop.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (130)
28.51%
No - I have already returned home (62)
13.6%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (89)
19.52%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (42)
9.21%
No - I live at home during term anyway (133)
29.17%

Watched Threads