Magazine journalism? What creative course should I do?

Watch
millyeawhite
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,
I am currently studying for my a levels in Graphics, Photography and English language. I am applying for uni for 2021 am still very indecisive about what I want to do. I have considered graphic design, art history, theatre design, creative writing etc but I’ve yet to feel committed to one. My issue is I am creative but also academic, and I am concerned a degree in graphic design will shut my options to only being a graphic designer- when I am also good at writing. I see myself working for the creative side of a magazine/publishing/marketing and I just don’t know what course to choose! I have seen a course at UCA and UAL which is magazine journalism and production which I really like the look of but from what I can see they are the only available courses. If anyone has any advice or knows of any other courses you think may suit me please let me know! I don’t want to take an art foundation as I know what type of art I like doing and I’m not keen on a gap year either. Sorry for the length of this and thank you!!
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by millyeawhite)
Hi,
I am currently studying for my a levels in Graphics, Photography and English language. I am applying for uni for 2021 am still very indecisive about what I want to do. I have considered graphic design, art history, theatre design, creative writing etc but I’ve yet to feel committed to one. My issue is I am creative but also academic, and I am concerned a degree in graphic design will shut my options to only being a graphic designer- when I am also good at writing. I see myself working for the creative side of a magazine/publishing/marketing and I just don’t know what course to choose! I have seen a course at UCA and UAL which is magazine journalism and production which I really like the look of but from what I can see they are the only available courses. If anyone has any advice or knows of any other courses you think may suit me please let me know! I don’t want to take an art foundation as I know what type of art I like doing and I’m not keen on a gap year either. Sorry for the length of this and thank you!!
Hi Milly - have you thought of studying for a degree in Communications? have a look at our new Communications programmes at https://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/com on the academic side of your search but does have creative elements too. If you are interested we have our on-line Open Days on Friday and Saturday this week (30th and 31st October) from 10.00-16:00. Pop over to https://exeter.online-event.co - sign in on the day and you can find out more about the programme , watch presentations and chat to staff.
You are doing the right thing by really scoping out your options and looking around.
Let me know if there is anything more you need.
Karen - University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
millyeawhite
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team)
Hi Milly - have you thought of studying for a degree in Communications? have a look at our new Communications programmes at https://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/com on the academic side of your search but does have creative elements too. If you are interested we have our on-line Open Days on Friday and Saturday this week (30th and 31st October) from 10.00-16:00. Pop over to https://exeter.online-event.co - sign in on the day and you can find out more about the programme , watch presentations and chat to staff.
You are doing the right thing by really scoping out your options and looking around.
Let me know if there is anything more you need.
Thanks for replying, the course looks great. Obviously if I applied I would have to find 4 other courses aswell. Do you know what the equivalent would be at other unis?
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for replying, the course looks great. Obviously if I applied I would have to find 4 other courses aswell. Do you know what the equivalent would be at other unis?
Hi Milly - the beauty of the UCAS application form is that not all courses need be exactly the same. For example, my daughter applied for Psychology, Linguistics and Speech and Language Sciences courses all in the one application. Obviously there is a common thread between these courses and that was what she discussed in her statement - clearly demonstrating her passion for the science of language. We get applicants who are applying for English, History, and English & History combined at different universities. So, to stop the English professor/admissions team scratching their heads as to why the statement suddenly launches into History topics, I suggest that at the beginning of your statement you say something along the lines of for example: 'I have applied for (single and joint honours) courses relating to Communications and Marketing.' Therefore you will not have to worry too much about finding exactly similar courses for your other choices.
I also forgot to mention in my previous post that at Exeter we operate a free-choice module system that enables students to study subjects out of their programme (assuming timetabling works) You could therefore add Marketing modules, to your Communications degree, study a language etc. We encourage students to do this a it enriches their education, gives new and unexpected perspectives to their core studies and gives our students skill-sets that others do not have.
Hope that this helps - as I say pop into our Open Day tomorrow or Saturday and you can ask more in-depth questions about the course and your options.
Karen - University of Exeter Student Recruitemt Team
millyeawhite
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team)
Hi Milly - the beauty of the UCAS application form is that not all courses need be exactly the same. For example, my daughter applied for Psychology, Linguistics and Speech and Language Sciences courses all in the one application. Obviously there is a common thread between these courses and that was what she discussed in her statement - clearly demonstrating her passion for the science of language. We get applicants who are applying for English, History, and English & History combined at different universities. So, to stop the English professor/admissions team scratching their heads as to why the statement suddenly launches into History topics, I suggest that at the beginning of your statement you say something along the lines of for example: 'I have applied for (single and joint honours) courses relating to Communications and Marketing.' Therefore you will not have to worry too much about finding exactly similar courses for your other choices.
I also forgot to mention in my previous post that at Exeter we operate a free-choice module system that enables students to study subjects out of their programme (assuming timetabling works) You could therefore add Marketing modules, to your Communications degree, study a language etc. We encourage students to do this a it enriches their education, gives new and unexpected perspectives to their core studies and gives our students skill-sets that others do not have.
Hope that this helps - as I say pop into our Open Day tomorrow or Saturday and you can ask more in-depth questions about the course and your options.
Karen - University of Exeter Student Recruitemt Team
Hi,

So for example could I apply for:
Communications
Graphic Communications
Magazine journalism and production
Creative writing and publishing

Or would they be too different?
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

So for example could I apply for:
Communications
Graphic Communications
Magazine journalism and production
Creative writing and publishing

Or would they be too different?
Hi Milly - I see no problem with that, what you have to do is explain what it is that inspires you to study this area. What is the common link between all those courses, do you have career aspirations that you can back up with reading, research, work experience etc. Universities do not see the other courses that you are applying for (UCAS take that part out - so we also do not know the order that you have put us down in) so, as long as you ensure that each university reading your personal statement can see the link with their course, you will be fine.
This sounds like a real test for your creative communication skills!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (113)
28.11%
No - I have already returned home (52)
12.94%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (80)
19.9%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (39)
9.7%
No - I live at home during term anyway (118)
29.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed