Is the UK/rest of Europe strict with benzo prescriptions?

Watch
hijackedbrother
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I don't live in the UK at the moment but will most likely move there for a Masters in Computer Science. I'm in Ireland and see a psychiatrist for a few mental problems (depression, Aspergers, psychosis). I've had a few and the last two refused to prescribe me benzos. The time I was able to receive them was from my GP who was an elderly man (presumably used to the days where benzos were prescribed liberally) and gave me what some would consider to be an excess. Didn't know what they were at the time I asked them but I just said that I had anxiety and he gave me x50 tablets of 2mg diazepam on a flight to the States.

I've talked to my relatives in California and they say that although physicians there are wary of prescribing things like benzos, opiates due to the crackdown by the Drug Enforcement Agency, their 'strict' version is still way laxer than Ireland and I'd wage stricter than most European countries in general. My cousins in the US suffer from anxiety and get 500mcg/0.5mg of Xanax per day every two months. Don't think a doctor here or in the UK would do that. Even in in-patient. It's usually short term.

Do you know why?
Last edited by hijackedbrother; 1 month ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hijackedbrother)
I don't live in the UK at the moment but will most likely move there for a Masters in Computer Science. I'm in Ireland and see a psychiatrist for a few mental problems (depression, Aspergers, psychosis). I've had a few and the last two refused to prescribe me benzos. The time I was able to receive them was from my GP who was an elderly man (presumably used to the days where benzos were prescribed liberally) and gave me what some would consider to be an excess. Didn't know what they were at the time I asked them but I just said that I had anxiety and he gave me x50 tablets of 2mg diazepam on a flight to the States.

I've talked to my relatives in California and they say that although physicians there are wary of prescribing things like benzos, opiates due to the crackdown by the Drug Enforcement Agency, their 'strict' version is still way laxer than Ireland and I'd wage stricter than most European countries in general. My cousins in the US suffer from anxiety and get 500mcg/0.5mg of Xanax per day every two months. Don't think a doctor here or in the UK would do that. Even in in-patient. It's usually short term.

Do you know why?
Because they are addictive and linked to many problems. You can get them very short term, but Drs here would prefer you tackled the cause rather than drig up tp opoids.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes, the UK is strict on benzo prescribing - quite rightly so.
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes, the U.K. has strict laws on prescribing benzodiazepines because as mentioned above, they are addictive (as well as other side effects).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (19)
28.79%
No - I have already returned home (8)
12.12%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (13)
19.7%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (5)
7.58%
No - I live at home during term anyway (21)
31.82%

Watched Threads