Nafi lubdn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I'm in year 13 and considering a gap year to apply to Oxbridge for engineering. My teachers predicted me AAA( even though we never took any exams for it, since lockdown started), and I believe it is highly under representative of my actual capability(as I've had extenuating circumstances during year 12 mocks). I haven't taken up further maths either, studying maths, physics, chemistry atm. I know my chances at top universities like Oxbridge are completely jeopardised due to my predicted and not having Fm(even though I sent off my ucas application to imperial). I've thought about adjustments, but I've realised these unis is very unlikely to even place an offer for such competitive course like engineering. Other unis I'm applying to are Bristol, Manchester, Nottingham and Queens Mary (for aerospace engineering). I've already received a contextual offer to study at Bristol (due to participating in next step programme) and still awaiting from imperial, and the unis I mentioned above. I'm also considering a year in industry placement along with full a level further maths during my gap year. Is this idea possible, or is year in industry is going to be too intensive, that I won't have to time to consolidate for further maths?. I'm planning my gap year beforhand, since I don't know if I'll go for it, depending on circumstances of what unis I get offers from.
bant_bus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi. Try to reach out to the unis directly and see what they say. More crucially, figure out if you actually want to go to oxbridge cos it gives you a good robotics education, and not for the name. the unis you mentioned in this post, they are ll vastly different in uni culture, course, and grad opportunities. Oxbridge don't have a very good Eng course for the 21st century. Reach out to people that go to these unis and ask questions

(Original post by Nafi lubdn)
Hi, I'm in year 13 and considering a gap year to apply to Oxbridge for engineering. My teachers predicted me AAA( even though we never took any exams for it, since lockdown started), and I believe it is highly under representative of my actual capability(as I've had extenuating circumstances during year 12 mocks). I haven't taken up further maths either, studying maths, physics, chemistry atm. I know my chances at top universities like Oxbridge are completely jeopardised due to my predicted and not having Fm(even though I sent off my ucas application to imperial). I've thought about adjustments, but I've realised these unis is very unlikely to even place an offer for such competitive course like engineering. Other unis I'm applying to are Bristol, Manchester, Nottingham and Queens Mary (for aerospace engineering). I've already received a contextual offer to study at Bristol (due to participating in next step programme) and still awaiting from imperial, and the unis I mentioned above. I'm also considering a year in industry placement along with full a level further maths during my gap year. Is this idea possible, or is year in industry is going to be too intensive, that I won't have to time to consolidate for further maths?. I'm planning my gap year beforhand, since I don't know if I'll go for it, depending on circumstances of what unis I get offers from.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A good option is to find a way to improve your teamwork etc. Learn a new skill as well and have fun. Find a accredited course or training provider too. Good luck. There are companies offering some new exciting foreign volunteering opportunities for gap year students so do take a look. Make notes. Get a phone number or email address.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (64)
27.83%
No - I have already returned home (25)
10.87%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (50)
21.74%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (22)
9.57%
No - I live at home during term anyway (69)
30%

Watched Threads