Can I skip this page - Differentiation AS Pure Maths

Watch
GogetaORvegito?
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
This page looks really straight forward. It's just about drawing tangents to gradients...can I just skip this and move on. Or am I missing something here? This is from the edexcel text book:
Name:  Screenshot (271).png
Views: 7
Size:  410.6 KBName:  Screenshot (272).png
Size:  358.6 KB
Haywood1743
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by GogetaORvegito?)
This page looks really straight forward. It's just about drawing tangents to gradients...can I just skip this and move on. Or am I missing something here? This is from the edexcel text book:
Name:  Screenshot (271).png
Size:  410.6 KBName:  Screenshot (272).png
Size:  358.6 KB
I think this is more of an introduction to tangents before differentiation so if you know and understand how both work and the relationship between the 2 then you definitely can.
GogetaORvegito?
Rep:
?
(Original post by Haywood1743)
I think this is more of an introduction to tangents before differentiation so if you know and understand how both work and the relationship between the 2 then you definitely can.
Yeah the questions are not even actual exam questions. It's just to do with calculating the gradients and say what you notice about them. Thanks for the heads up
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No - i the specification [which you need to download] it says: "differentiation from first principles for small positive integer powers .. page 26

https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...ion-issue4.pdf
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah the questions are not even actual exam questions. It's just to do with calculating the gradients and say what you notice about them. Thanks for the heads up
This is on the spec
variableSix
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't think the book is that great at explaining differentiation from first principle though, I would check out Eddie Woo's videos on that topic to understand it more easily

(Original post by Muttley79)
No - i the specification [which you need to download] it says: "differentiation from first principles for small positive integer powers .. page 26

Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by variableSix)
I don't think the book is that great at explaining differentiation from first principle though, I would check out Eddie Woo's videos on that topic to understand it more easily
I think you have replied to the wrong poster
GogetaORvegito?
Rep:
?

Oh but how is that to do with calculating gradients. The first principle is talked about in the next topic called "12.2 - Finding the derivative."
Last edited by GogetaORvegito?; 1 month ago
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh but how is that to do with calculating gradients. The first principle is talked about on the next page which is a different topic called "Finding the derivative."
Look at the questions with h in it ... this is effectively differentiation from first principles or leading into it - it would not be in the book if you could ignore it! Differentiation is finding the gradient ...
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh but how is that to do with calculating gradients. The first principle is talked about on the next page which is a different topic called "Finding the derivative." Look at the text book if you want more information file:///C:/AS%20Pure%20Maths/Edexcel...z-lib.org).pdf
The derivative is what you get if you calculate the limit as h\to 0 of the gradient of the chord between (x, f(x)) and (x+h, f(x+h)).

The whole point of the example you linked in the first post is to illustrate the idea that if you take smaller and smaller values for 'h' in calculating your chord, the gradient settles down to a value representing the gradient of the curve.
GogetaORvegito?
Rep:
?
Look at the questions with h in it ... this is effectively differentiation from first principles or leading into it - it would not be in the book if you could ignore it! Differentiation is finding the gradient ...
I understand that the explanation is linked with this page but the questions I want to skip because they look so useless:
Name:  Screenshot (275).png
Views: 8
Size:  353.4 KBName:  Screenshot (276).png
Size:  74.1 KB
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I understand that the explanation is linked with this page but the questions I want to skip because they look so useless:
Name:  Screenshot (275).png
Views: 8
Size:  353.4 KBName:  Screenshot (276).png
Size:  74.1 KB
It's not going to kill you to miss them if you insist. But if you can't see the relevance, that *is* concerning and indicates you're not as ready to skip them as you think.

I'll also note that you could have done all these examples in the time elapsed since your original post.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You should understand this ...

[I teach Maths!]
GogetaORvegito?
Rep:
?
(Original post by DFranklin)
It's not going to kill you to miss them if you insist. But if you can't see the relevance, that *is* concerning and indicates you're not as ready to skip them as you think.

I'll also note that you could have done all these examples in the time elapsed since your original post.
What really?! Damn, I managed to do all the questions fine on the next topic but I guess I'm missing the point or something i'll do this then...
GogetaORvegito?
Rep:
?
You should understand this ...

[I teach Maths!]
lol alright Ms Muttley79 as a student I shall heed the teachers words...
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
lol alright Ms Muttley79 as a student I shall heed the teachers words...
Seeing the spec should have been enough ...
GogetaORvegito?
Rep:
?
Seeing the spec should have been enough ...
I didn’t know that’s what the spec meant. I thought it was just to understand the first principle which I do. But I shall be doing the questions, thanks again for the clarification
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (107)
28.01%
No - I have already returned home (51)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (73)
19.11%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (39)
10.21%
No - I live at home during term anyway (112)
29.32%

Watched Threads