Would you marry or have kids with a partner who has special needs?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
What’s your thoughts on this?
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I wouldn't close this option off completely, but most likely no. However, I think having children with a special needs person can sometimes result in it being passed down to offspring. I'm not sure how common this is. Adoption is something I am very open to though.

Edit: This is just a personal opinion! You never know, I may be together with a special needs person in the future.
Last edited by 5hyl33n; 1 month ago
username5398218
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
I wouldn't close this option off completely, but most likely no. However, I think having children with a special needs person can sometimes result in it being passed down to offspring and I would be scared of that. I'm not sure how common this is. Adoption is something I am very open to though.
i have special needs:mad:

just cos people have SN they are still people and i hate it that someone thinks they can look down on me for what ive been born with
Last edited by username5398218; 1 month ago
Penny456
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Love is love no matter the circumstances, so yes!!
Oxfordbrookesmam
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not all 'special needs' are genetic.
Not all genetic 'special needs' would make any potential offsprings lives not worth living.

Would dyslexia put me off? No.
Would huntingtons disease put me off [having children with someone] ? Potentially.

Everyone deserves the opportunity to love and be loved.
Last edited by Oxfordbrookesmam; 1 month ago
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Golderz Is Great)
i have special needs:mad:

just cos people have SN they are still people and i hate it that someone thinks they can look down on me for what ive been born with
This is quite a sensitive topic so you are going to get mixed responses. There are some people who are open to being with someone with special needs and some that are not.
I don’t think it’s a matter of looking down on someone, it is just preference.
I’m sorry if I have offended you in any way.
username5398218
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is quite a sensitive topic so you are going to get mixed responses. There are some people who are open to being with someone with special needs and some that are not.
I don’t think it’s a matter of looking down on someone, it is just preference.
I’m sorry if I have offended you in any way.
I think if you cant see past SN then it makes someone a shallow person

I few here know i have them but honestly when i told them i thought they would stop talking toi me but they have been really kind cos just cos you have SN does not make you a bad person
Last edited by username5398218; 1 month ago
Oxfordbrookesmam
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I wouldn't close this option off completely, but most likely no. However, I think having children with a special needs person can sometimes result in it being passed down to offspring. I'm not sure how common this is. Adoption is something I am very open to though.

Edit: This is just a personal opinion! You never know, I may be together with a special needs person in the future.
Would dyslexia seriously put you off?
beetrootsalad
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would, we couldn't have kids though because I'm gay. if that weren't an issue potentially having a disabled child wouldn't deter me nor should it deter others, even if your partner weren't disabled in a way that could be passed down ~1/5 folks are disabled anyway so there's no avoiding the possibility. I'd love and support my child no matter what, they'd still be my kid, ya know?
vix.xvi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i would comment my thoughts but i dont want to ofend anyone
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Oxfordbrookesmam)
Would dyslexia seriously put you off?
No, of course not! My post should’ve been more clearer but that’s quite a trivial thing to be put off by. I was talking about more ‘serious’ disabilities.
korokoro
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think if you cant see past SN then it makes someone a shallow person

I few here no i have them but honestly when i told them i thought they would stop talking toi me but they have been really kind cos just cos you have SN does not make you a bad person
No one decent will ever stop talking to you or stop being your friend because you have SN. However the question you asked was not to do with friendship and so the other posters response is not them being shallow or rude, it is just their own personal preference. I believe there's someone out there for everyone so it doesn't really matter what others think regarding this matter as long as you yourself stay happy and blessed.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Everyone has special needs ... what is your definition?
username5398218
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by korokoro)
No one decent will ever stop talking to you or stop being your friend because you have SN. However the question you asked was not to do with friendship and so the other posters response is not them being shallow or rude, it is just their own personal preference. I believe there's someone out there for everyone so it doesn't really matter what others think regarding this matter as long as you yourself stay happy and blessed.
well im not gonna say what mine is but if someone did not like me for It i think it would make them shallow yes if that was the only reason
username5398218
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, of course not! My post should’ve been more clearer but that’s quite a trivial thing to be put off by. I was talking about more ‘serious’ disabilities.
thank you i did not want to fall out or row with anyone
username5452212
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No there's no way I would.
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
thank you i did not want to fall out or row with anyone

I will respond to your Visitor Message tomorrow as I’m on the app currently.
username5398218
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I will respond to your Visitor Message tomorrow as I’m on the app currently.
oh no bad feelings ok
tinygirl96
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is pretty hard to answer. It depends on the type and level of severity of the disability in question being considered. Down Syndrome is definitely off the table as is autism. On the other hand dyslexia, spina bifida or dyscalculia are all possibilities. Dwarfism maybe.
username5398218
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tinygirl96)
This is pretty hard to answer. It depends on the type and level of severity of the disability in question being considered. Down Syndrome is definitely off the table as is autism. On the other hand dyslexia, spina bifida or dyscalculia are all possibilities. Dwarfism maybe.
thats me out then
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (64)
27.71%
No - I have already returned home (25)
10.82%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (50)
21.65%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (22)
9.52%
No - I live at home during term anyway (70)
30.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed