josefgas5
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello Everyone,

I am stuck in this dilemma of deciding whether I should drop one of my A-levels. I am currently in Year 12 and studying 4 A-Level subjects: Business Studies, DT, Maths and Physics.

Currently, I find physics to be really hard and although I have a brief idea of what we are doing, I just find it to be really stressful. I was told by my university counsellor that physics will be a very useful subject in getting into a decent university so I would like to keep studying it. However, I am worried that I might not get a good grade.

Any advice on what I should do? I still have no idea what I would like to study in University so it really is a hard decision to make. Thank you!
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What grade did you get in Physics GCSE?
username5446306
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by josefgas5)
Hello Everyone,

I am stuck in this dilemma of deciding whether I should drop one of my A-levels. I am currently in Year 12 and studying 4 A-Level subjects: Business Studies, DT, Maths and Physics.

Currently, I find physics to be really hard and although I have a brief idea of what we are doing, I just find it to be really stressful. I was told by my university counsellor that physics will be a very useful subject in getting into a decent university so I would like to keep studying it. However, I am worried that I might not get a good grade.

Any advice on what I should do? I still have no idea what I would like to study in University so it really is a hard decision to make. Thank you!
Hey I'm in year 13 and doing physics, and it kinda does get harder rather than easier and a lot mathsier but it also gets even more interesting! If you don't think you want to take phys/ engineering at uni I wouldn't have too many reservations abt dropping it tho
SyedHB
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
My advice would be to drop one.
Three are sufficient.

But in terms of which subject you should drop, think about:

-What subject you are struggling with the most.
-What subject is the least enjoyable.
-What subject would be least useful for your uni course, I know you haven’t decided on a course yet but it really is time to start narrowing it down

Best of luck
josefgas5
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by CaptainDuckie)
What grade did you get in Physics GCSE?
I did not study GCSEs, but instead IBMYP. I got a 6 out of 8 which I think is equivalent to a B or A?
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by josefgas5)
I did not study GCSEs, but instead IBMYP. I got a 6 out of 8 which I think is equivalent to a B or A?
Drop it bro

If you’re finding it hard now then no point.
It gets really hard
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think you should wait a bit longer as it has only been a few weeks and there is a jump at A level. I would carry on unless it is impacting on your other subjects. Ideally give it until end year 12 but at least until Christmas. Start thinking about possible careers. What do you like doing? What about coding?
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Do NOT do 4 A levels.

No University asks for four and none will be extra-impressed by you doing four.
You risk getting low grades in all four, and missing your offer grades - and not getting a Uni place.
AAA will always look better than ABBB.

What do you want to study at University? Have a look at the course pages on University websites and see what grades/subjects they want. Drop the subject you don't need.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (707)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (891)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (394)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed