How many girls are there in aerospace engineering (at QM or in general)

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Looking to apply to aerospace engineering at Queen Mary but I was wondering what the female to make ratio is as I’m scared of being surrounded by a whole male class, especially with stigma of most men in engineering being stuck up and sexist.

I know there’s good guys but they’re far and in between. I just don’t want to be isolated bc I already left another for this bc this is the course I wanted but I don’t want my social life to suffer
Anonymous #1
Replies?
hajima
Badges: 18
Report 1 month ago
Begone misandrist.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I have met two aerospace engineering students in my time at Sheffield, one was male and one was female. Very small sample, highly unrepresentative, but so there.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
Replies?
Um Idk majority of guys I’ve met interested in this subject were sexist so don’t mind me being cautious fcking hell
Anonymous #1
I have met two aerospace engineering students in my time at Sheffield, one was male and one was female. Very small sample, highly unrepresentative, but so there.
Yh it seems aerospace engineering probably has an even worse ratio :////
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If aerospace engineering is the course you want to do, don’t be put off applying because you’re female. Even if there are no other females on the course, you will still have opportunities to meet people across different courses through social events, accommodation (if you live out), societies etc.
Try speaking to a QM ambassador if you can - there’s a page on the QM website for prospective students to chat with existing students I believe.
safari24
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I can understand not wanting to be isolated, but the stereotypes you mentioned about male engineers are rubbish.
I did a first year in biomedical engineering at Imperial (half of the class was female), and did not come across anyone talking trash about women (I’m a man)
It was also quite obvious some women were very good at what we did.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
12% of aerospace undergraduates are female https://www.engineeringuk.com/media/...ngineering.pdf

You may just have been unlucky. I read mechanical engineering and have spent much of my career very heavily outnumbered (e.g. 2 years when I was the only woman of 170 people). I've never had a significant problem with male attitudes -and not at all with graduates. You don't have to have loads in common with everyone but there will be people you to get on with - if you make the effort to do so and approach hem with an open mind.

Edit: I am female
Last edited by Compost; 1 month ago
Interea
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/queen-...1-39aed11e746b

This suggests it's about an 80:20 split, which doesn't seem too bad for engineering to be honest
username5420160
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can always just try and make friends with some of the other engineers too! After all, you'll be spending your time on the same course with them so you might as well be on good terms instead of avoiding them based on gender stereotypes. 🤗
Last edited by username5420160; 1 month ago
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't mean this to sound catty, but I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from. If you're convinced that the majority of the engineering industry is "stuck up and sexist" what makes you want to be an engineer? If you're passionate about the subject then you should have lots of common ground with many of the people on your course. If you're not very interested and you think everyone is going to be horrible to you I'm not sure why you want to do it?
Last edited by Compost; 1 month ago
vix.xvi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
lol thats a very small sample indeed
vix.xvi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Looking to apply to aerospace engineering at Queen Mary but I was wondering what the female to make ratio is as I’m scared of being surrounded by a whole male class, especially with stigma of most men in engineering being stuck up and sexist.

I know there’s good guys but they’re far and in between. I just don’t want to be isolated bc I already left another for this bc this is the course I wanted but I don’t want my social life to suffer
if you love ur course, then you will get on fine with guys too as you have something in common
dont be put off studying what u love because of the stats

im considering engineering in the future and let me tell you only 3/150 in my school are doing the same subject combo as me, but im still studying what I love and im not put off by the stats, so you shouldn't either! xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (53)
29.28%
No - I have already returned home (23)
12.71%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (42)
23.2%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (16)
8.84%
No - I live at home during term anyway (47)
25.97%

Watched Threads