zr_123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey everybody. I’m a second year student in radiography and I absolutely detest it, but I’ve already completed my first year and pretty much started my second year but I hate it. I wake up feeling hopeless and depressed. I fear that I’m stuck in this profession with this degree, I don’t want to do anything related to radiography in the slightest. I have no previous experience of retail and I’m afraid I’m stuck in this profession I don’t want to pursue. Are there any options for me to pursue something else with a degree in radiography? What kind of jobs could I get instead after uni? Thanks!
SorryMedic
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by zr_123)
Hey everybody. I’m a second year student in radiography and I absolutely detest it, but I’ve already completed my first year and pretty much started my second year but I hate it. I wake up feeling hopeless and depressed. I fear that I’m stuck in this profession with this degree, I don’t want to do anything related to radiography in the slightest. I have no previous experience of retail and I’m afraid I’m stuck in this profession I don’t want to pursue. Are there any options for me to pursue something else with a degree in radiography? What kind of jobs could I get instead after uni? Thanks!
What do you dislike about the degree? It's a pretty vocational course and surely you would have done a lot of research and maybe gained some experience in the field before applying? I'm sure it has transferable skills though, so that's a plus. What would you consider doing instead?
madame_j
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, don't worry too much. I know that trying to complete a degree you've lost interest in will be extremely daunting and challenging but many employeers are happy to employ graduates with different backgrounds as long as you graduated with 2:1/First. So, you can go into retail with a degree in Radiography You can look for some summer internships and meanwhile try out Forage virual internships so you'll get an idea what you're interested in.
zr_123
Rep:
?
(Original post by SorryMedic)
What do you dislike about the degree? It's a pretty vocational course and surely you would have done a lot of research and maybe gained some experience in the field before applying? I'm sure it has transferable skills though, so that's a plus. What would you consider doing instead?
Hi! That’s the thing! I’m not sure. I’m in such a weird state where I’m not sure what I want to do. I did research and I took up experience beforehand and enjoyed it but I’ve just lost the somewhat passion I did have for it. I just don’t seem to enjoy it anymore. I dread having to go to placement or just doing anything regarding the course. Am I the only one who’s lost passion in my degree like this?
zr_123
Rep:
?
(Original post by madame_j)
Hi, don't worry too much. I know that trying to complete a degree you've lost interest in will be extremely daunting and challenging but many employeers are happy to employ graduates with different backgrounds as long as you graduated with 2:1/First. So, you can go into retail with a degree in Radiography You can look for some summer internships and meanwhile try out Forage virual internships so you'll get an idea what you're interested in.
That makes sense and brings a little peace to mind! Thank you!
forest3261
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi. I’m sorry you’re feeling that way about your course. It must be so mentally draining to deal with.

Having worked full time for about 3 years now (such a wealth of experience, i know :P ), I’ve come to realise that there is no point in studying, working, or following a career path in a field for which you have no passion. I spent 8 months in a job that I hated, and it changed me for the worse. We spend so much of our lives in work, so it’s vital - whenever possible - to do something we enjoy, or can at least tolerate.

I think that you first need to understand why you have lost your passion for your subject: a lack of confidence; a sudden realisation that the subject does not interest you nearly as much as you had hoped, etc. If you can find out why, there’s a chance that you can rekindle that passion.

If not, I would recommend pausing your studies for a while and working so that you can try and figure things out. It’s not unusual to defer, and it’s better than continuing down a path you hate for another 2 years. Some people I know have done that. Sometimes they return to complete the same degree, sometimes they start a new degree in a completely different subject.

Of course, I should mention that I obviously know nothing about your financial or living situation, so the above may be easier said than done, especially given the current state of the UK. Nevertheless, I hope this helps.

Remember this: What you are feeling is not that uncommon. Nor is it anything to be ashamed about. Life is fickle sometimes.

All the best to you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (99)
28.53%
No - I have already returned home (45)
12.97%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (67)
19.31%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (35)
10.09%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed