Wael Hneini
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Good day, I’m transferring from an American to a British university to continue my Marketing degree
I was told that british universities are difficult and have like only 1 exam in the end of the year where it determines my whole grade and that there are no assignments and 3 exams like in the US. is this true? and how does the british system really doffer from the American one? is it really more difficult?
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Wael Hneini)
Good day, I’m transferring from an American to a British university to continue my Marketing degree
I was told that british universities are difficult and have like only 1 exam in the end of the year where it determines my whole grade and that there are no assignments and 3 exams like in the US. is this true? and how does the british system really doffer from the American one? is it really more difficult?
Well the US & UK have completely different systems, and this start long before uni but university degrees are very different.

& no, you don't take 1 exam/year. in the UK you take 120 credits per year, split into modules normally 10-20 credits is a normal size for a module. Modules can comprise of coursework or exams or both, and exams would be taken at the end of every semester. Different unis have different styles some are more exam orientated others more coursework driven.

In the UK you don't have a major and electives, you just study modules related to your degree, but you can have optional modules for your field.

Transferring to UK unis might be hard due to the way you normally need certain number of credits to move between levels and each year follows on from each other, whereas I gather in the US most schools offer more flexibility what year you complete modules (this is not the case here).
madame_j
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think that's false. You will usually be assessed with 1- 2 essays, projects (coursework) and one exam. For example, an essay will be worth 30% and a final exam 70%. I only had about 3 exams worth 100% during my undergrad course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (107)
28.31%
No - I have already returned home (50)
13.23%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (71)
18.78%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (39)
10.32%
No - I live at home during term anyway (111)
29.37%

Watched Threads