The Student Room Group

How does moving out for university work

Hello guys,

Hope you are all well. I was wondering if anymore could please explain me the process on getting an accommodation at a university, how much is generally I costs (I know it varies) and basically what is the process?

I have just applied for my universities last month. I wanted to live away, despite my parent disapproving. What happens now? Do I wait until I get offers? If so, when I get offers what do I do next?

Also when choosing an accommodation, who do I live with? Is it strangers (other students)? Do I have to share the kitchen and apartment with them? I know there is something called halls or private accommodation. I would preferably want a private accommodation with an en-suite.

Also how do I pay for this? Should I start saving now? I read a private accommodation at a few of the unis I wanted to go to is around 4-7grand which I don’t have. Do student loans pay for this? I really don’t understand. Would halls be cheaper.

I understand theses are basic questions. I have googled it but it doesn’t seem to understand what I’m looking for. I understand that I sound stupid and basic but I’m really confused and have never looked into it. My parents are resistant to help as they don’t want me to leave any way. So it would be really useful for any help. I would be really appreciative if someone could explain this to me. King regards,
Original post by AHB54321
Hello guys,

Hope you are all well. I was wondering if anymore could please explain me the process on getting an accommodation at a university, how much is generally I costs (I know it varies) and basically what is the process?

I have just applied for my universities last month. I wanted to live away, despite my parent disapproving. What happens now? Do I wait until I get offers? If so, when I get offers what do I do next?

Also when choosing an accommodation, who do I live with? Is it strangers (other students)? Do I have to share the kitchen and apartment with them? I know there is something called halls or private accommodation. I would preferably want a private accommodation with an en-suite.

Also how do I pay for this? Should I start saving now? I read a private accommodation at a few of the unis I wanted to go to is around 4-7grand which I don’t have. Do student loans pay for this? I really don’t understand. Would halls be cheaper.

I understand theses are basic questions. I have googled it but it doesn’t seem to understand what I’m looking for. I understand that I sound stupid and basic but I’m really confused and have never looked into it. My parents are resistant to help as they don’t want me to leave any way. So it would be really useful for any help. I would be really appreciative if someone could explain this to me. King regards,

Hey @AHB54321

Congrats on submitting your university applications!

Firstly, have a look on the website of the universities you have applied for, they will give you the best information about their student accommodation options and how to apply. I don't have much experience with private halls, but they can be good options as they tend to have a cheaper monthly cost, though they have longer contracts (you pay for more weeks), so you may end up paying the same, but this may not be true of all. They are fairly similar in set up to university halls, but you may be with students from other university if there are more than one in your city.

In university owned halls you will generally be living with other first years, unless you have applied to halls that are aimed at returning students (2nd/3rd years), postgrad or international/visiting student halls. Make sure you check that you are applying for first year halls! Most universities will have a few options, so have a browse on their website. Halls can range from a flat shared between four-six students or a corridor shared between twelve+, they vary. So it's important to know what you want. Most (at least at Liverpool) have en-suite, do you want to have meals included (catered) or cook for yourself (non-catered)? Do you want to be on-campus or off-campus? There are a few different options, so it might seem daunting, but hopefully thinking about these things will help you narrow options down.

Student accommodation (university and private) is pretty expensive, luckily in 2nd and 3rd year students tend to live in house shares which are much more affordable. But for first year most students live in student accommodation. Your student loan will most likely go towards this, depending on how much you receive. Have a look on your perspective university websites to see whether they have any financial support available. The university financial services may also have some guidelines for affording halls and managing money while at university, which could be helpful.

Hopefully this helps and you find the information you need. Hopefully once you have a bit more information your parents will be more open to you moving away from home. Is there something particular that they are worried about? Moving to university can be a big change and worrying for parents, encouraging them to be part of the application process might help settle any fears they may have?

Good luck with the search. Let me know if you have any more questions :smile:

Madelaine
English Literature Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending