The Student Room Group

How does moving out for university work?

Hello guys,

Hope you are all well. I was wondering if anymore could please explain me the process on getting an accommodation at a university, how much is generally I costs (I know it varies) and basically what is the process?

I have just applied for my universities last month. I wanted to live away, despite my parent disapproving. What happens now? Do I wait until I get offers? If so, when I get offers what do I do next?

Also when choosing an accommodation, who do I live with? Is it strangers (other students)? Do I have to share the kitchen and apartment with them? I know there is something called halls or private accommodation. I would preferably want a private accommodation with an en-suite.

Also how do I pay for this? Should I start saving now? I read a private accommodation at a few of the unis I wanted to go to is around 4-7grand which I don’t have. Do student loans pay for this? I really don’t understand. Would halls be cheaper.

I understand theses are basic questions. I have googled it but it doesn’t seem to understand what I’m looking for. I understand that I sound stupid and basic but I’m really confused and have never looked into it. My parents are resistant to help as they don’t want me to leave any way. So it would be really useful for any help. I would be really appreciative if someone could explain this to me. King regards,
Reply 1
Hello guys,

Hope you are all well. I was wondering if anymore could please explain me the process on getting an accommodation at a university, how much is generally I costs (I know it varies) and basically what is the process?

I have just applied for my universities last month. I wanted to live away, despite my parent disapproving. What happens now? Do I wait until I get offers? If so, when I get offers what do I do next?

Also when choosing an accommodation, who do I live with? Is it strangers (other students)? Do I have to share the kitchen and apartment with them? I know there is something called halls or private accommodation. I would preferably want a private accommodation with an en-suite.

Also how do I pay for this? Should I start saving now? I read a private accommodation at a few of the unis I wanted to go to is around 4-7grand which I don’t have. Do student loans pay for this? I really don’t understand. Would halls be cheaper.

I understand theses are basic questions. I have googled it but it doesn’t seem to understand what I’m looking for. I understand that I sound stupid and basic but I’m really confused and have never looked into it. My parents are resistant to help as they don’t want me to leave any way. So it would be really useful for any help. I would be really appreciative if someone could explain this to me. King regards,
Reply 2
Hello guys,

Reply 3
Most people live in halls for first year as it is the best way to make friends. Otherwise you would be sharing a house privately with other strangers of differing ages. You can apply to SFE for a loan but if your parents are earnimg a decent amount then you would only get a basic amount and your parents would be expected to make up the rest.
You have to decide on a firm and insurance uni in the spring out of the offers you have received. You may then be asked to select your uni accommodation. If you decide to go private you have to find that yourself. Uni might have some info on this.
Ensuite rooms are available on most campuses but are dearer.
Reply 4
Original post by AHB54321
Hello guys,

Hi!

I'm in year 13 so I obviously haven't moved out for uni yet, but I've looked into this a lot so I hope you find some of this information useful.

Once you accept an offer, many universities will allow you to apply for accommodation starting from then, with the deadline for applications being around August usually. You'll be living with other students and most of the time will have to share a kitchen (unless you get a studio flat). You said you want to have an en-suite, so when you apply for accommodation just make sure you apply to en-suite options. In terms of halls or private accommodation I'm not too sure on the exact difference - but sometimes private accommodation can end up being cheaper than the university-run halls of residence. You won't need to pay for this out of pocket, as you can apply for student finance and receive a maintenance loan. Your maintenance loan will help you cover things like rent, food, leisure activities, etc.

If there's anything else you need help with, please feel free to PM me! I've also had (and am still having) problems with my parents not wanting me to leave the house as well.
Hello guys,

So their are normally 2 kinds central uni or private, central uni normally offers halls and these are mostly for 1st years. Private is normally housing in the nearby area for whomever wants it. halls normally has an accommodation application process which you will complete for your firm uni (if you want it), private accommodation you sort yourself either with a group on facebook or spare room or right move or estate agent

Well you get offers, then you pick a firm & insurance uni. And if you get into one of them in August then off you go essentially

Most first years go into halls and get a bit of a lottery on flatmates, although you can look on facebook or through accommodation services, find a group and rent a house with people you want to (or get a studio if you want to live by yourself). Although yes you will almost certainly share with other students at your uni.

Most people get a maintenance loan, but this is often not enough for accommodation & living costs so they need a job or family support, often its best to put money away before uni & see if your parents can support you financially.

No problem, have to figure out at some point, most people just stumble through it and figure it out as they go. Its also best to have an open conversation with your parents and explain what you want to do and get them to support your decision.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
When are you starting uni? I’m confused as to why you applied last month, as that would be September, are you applying really early (the deadline is January)?
Original post by mma_jd
When are you starting uni? I’m confused as to why you applied last month, as that would be September, are you applying really early (the deadline is January)?

They may be applying for medicine/dentistry/oxbridge courses.
you can get accommodation with an ensuite but if you live in halls you'll be sharing a kitchen with students. you can put ensuite as your top preference when you apply for accommodation but it's not guaranteed you'll get it. your maintenance loan may cover the cost of your accommodation but it is dependent on your parents income- for some people the loan won't even cover accommodation. you'll usually be informed by the uni when to apply after you've firmed and insured your choices.

for private you'll need to do a bit of your own research. i think it really depends on the uni whether halls or private is cheaper. i think for me going private would have been more expensive, but i've two friends in nottingham who both went for private accommodation bc it was cheaper.
Hello guys,

Hiya!

Thanks for your question! When you hear back your offers from different university's after applying you will be able to select your top uni and usually a selection of 3-6 accommodations which you can rank in preference. For some uni's, like the University of Portsmouth if you received an offer to study at the uni and made the uni your top choice then you have a guaranteed room in halls if you applied for accommodation before 30 June.

The costs will really vary depending on the university, if you are catered or non catered and if you are en suite or not. The prices at Portsmouth range from £99 a week (£3,960 a year) to £173 a week (£6,920 a year). You will have to apply for student finance which then provides you with a tuition loan to cover your academic cost and also a maintenance loan which can range from £3,0000 to £8,000 depending on your parents income. you can also apply for bursaries too through your university for extra help.

In halls you will be living with other students and this can be anywhere from3 students to 8 other students. After having your accommodation confirmed the accommodation team will then contact you with more information about who you re living with as you can get into contact with them before living with them. At Portsmouth you can make preferences to who you want to live with (such as all girls, live at the bottom floor or the building, live with quieter people) and the uni will try to meet your preferences.

I would recommend having a look at the university's you applied for possible accommodation to see what you like the look of :smile:
Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:
You will likely live in halls for your first year unless you can afford a studio apt (which is very few people). Halls are a strange experience and you may get along with everyone or no one. I only talk to one person I stayed with in halls and even then we dont talk much. Other people from halls I have blocked after they caused me lots of stress and stole my stuff (which I had little of because I dont have a lot of money). Your student finance may barely, if at all, cover rent. Thats my scenario. Its based on your parents income but theres no guarentee your parents will give you money or *can* give you money. If you can try get a part time job and save up money. Once you get an offer at a uni they will tell you when to apply for halls. Make sure to check virtual tours if available (safer than in person due to covid). Balance what youre comfortable with and your budget. Most people prefer an en suite but that will cost a considerably higher amount per week. I had a shared bathroom in halls with 4 others. Its okay if your flatmates are clean (which mine werent but i didnt have a choice myself so i digress). Remember your student finance is *meant* to cover rent, food, and other purchases, so think before you pick your accommodations and dont be shocked if you dont get your first chosen accommodation. If you want to know more about halls fully transparent no ******** then let me know
Reply 11
Original post by erriiii
Hi!

I'm in year 13 so I obviously haven't moved out for uni yet, but I've looked into this a lot so I hope you find some of this information useful.

Once you accept an offer, many universities will allow you to apply for accommodation starting from then, with the deadline for applications being around August usually. You'll be living with other students and most of the time will have to share a kitchen (unless you get a studio flat). You said you want to have an en-suite, so when you apply for accommodation just make sure you apply to en-suite options. In terms of halls or private accommodation I'm not too sure on the exact difference - but sometimes private accommodation can end up being cheaper than the university-run halls of residence. You won't need to pay for this out of pocket, as you can apply for student finance and receive a maintenance loan. Your maintenance loan will help you cover things like rent, food, leisure activities, etc.

If there's anything else you need help with, please feel free to PM me! I've also had (and am still having) problems with my parents not wanting me to leave the house as well.

Thank you appreciate the detailed response. It was very useful thank you
Reply 12
Original post by mma_jd

I applied early 👍🏽
Reply 13
Original post by mnot
So their are normally 2 kinds central uni or private, central uni normally offers halls and these are mostly for 1st years. Private is normally housing in the nearby area for whomever wants it. halls normally has an accommodation application process which you will complete for your firm uni (if you want it), private accommodation you sort yourself either with a group on facebook or spare room or right move or estate agent

Well you get offers, then you pick a firm & insurance uni. And if you get into one of them in August then off you go essentially

Most first years go into halls and get a bit of a lottery on flatmates, although you can look on facebook or through accommodation services, find a group and rent a house with people you want to (or get a studio if you want to live by yourself). Although yes you will almost certainly share with other students at your uni.

Most people get a maintenance loan, but this is often not enough for accommodation & living costs so they need a job or family support, often its best to put money away before uni & see if your parents can support you financially.

No problem, have to figure out at some point, most people just stumble through it and figure it out as they go. Its also best to have an open conversation with your parents and explain what you want to do and get them to support your decision.

Thank you. That was really useful. I appreciate it

Quick Reply

Latest