RuanIsaac
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm a homeschooler and I'm trying to narrow down what mathematics to take in my As level. So far I have heard abt Further math, Pure Math, Statistics.....are there anymore?How do I make a choice?
Interea
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RuanIsaac)
I'm a homeschooler and I'm trying to narrow down what mathematics to take in my As level. So far I have heard abt Further math, Pure Math, Statistics.....are there anymore?How do I make a choice?
Depends what you want from it really, most people will just take mathematics and then further mathematics as a second option (further maths assumes you are also doing normal maths, and uses the knowledge you learn in that course). Other slightly different options do exist obviously, and you might enjoy them more, but you'd just want to check they would fulfil entry requirements if you plan to apply to a uni that requests A level maths.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you're in England then there is no choice. The AS contains pure maths and some mechanics and statistics. That is the same for the A level - certainly with Edexcel and I presume with the other exam boards.

Further Maths is a separate A level which you should only take if you are also taking Maths. In FM there is some compulsory Pure Maths and then you have a choice for the other 2 papers.
CurryCurry2468
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Interea)
Depends what you want from it really, most people will just take mathematics and then further mathematics as a second option (further maths assumes you are also doing normal maths, and uses the knowledge you learn in that course). Other slightly different options do exist obviously, and you might enjoy them more, but you'd just want to check they would fulfil entry requirements if you plan to apply to a uni that requests A level maths.
If you are doing the International A Level (Edexcel IAL) I believe u do get some choice.
If ur doing A Levels in the UK then you have no choice. In AS you do pure stats and mechanics and the same goes for A Level. You may have been looking at info on the old modular specs which gave u a choice between stats, mechanics and decision maths I believe
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (122)
28.31%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.23%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (85)
19.72%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.28%
No - I live at home during term anyway (127)
29.47%

Watched Threads