The Student Room Group

Failed Master's

Question. If I've passed all my assignments by failed my dissertation why would i only get a Post Graduate Certificate and not a Post Graduate Diploma?
Original post by Jagsphil
Question. If I've passed all my assignments by failed my dissertation why would i only get a Post Graduate Certificate and not a Post Graduate Diploma?

It'll depend upon the weight given to your dissertation marks so it's probably best to check with your course/module leader. Usually dissertations or final projects are given more weight (as they are the culmination of your MA year) and, in some courses, graduating with your diploma will be conditional on passing your dissertation or final project.

Either way it is worth getting in touch with your course/module leader if you're concerned about failing your dissertation - you've not mentioned anything about your circumstances but I'm guessing that if you've passed everything else on your course, there may be extenuating circumstances around your dissertation submission. If so, this could allow you to either extend your submission deadline or, potentially, to resubmit.

Hope that helps.

Amy :smile:

I believe a diploma is 120 credits over 50% whereas a certificate is 60 credits over 50% (generally speaking, check your unis academic handbook).

If you can get a diploma, you should be capable of passing a disso. A dissertation is (arguably) harder then taught modules but to get 50% really should not be too tough. Just pass the disso & you dont have to worry about these things.

Generally a PgCert is if you pass all the modules in Semester 1 (If semesters 1 and 2 are equally weighted) and a PgDip is for passing all taught modules but not the dissertation (either through failing it or not completing it).

Why do you think you'll fail your dissertation?
Reply 4
I have already failed my dissertation. When I contacted the uni they told me that my award was based on passing year one but i also passed all my assignments in year two but not the final dissertation in year 2. So i don't see how they can only award me a certificate.
I have already failed my dissertation. When I contacted the uni they told me that my award was based on passing year one but i also passed all my assignments in year two but not the final dissertation in year 2. So i don't see how they can only award me a certificate.

Look at the criteria on in the postgraduate handbook or academic regulations.

They would likely offer you the best award possible.
Reply 6
I will do. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending