When can I start repaying my student loans?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi guys, I have a part time job in which I’m earning money through bank transfer. I’m a 3rd year medical student on a 5 year course and I’m aware that my student loan repayments will be deducted in monthly instalments. Can I start repaying immediately since I currently have a source of income (and it’s one less thing to worry about by the time I graduate)? Thank you!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi guys, I have a part time job in which I’m earning money through bank transfer. I’m a 3rd year medical student on a 5 year course and I’m aware that my student loan repayments will be deducted in monthly instalments. Can I start repaying immediately since I currently have a source of income (and it’s one less thing to worry about by the time I graduate)? Thank you!
In most cases its not worth attempting to pay off.
Deductions only start once you start earning over c £26k, then its 9% of the excess.
I would keep your money and save it for dating or a house deposit.
The vast majority of people never pay it off before its written off.
You shouldnt be worried about it at all as its a quasi loan which is more akin to a tax rather than a commercial loan.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
In most cases its not worth attempting to pay off.
Deductions only start once you start earning over c £26k, then its 9% of the excess.
I would keep your money and save it for dating or a house deposit.
The vast majority of people never pay it off before its written off.
You shouldnt be worried about it at all as its a quasi loan which is more akin to a tax rather than a commercial loan.
I’m planning to move abroad with my family in around 4/5 years time so what action would you advise? How does a student loan get written off? After I graduate, the base salary of a junior doctor is 28k so I would have to start paying off my student loan as soon as I graduate, wouldn’t I? I’m still quite confused so I’d appreciate your thoughts!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m planning to move abroad with my family in around 4/5 years time so what action would you advise? How does a student loan get written off? After I graduate, the base salary of a junior doctor is 28k so I would have to start paying off my student loan as soon as I graduate, wouldn’t I? I’m still quite confused so I’d appreciate your thoughts!
I dont know the exact calculation, but the vast majority never pay it off fully.
Someone may have done the calculation.

I think unless you are rich or will be paid a very high salary in a relatively short space of time, then its not worth it.

There have been numerous cases of students viewing it as traditional debt and using inheritance or savings early on and ending up being much worse off as they would never have repaid the whole and using such money was pointless.

Remember is 9% of the excess, so 28k is 2k over and then 9% of that. i.e £180.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (595)
33.96%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (729)
41.61%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (349)
19.92%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.51%

Watched Threads