The Student Room Group

A- level choices help please!

As someone who has recently moved to the UK , I was not at all prepared to the whole idea of choosing certain subjects and being already decided for university. I'd love some help from those who are more experienced.

I think I'm definitely taking literature and Maths because 1. I LOVE them and 2. they open a lot of choices

I'm not sure about the choice of the other 2-3 AS levels. I'm thinking sciences as those open a lot more options and I already have an 'essay-based subject' in literature. Probably Chemistry because I find it really easy.

Now depending on the sixth form I get in I have either an extra one or two subjects. If it's one, I don't know whether to go with biology or physics. If it's two, I don't know whether to take both or either with Further Maths as I'm quite good at Maths and enjoy it.

So, I'd like some help please. Is self-studying feasible and which subject would it be most appropriate to? I'd like to have law,medicine, computer science , PPE, and engineering open to me. So, which subjects would allow that or even more choices??

Thank you very much and I'd greatly appreciate your help!
Original post by Mocha Latte
As someone who has recently moved to the UK , I was not at all prepared to the whole idea of choosing certain subjects and being already decided for university. I'd love some help from those who are more experienced.

I think I'm definitely taking literature and Maths because 1. I LOVE them and 2. they open a lot of choices

I'm not sure about the choice of the other 2-3 AS levels. I'm thinking sciences as those open a lot more options and I already have an 'essay-based subject' in literature. Probably Chemistry because I find it really easy.

Now depending on the sixth form I get in I have either an extra one or two subjects. If it's one, I don't know whether to go with biology or physics. If it's two, I don't know whether to take both or either with Further Maths as I'm quite good at Maths and enjoy it.

So, I'd like some help please. Is self-studying feasible and which subject would it be most appropriate to? I'd like to have law,medicine, computer science , PPE, and engineering open to me. So, which subjects would allow that or even more choices??

If you’re considering medicine, chemistry is essential and quite often biology as well (there are some schools that don’t require it so you should be ok), for law an essay based subject is good (literature) although there is no specific requirements. Pretty much all engineering degrees require maths and a lot need physics as well. For computer science you need to do maths and quite often further maths is useful. Tbh i would rly recommend narrowing down the careers you want to do but if that is not an option, I would say do biology and physics if you have 2 options and one of them if not although, 5 a levels is a lot so 3/4 would be better :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Mocha Latte

For medicine, you want chemistry, so keep that as one of your choices to keep that option open. Not taking biology would limit your medicine options, but there are still unis you could get into without it.

For law and PPE I'm not sure, but having an essay subject like English lit would help, and some PPE courses require maths A level so you're fine on that front.

For computer science and engineering, you want to be strong at maths and potentially physics, so further maths and physics would be a good call here.

To keep all these options open, you might be best off doing A levels in English lit, maths, chemistry and physics, with an AS in further maths. However, if you can narrow down the uni options it would allow you to pick more suited subjects, meaning you can have a stronger application for certain subjects rather than an average application for all of them. Also, doing that many subjects is a lot of work, so it really would be best to narrow down the options!
not sure it’s possible to choose 3-4 subjects that accommodate to all of those potential courses.

if you want to try, i’d suggest take science subjects (bio chem maths) and maybe physics or fm for a fourth?

law doesn’t have specific subject requirements tho they do like essay based subjects but its hard to get subjects for all of those courses.

Quick Reply

Latest