Why is it ‘desired’ to pay things with cash?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys, my uncle bought a car with cash. I just dint understand why it’s very respected to pay by cash as the same thing could be done by card. Don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy for my uncle but I just wanted to know what is the difference between the two. Could someone please explain why?
gtty123
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Huh? When was this a thing?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by gtty123)
Huh? When was this a thing?
I’ve only just become aware of this recently myself 😂
MadameRazz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
some people don’t trust banks.
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A debit card is still a relatively new concept. A lot of older generation people have grown up with cash/cheque and then maybe credit cards for some. If you pay by cash you know you aren't spending money you don't have. A debit card seems more like a credit card so is less favoured by older generations.

I almost never use a debit card but then I don't use cash either, I put everything on credit cards for the cashback/rewards.
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There also used to be rather more options to get 'discount for cash' savings.
Last edited by ReadingMum; 1 month ago
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your average person selling a second hand car doesn't accept cards (and likely will not take a cheque), if they did I would use a CREDIT card wherever possible, as you get really good buyer protections.

If i'm going to look at something competitive, like a car or a house, then I want the ability to seal the deal on the spot if i wish. One of the last flats I went to view I turned out to be the first viewer in a line of 5, with the other 4 right after me. I liked and wanted it and they said great, fill in an application form and hand it into the office. I then asked how much upfront payment in cash it would take the secure the property right now , and it was £500, they wouldn't have accepted anything but cash in those circumstances and I likely wouldn't have got the house.
username3842778
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For smaller purchases and small businesses it costs the business less to accept cash payments (theyre charged a percentage for every card payment). For larger purchases like you've stated...probably just a status "flex" thing really
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi guys, my uncle bought a car with cash. I just dint understand why it’s very respected to pay by cash as the same thing could be done by card. Don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy for my uncle but I just wanted to know what is the difference between the two. Could someone please explain why?
'Paying cash' doesn't always mean literally handing over a bundle of notes. It can also mean you are using a debit card to pay with the money you have available in your bank account, as opposed to taking out a loan or other finance agreement. It's respected because you are using your own money, so you have that sum saved up, and you are not running up a debt.

If you pay cash for a car it is yours immediately and you can do what you want with it, even sell it on. With finance agreements there can be clauses about repayments and resale, so if you aren't happy with the car, you're stuck with it for a while.
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's Tax.

100% the car dealer will not declare the sale of the car for VAT and corporation tax.

If you pay by debit or credit card, there is a clear record. The business can't avoid paying VAT and corporation tax on that.

You often get a discount when you pay people like builders / car dealers in cash - usually the discount matches the VAT rate! Unfortunately this type of tax fraud is completely rampant and has become accepted practice, people don't see it as tax fraud even though it clearly is.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (60)
28.71%
No - I have already returned home (24)
11.48%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (47)
22.49%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (21)
10.05%
No - I live at home during term anyway (57)
27.27%

Watched Threads