Should I quit my current college course and go to university?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Basically I’m doing animal care at college as I’ve always wanted to work with animals but I’m finding it so so difficult to take all the info in and I know people may say to do extra study however all my time is spent studying the work I’ve been given but the thing is I don’t feel like I’m Learning anything, we move onto the next topic way too quick. I didn’t even know what I wanted to do after this either because I wanted to be a vet but I now don’t think I would be smart enough which makes me so upset.

The only other course I’ve always wanted to do is criminology at uni but I don’t know if that would be easy to get into/get a job with. But I love crime/murders and I always watch Netflix/YouTube videos about it as I find it so intresting.

But apart from that I don’t really know what else I could do and I feel so stuck, anyone got any advice? Thanks
Moana92
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I mean this in the nicest way, but if you're struggling with taking all the info in in college, then the same might be said about the University course, so I think that issue needs to be addressed rather than jumping to another course, which would highlight the exact same issue
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Moana92)
I mean this in the nicest way, but if you're struggling with taking all the info in in college, then the same might be said about the University course, so I think that issue needs to be addressed rather than jumping to another course, which would highlight the exact same issue
I feel like criminology would be a lot easier to take in than animal care as I’m needing to learn the biology of every single animal to exist, learn their background, their behaviour,their needs ect...it’s a lot more info I would think x
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Basically I’m doing animal care at college as I’ve always wanted to work with animals but I’m finding it so so difficult to take all the info in and I know people may say to do extra study however all my time is spent studying the work I’ve been given but the thing is I don’t feel like I’m Learning anything, we move onto the next topic way too quick. I didn’t even know what I wanted to do after this either because I wanted to be a vet but I now don’t think I would be smart enough which makes me so upset.
University might not solve this issue.

The only other course I’ve always wanted to do is criminology at uni but I don’t know if that would be easy to get into/get a job with. But I love crime/murders and I always watch Netflix/YouTube videos about it as I find it so intresting.

But apart from that I don’t really know what else I could do and I feel so stuck, anyone got any advice? Thanks
The idea of going to study criminology because you enjoy crime thrillers & documentaries on Netflix also doesnt seem to be a great idea, you are going to be learning about criminology from an academic perspective at university not an entertainment lense.
-
Think about what you want to do in 5 years time, what career fascinates you. Once you have this work backwards, how do people in these jobs get their. If its a criminology degree then its worth considering this option...
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As other have said, in terms of workload and the independent research and study required, College generally doesn't compare to Uni. I've done both.

I study plants, not animals, but a lot in common including shared classes for genetics and such. The amount of background info you need for things can be daunting at times, especially if like me you didn't do Bio or Chem in school and need to learn it on the fly and consider/arrange a lot of info. All I can really say is you get used to it, you get more fluent with looking things up, knowing what you need to look up, how to record and present stuff ect. One recurring theme was modules and assignments sounding WAY more complicated than they actually are when you break down exactly what's been asked of you.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by mnot)
University might not solve this issue.

The idea of going to study criminology because you enjoy crime thrillers & documentaries on Netflix also doesnt seem to be a great idea, you are going to be learning about criminology from an academic perspective at university not an entertainment lense.
-
Think about what you want to do in 5 years time, what career fascinates you. Once you have this work backwards, how do people in these jobs get their. If its a criminology degree then its worth considering this option...
Yes but it’s an Intrest of mines and would love to work and be involved in it? So surely that’s a good idea to go into it.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by StriderHort)
As other have said, in terms of workload and the independent research and study required, College generally doesn't compare to Uni. I've done both.

I study plants, not animals, but a lot in common including shared classes for genetics and such. The amount of background info you need for things can be daunting at times, especially if like me you didn't do Bio or Chem in school and need to learn it on the fly and consider/arrange a lot of info. All I can really say is you get used to it, you get more fluent with looking things up, knowing what you need to look up, how to record and present stuff ect. One recurring theme was modules and assignments sounding WAY more complicated than they actually are when you break down exactly what's been asked of you.
I wish I could get used to it, I honestly feel like I hardly know anything
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes but it’s an Intrest of mines and would love to work and be involved in it? So surely that’s a good idea to go into it.
Well it depends, if this is the most convenient solution of struggling with the college course then no.

If you have looked at a particular job/industry and found a criminology degree is a common path then perhaps its worth considering.

But given your concerns about having difficulty taking in information from a college course, I would approach this with caution, and thoroughly research & think this through before making any decisions.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I wish I could get used to it, I honestly feel like I hardly know anything
I can only assume you've only started in the last month or so? These skills take time, and you're there to learn and learn how to learn at the same time, not so much show off what you already know.

TBH I felt the same starting Horticulture. I came from working in amenity horticulture ie garden & park maintenance but I was suddenly surrounded by people, mostly a bit older, with lots of existing experience in their own gardens and existing plant knowledge, so they can rattle off the names of 100's of the damn things just by looking at them (likewise i imagine you'll have people that have basically grown up around animals and know an intimidating amount already).

At first I was very much one of the few shrugging and finding it really hard to take in and kept feeling i was missing stuff and letting myself down. In the end it wasn't magic, i just took some time to learn some skills and catch up, tbh in the end i was prob the most successful student in the group in term of progression and grades over the years, and you really wouldn't have thought it to look at the impotent feeling mess i was the first month or so.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It might be an idea to look at the entry requirements of a few Criminology course at unis that you would consider. Then you'll at least know if it's feasible now or whether you would need to put a plan in place to get there.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by mnot)
Well it depends, if this is the most convenient solution of struggling with the college course then no.

If you have looked at a particular job/industry and found a criminology degree is a common path then perhaps its worth considering.

But given your concerns about having difficulty taking in information from a college course, I would approach this with caution, and thoroughly research & think this through before making any decisions.
Yeah very true, I don’t want to leave a college course to end up failing/not getting into a uni course I’d like to do!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by StriderHort)
I can only assume you've only started in the last month or so? These skills take time, and you're there to learn and learn how to learn at the same time, not so much show off what you already know.

TBH I felt the same starting Horticulture. I came from working in amenity horticulture ie garden & park maintenance but I was suddenly surrounded by people, mostly a bit older, with lots of existing experience in their own gardens and existing plant knowledge, so they can rattle off the names of 100's of the damn things just by looking at them (likewise i imagine you'll have people that have basically grown up around animals and know an intimidating amount already).

At first I was very much one of the few shrugging and finding it really hard to take in and kept feeling i was missing stuff and letting myself down. In the end it wasn't magic, i just took some time to learn some skills and catch up, tbh in the end i was prob the most successful student in the group in term of progression and grades over the years, and you really wouldn't have thought it to look at the impotent feeling mess i was the first month or so.
Basically my course I’m on has 4 levels (each one a year) I missed first level as I knew more than that and last term did the 2nd level and I’m now onto my 3rd level so I have kind of had some time to try learn to do things, suppose it’s not that long but it’s not just a couple months.

Yes!!! Oh my goodness that’s exactly how I feel they know so much! Like I’ve worked with animals since I was 7 as I go work at my grandads farm every year and I have noticed I know way more about farm animals than others but they know more about other things that I just don’t know about at all!! Exactly like your saying they just see a photo and can just give all this info!

I suppose it maybe does just take time but I think I’m just worried because I can’t really learn anything else currently than what I’ve being taught as I don’t have the time but I also don’t feel I’m actually learning about it I just feel like I’m memorising it if that makes sense, I don’t actually know what it all means!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Admit-One)
It might be an idea to look at the entry requirements of a few Criminology course at unis that you would consider. Then you'll at least know if it's feasible now or whether you would need to put a plan in place to get there.
That’s a good idea actually! Thank you! Don’t know why I didn’t think about that haha.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (64)
27.95%
No - I have already returned home (25)
10.92%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (50)
21.83%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (22)
9.61%
No - I live at home during term anyway (68)
29.69%

Watched Threads