pglisic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am currently in year 12 and i am going to do my C1 Goethe exam in the summer between Y12 and Y13. I am wondering if this knowledge would be enough for me to study engineering in germany or switzerland since I have never been taught anything related to science in german. Has anyone done this?
Lzq3R
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey! I’m afraid that I don’t know a ton about either German or Engineering so I’m probably not the best person to answer this, but I am a linguist & have just gained a qualification in foreign language teaching which included a very brief section on language proficiency for studying.

I don’t know if you’re familiar with IELTS, which is a testing system used for measuring English levels for students wishing to study in the UK. Most universities will ask for approximately a level 7 IELTS academic for undergrad studies which is probably equivalent to a fairly low C1 but higher is recommended for postgrad study (it is of note though that some unis have lower requirements for non-essay subjects). So a C1 probably could be good enough but it varies a lot by course. Some unis will specify a recommended language level so I would look into that, but if not here are my other suggestions

-I was in a similar position considering applying to uni in Spain & what I found particularly helpful in helping me gauge how transferable my Spanish was to an academic course was the MOOC I did. I found one on an area similar to what I was considering applying for & it included a ton of filmed lectures & things which helped me to work out how well I might be able to understand a degree. Also MOOCs have the advantage of being generally free. It’s not a perfect measure of language ability though
-i know that with English teaching there are what is referred to as ESP (English for specific purposes) & EAP (English for Academic Purposes) courses designed for helping students very quickly gain language skills in a certain area, which I would recommend looking into the equivalent of for German if you did decide to do this just to give you some extra confidence & introduce you to the words you might need
-another thing well worth considering (and what I went with with Spanish) is a bilingual course so that way you have a guaranteed good understanding of at least part of it whilst you’re still adjusting to the new culture & language at first. You would pick up so much language so quickly so rlly to a certain extent it is just a matter of having the level to make it through the first few terms.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your exam! & if you have any questions about anything I’ve said let me know & I’ll do my best to answer them
pglisic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanks a lot!
Lzq3R
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by pglisic)
Thanks a lot!
No worries, I hope it helped!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads