spicytea123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey everyone,

I've hyped myself up for applying to the RAF as a CCS but just realised something when I came across the medical requirements.

I've had a bit of a problem with my foot for a while now, which I discovered at my first part time retail job about a year ago. It basically stiffens up a lot and there's a sharp pain if you move it in a certain way. It was the same case at my second part time job where I was required to man a petrol station for many hours at a time. Ive noticed that it only becomes a problem after long periods of standing without rest (I've been managing to go for runs just fine recently).

I was referred to podiatry about a year ago and got an x-ray to see if that would show anything. The results showed nothing out of the ordinary apart from one thing. A very small 'accessory bone', that was later determined as unrelated due to the fact that it was in a completely different area of the foot from where the pain was coming from. It was never found out what was causing this pain and I was later removed from podiatry due to a misunderstanding with appointments at the start of the pandemic.

I have now rereferred myself to podiatry even though I'm not actually enduring any pain. I'm an unemployed student so I'm not standing often enough during the week for it to be a problem. I still thought it would be a good idea to refer myself again anyway as I don't think it's gone away.

I have two main questions I'm hoping someone here can answer:

1. Will this tiny, recently discovered accessory bone that doesn't affect anything (but is still an abnormality) preclude my entry?

2. If I don't receive a diagnosis for the cause of this foot pain, how will the medical examiner respond to this? Will they ask me questions on whether it affects such and such and they'll just have to take my word for it? I'm panicking a bit now as I really badly want to join but this seems like something that could ruin any chance of that happening.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That is pretty niche.

You'll get the only answer anyone here can offer, but you won't like it;

Nobody knows. Apply. Only the medics can tell you.
spicytea123
Rep:
?
Drewski Well I was hoping someone here would either know about how the medical examiners make these decisions or know where I can find this out. You know, before I put myself through a pretty lengthy application process.
Last edited by spicytea123; 4 weeks ago
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by spicytea123)
Drewski Well I was hoping someone here would either know about how the medical examiners make these decisions or know where I can find this out. You know, before I put myself through a pretty lengthy application process.
Every individual is treated on a case by case basis, as no two people's medical history is the same.

So, no, you won't find that out here, because nobody here is a medical professional involved in those decisions, and because nobody here has access to your medical records.

We understand why you ask, but it's not a question that has an answer available through this route.

Additionally, it's not that lengthy to get to the point of the medical.
spicytea123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
Every individual is treated on a case by case basis, as no two people's medical history is the same.

So, no, you won't find that out here, because nobody here is a medical professional involved in those decisions, and because nobody here has access to your medical records.

We understand why you ask, but it's not a question that has an answer available through this route.

Additionally, it's not that lengthy to get to the point of the medical.
You still have to go out and sit an aptitude test and the selection interview which will take some time preparing for. That's a lot of time wasted if it turns out you weren't going to get in anyway because you had a slight abnormality with your foot. You do understand how things like this could cause a bit of frustration for some people, right?
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You still have to go out and sit an aptitude test and the selection interview which will take some time preparing for. That's a lot of time wasted if it turns out you weren't going to get in anyway because you had a slight abnormality with your foot. You do understand how things like this could cause a bit of frustration for some people, right?
Entirely. But there's literally nothing anyone can do about it.

The only people who are qualified to say anything about your foot are the Capita medics. The only way to get a verdict from them is by applying.

Ultimately, only you know whether you're interested enough in a military career to go through that.
jjbbcc
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Interview and aptitude testing are good experiences to have even if you are unsuccessful. Many jobs outside of the military require psychometric assessments, group activities and often panel and 1:1 interviews, most people attend these interviews knowing due to their experience or any number of valid reasons they may not reach the next stage but its part of the application process. If you really want the job you need to apply, if you are already doubting even beginning the application process maybe your heart is not really in it.
spicytea123
Rep:
?
(Original post by jjbbcc)
Interview and aptitude testing are good experiences to have even if you are unsuccessful. Many jobs outside of the military require psychometric assessments, group activities and often panel and 1:1 interviews, most people attend these interviews knowing due to their experience or any number of valid reasons they may not reach the next stage but its part of the application process. If you really want the job you need to apply, if you are already doubting even beginning the application process maybe your heart is not really in it.
Please don't start this crap about "my heart not being in it" I have a valid reason to have doubts. Also, I'm not doubting the job itself, I'm doubting a stage in the application process. That's not the same thing. Everyone doubts the application process at some stage! It's normal.

Also, maybe my heart isn't in it. Maybe my heart isn't truly in any job or field of work. What would you say to those people? A lot of people join the military because they're not completely sure what to do with their lives. It doesn't mean they're not going to put in the effort. 🙄
spicytea123
Rep:
?
Entirely. But there's literally nothing anyone can do about it.

The only people who are qualified to say anything about your foot are the Capita medics. The only way to get a verdict from them is by applying.

Ultimately, only you know whether you're interested enough in a military career to go through that.
Okay, so what if I lied and said the problem has gone away. Would they take my word for it? Surely some of the people who have done the medical exam can gauge an idea of how they would respond in that situation? I'm not looking for a definite answer I'm just looking for opinions on what they think they would say based on past experience of taking the medical exam.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Okay, so what if I lied and said the problem has gone away. Would they take my word for it? Surely some of the people who have done the medical exam can gauge an idea of how they would react to that?
It's on your medical records that there has been an issue.

Only you know if you could do that and join an organisation that places Integrity as one of it's 4 key pillars.

There will be times, especially during basic, that you'll be stood for long periods of time. Physical robustness is a key element, forces fitness is unlike that in the civilian world. It's not unreasonable to think that at some point your comrades could be relying on you and your fitness to serve.

If you think you could go through with it, then fine. It's on you.

I would not be surprised, however, if you got to a medical and then were rated as Temporarily Medically Unfit due to not having completed that investigation. I imagine the medics would want to see a resolution to the question.

Please don't start this crap about "my heart not being in it" I have a valid reason to be doubting. I'm not doubting the job itself, I'm doubting a stage in the application process. That's not the same thing. Everyone doubts the application process at some stage! It's normal.

Also, maybe my heart isn't in it. Maybe my heart isn't truly in any job or field of work. What would you say to those people? A lot of people join the military because they're not completely sure what to do with their lives. It doesn't mean they're not going to put in the effort. 🙄
This doesn't need to be an argument.

The forces are not the same as they once were. They don't take people just to take them away from their environments; they're highly selective because they can afford to be.

You asked a question, you've been given the only answer any of us could possibly give you. Giving out agro because it's not the answer you wanted to hear doesn't help anyone.
Last edited by Drewski; 4 weeks ago
spicytea123
Rep:
?
It's on your medical records that there has been an issue.

Only you know if you could do that and join an organisation that places Integrity as one of it's 4 key pillars.

There will be times, especially during basic, that you'll be stood for long periods of time. Physical robustness is a key element, forces fitness is unlike that in the civilian world. It's not unreasonable to think that at some point your comrades could be relying on you and your fitness to serve.

If you think you could go through with it, then fine. It's on you.

I would not be surprised, however, if you got to a medical and then were rated as Temporarily Medically Unfit due to not having completed that investigation. I imagine the medics would want to see a resolution to the question.

This doesn't need to be an argument.

The forces are not the same as they once were. They don't take people just to take them away from their environments; they're highly selective because they can afford to be.

You asked a question, you've been given the only answer any of us could possibly give you. Giving out agro because it's not the answer you wanted to hear doesn't help anyone.
I got angry because of what they said in relation to "my heart not being in it", which is just plain ignorant. That is the only reason. Do not try to conflate this.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I got angry because of what they said in relation to "my heart not being in it", which is just plain ignorant. That is the only reason. Do not try to conflate this.
A short temper helps nobody. Don't be that guy.
spicytea123
Rep:
?
A short temper helps nobody. Don't be that guy.
You're clearly here just to troll. Anyone would be annoyed if someone said something like that.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You're clearly here just to troll.
Yeah, sure. I've not spent time giving you answers based on my time in the RAF and knowledge of the recruitment process or anything. Clearly just here to waste your time :rolleyes:
spicytea123
Rep:
?
Yeah, sure. I've not spent time giving you answers based on my time in the RAF and knowledge of the recruitment process or anything. Clearly just here to waste your time :rolleyes:
You're right, a couple of your comments provided me with useful information which I thank you for. I just don't understand why you got involved with something someone else said to me.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You're right, a couple of your comments provided me with useful information which I thank you for. I just don't understand why you got involved with something someone else said to me.
Because some of your thinking is old fashioned. People don't just join the forces on a whim these days. The application process takes a year, the only people who make it through all that are those that really want it.

If you're going to try and join the RAF it's only right that you recognise the competitive nature of the application process, and why they're so selective when it comes to medical issues.
spicytea123
Rep:
?
Because some of your thinking is old fashioned. People don't just join the forces on a whim these days. The application process takes a year, the only people who make it through all that are those that really want it.

If you're going to try and join the RAF it's only right that you recognise the competitive nature of the application process, and why they're so selective when it comes to medical issues.
A year? I thought it was only the more competitive roles that take that long? I'm pretty sure they're eager to recruit new CCS. That's why there's a pretty big joining bonus.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A year? I thought it was only the more competitive roles that take that long? I'm pretty sure they're eager to recruit new CCS. That's why there's a pretty big joining bonus.
If you're lucky you might get through in about 9 months... But the average application time now is just over a year.

Yes, they need the role, but they need the right people in the role, so they still have to go through the hoops, and that takes time. One hurdle in particular is that you're placed on the phase 1 training that gives you the least waiting time to your phase 2 course.
If, for example, there are only 3 phase 2 courses a year for your trade, then you'll only get to go to Halton when there's a spot just before one of those courses. That could involve you waiting 4 months to time it right.

So yes, figure on it taking the best part of a year.
spicytea123
Rep:
?
If you're lucky you might get through in about 9 months... But the average application time now is just over a year.

Yes, they need the role, but they need the right people in the role, so they still have to go through the hoops, and that takes time. One hurdle in particular is that you're placed on the phase 1 training that gives you the least waiting time to your phase 2 course.
If, for example, there are only 3 phase 2 courses a year for your trade, then you'll only get to go to Halton when there's a spot just before one of those courses. That could involve you waiting 4 months to time it right.

So yes, figure on it taking the best part of a year.
As long as the actual acceptance of the application comes long before that, I'm fine waiting a year.
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thing like aptitude tests and interviews come early on in the process because they are quick and easy ways of deselecting people, and it's based on statistics of how many people apply and how many don't make it. It's done in that order for the benefit of the Forces, not candidates.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (706)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (889)
42.72%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.89%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise