The Student Room Group

Interview Tips for NHS Admin Job (Medical Secretary)

Hello,

I've been struggling to get a new job because of the Coronavirus pandemic and have had a few interviews with the NHS for admin positions, but am constantly being rejected, and would appreciate some advice on how to be successful. I've received feedback before, one being that I needed to show more personality (I'm introverted so I think sometimes people get the wrong idea about me, and this was 1 time so I think I solved that problem - maybe that job just wasn't for me), and another time she simply told me that there just happened to be people that were better suited for the role.

I'd also like to know what sort of questions are worth asking that show how interested I am, as I can never seem to think of any and everyone says how important they are to show you're enthusiastic. Thank you!
Focus on your personal skills. Provide some good quality examples of when you had to use them at work too. Consider the very important ones like teamwork, communication and so on. Make sure to include listening skills as well. Other vital skills include high order thinking skills and patience. Also the ability to think outside the box is crucial as is the skill of asking questions. Confidence matters along with basic numeracy and literacy skills. For some positions a first aid qualification is a good idea. Read beyond the lines of the job advert or description.
Original post by A.Peters0797
Hello,

I've been struggling to get a new job because of the Coronavirus pandemic and have had a few interviews with the NHS for admin positions, but am constantly being rejected, and would appreciate some advice on how to be successful. I've received feedback before, one being that I needed to show more personality (I'm introverted so I think sometimes people get the wrong idea about me, and this was 1 time so I think I solved that problem - maybe that job just wasn't for me), and another time she simply told me that there just happened to be people that were better suited for the role.

I'd also like to know what sort of questions are worth asking that show how interested I am, as I can never seem to think of any and everyone says how important they are to show you're enthusiastic. Thank you!

Hi @A.Peters0797

I usually have a few interview questions prepared beforehand. This includes both questions relating to the job and general competency questions.You don't need to memorise answers before but it can be helpful having a rough bank of examples you can use in the interview. I think the best way to answer competency questions is using the STAR technique.

At the end of a interview I think questions about the job and role are always good. For example asking what sort of training you will have or asking about the team you will be working in. When I prepare for interviews I often look on the prospects website it has some really good examples.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Zaira :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending