Is studying medicine abroad worth it?

Watch
justineooo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello,

I'm currently in my final year of high school and I'm thinking of studying medicine abroad (in English). While I fancy the program abroad better and want that "international experience", many questions about such a decision still arise. I'm almost certain that, eventually, I will want to come back and work in my home country.
My main worries are regarding relationships, family, since the path to becoming a doctor is long (I will spend about 10 years minimum abroad). I know that I will want to have a family, but what if that will restrict me from coming back to my home country? And yet I'm scared of coming back at 30 years old all alone.
Besides, what about the connections back home? Is an international degree really more valuable? Because when you're coming back, other doctors don't really know you, while if you studied medicine in the home country, some doctors were your professors, so it may be easier to get a position (although I'm not sure).
I would really appreciate if anyone that has studied medicine abroad shared their experiences or insights so that we could discuss!
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
some seek an international Medical degree as the UK allocation of places become "full"
I'd counsel against a medical degree outside of the EU 27 & EEA/EFTA unless you really understand the potential pitfalls.
Having left the UK at age 21 for engineering, not A100, it was a challenge in a way, as it does develop your character to be more worldly wise, and when you re-visit the UK, everyone initially seems damp, narrow-minded & down-trodden, I did find I couldn't really communicate with my former schoolmates - who just couldn't understand how I had changed, and they hadn't. You do get new friends, and no family worries, in my case they just used me for cheap holidays for years! Still do, as I'm typing this in view of the alps (snowed yesterday a lot, 0 about 1300m asl)

So international should remain an option, especially in view of the market opportunities:- medical service to a market of 450 million?, or to however many UK population might be left after another decade of austerity/"success"-rebranded

Finally, consider if you studied abroad in Dublin, that's rather like studing at home, just a bit abroad - nice place, also complicated rules for med school
tbi_zlx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by justineooo)
Hello,

I'm currently in my final year of high school and I'm thinking of studying medicine abroad (in English). While I fancy the program abroad better and want that "international experience", many questions about such a decision still arise. I'm almost certain that, eventually, I will want to come back and work in my home country.
My main worries are regarding relationships, family, since the path to becoming a doctor is long (I will spend about 10 years minimum abroad). I know that I will want to have a family, but what if that will restrict me from coming back to my home country? And yet I'm scared of coming back at 30 years old all alone.
Besides, what about the connections back home? Is an international degree really more valuable? Because when you're coming back, other doctors don't really know you, while if you studied medicine in the home country, some doctors were your professors, so it may be easier to get a position (although I'm not sure).
I would really appreciate if anyone that has studied medicine abroad shared their experiences or insights so that we could discuss!
How far would you say you would go though, as it also depends on the qualities of universities found, no?
justineooo
Rep:
?
(Original post by tbi_zlx)
How far would you say you would go though, as it also depends on the qualities of universities found, no?
I'm planning on studying medicine in the Netherlands, which is a few hours flight from where I currently live. I'd also have to learn the language in order to complete the master's degree (3 years). (The bachelor is also 3 years and taught fully in English).
tbi_zlx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm planning on studying medicine in the Netherlands, which is a few hours flight from where I currently live. I'd also have to learn the language in order to complete the master's degree (3 years). (The bachelor is also 3 years and taught fully in English).
Ahh future med student too. Yeahhh I know as it is the same with most medical schools, Karolinska are the same in which you are required to know Swedish etc. Im guessing you live in the UK?
justineooo
Rep:
?
Ahh future med student too. Yeahhh I know as it is the same with most medical schools, Karolinska are the same in which you are required to know Swedish etc. Im guessing you live in the UK?
No, I'm from Lithuania. Are you thinking of studying in the Netherlands too?
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I accidentally learned Dutch when I lived there for 4 years, it’s a nice language, and I didn’t really study. If one actually studied it, it’d be easy to pass the necessary exams.
justineooo
Rep:
?
(Original post by LuigiMario)
some seek an international Medical degree as the UK allocation of places become "full"
I'd counsel against a medical degree outside of the EU 27 & EEA/EFTA unless you really understand the potential pitfalls.
Having left the UK at age 21 for engineering, not A100, it was a challenge in a way, as it does develop your character to be more worldly wise, and when you re-visit the UK, everyone initially seems damp, narrow-minded & down-trodden, I did find I couldn't really communicate with my former schoolmates - who just couldn't understand how I had changed, and they hadn't. You do get new friends, and no family worries, in my case they just used me for cheap holidays for years! Still do, as I'm typing this in view of the alps (snowed yesterday a lot, 0 about 1300m asl)

So international should remain an option, especially in view of the market opportunities:- medical service to a market of 450 million?, or to however many UK population might be left after another decade of austerity/"success"-rebranded

Finally, consider if you studied abroad in Dublin, that's rather like studing at home, just a bit abroad - nice place, also complicated rules for med school
Thank you for your answer! I'm not so worried about leaving my current family (parents) as much as creating my own and how it would work if I am abroad with the intention to come back I may be planning way too far into my future, but I like to be organized and set on some kind of path and all of these decisions about what to study and where are really messing with me in terms that I don't feel I have it all figured out, therefore, don't feel the stability and inner calmness.
justineooo
Rep:
?
(Original post by LuigiMario)
I accidentally learned Dutch when I lived there for 4 years, it’s a nice language, and I didn’t really study. If one actually studied it, it’d be easy to pass the necessary exams.
That's relieving! I did try to look at some written Dutch and I seem to already figure sentences out; however, when I tried listening to people actually speaking, it just sounded like gibberish and I got scared.
tbi_zlx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No, I'm from Lithuania. Are you thinking of studying in the Netherlands too?
No aha I already am past that stage aha, but good luck to you x lemme know how it goes
justineooo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
No aha I already am past that stage aha, but good luck to you x lemme know how it goes
Where are you planning on studying? UK?
tbi_zlx
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Where are you planning on studying? UK?
Yes I study in the UK but I might move back after
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (707)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (891)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (394)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.46%

Watched Threads