The Student Room Group

Driving test 2020

So I originally had my driving test booked for April this year but it was cancelled due to covid! Then it was rescheduled for July but cancelled again. I now have my test in 2 days (Thursday) and I am SO nervous. I feel like I’m putting so much pressure on myself to pass because if I fail, I’ll probably have to wait until next year for a new test date!

Any tips on how to calm nerves??? I know that if you fail, the examinar starts directing you back to the test centre to reduce the time spent in the car together which scares me because if I notice we are heading back to the test centre then that’s just a sign ive failed!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by MM2102
So I originally had my driving test booked for April this year but it was cancelled due to covid! Then it was rescheduled for July but cancelled again. I now have my test in 2 days (Thursday) and I am SO nervous. I feel like I’m putting so much pressure on myself to pass because if I fail, I’ll probably have to wait until next year for a new test date!

Any tips on how to calm nerves??? I know that if you fail, the examinar starts directing you back to the test centre to reduce the time spent in the car together which scares me because if I notice we are heading back to the test centre then that’s just a sign ive failed!!

I started learning in February and obviously my lessons were cancelled through lockdown but I have mine in two weeks. I am so so nervous too but I have managed to reduce it by thinking that it’s just like any other lesson (try and imagine that your instructor is next to you, just like any other mock test), also, think that it’s the examiners job, they deal with hundreds a week, also think of if as a part of a learning curve (it’s not the end of the world if you don’t pass and it just gives you an idea of what will happen if you have to do it again!)
But that being said I know it’s not that simple as I have never done it but these are already helping me. Take deep breaths and everything should come naturally :smile: good luck, let us know how you do and what it’s like!
Reply 2
Original post by RAH1000
I started learning in February and obviously my lessons were cancelled through lockdown but I have mine in two weeks. I am so so nervous too but I have managed to reduce it by thinking that it’s just like any other lesson (try and imagine that your instructor is next to you, just like any other mock test), also, think that it’s the examiners job, they deal with hundreds a week, also think of if as a part of a learning curve (it’s not the end of the world if you don’t pass and it just gives you an idea of what will happen if you have to do it again!)
But that being said I know it’s not that simple as I have never done it but these are already helping me. Take deep breaths and everything should come naturally :smile: good luck, let us know how you do and what it’s like!

Also I just wanted to add that you should get the rescue remedy pastels to eat before! They calm nerves really well x
Reply 3
Original post by RAH1000

wow you have your test already even though you only started in February AND corona interrupted! Go you! I am just trying to remain positive because after all, my instructor wouldnt let me book if i wasnt ready.
The weather is to be torrential rain during my test and on one hand I can see pros of that; traffic generally flows slower and i have a valid reason to be extra cautious.
Anyway, thank you for the advice! I'll be sure to post an update about how it goes and I wish you the best of luck for your test too!
Reply 4
Original post by MM2102
wow you have your test already even though you only started in February AND corona interrupted! Go you! I am just trying to remain positive because after all, my instructor wouldnt let me book if i wasnt ready.
The weather is to be torrential rain during my test and on one hand I can see pros of that; traffic generally flows slower and i have a valid reason to be extra cautious.
Anyway, thank you for the advice! I'll be sure to post an update about how it goes and I wish you the best of luck for your test too!

Exactly, your instructor knows best. I didn’t ask my instructor I did kind of panic book when there was a shortage but he says I’m ready it’s just my confidence - which I’m trying to improve. And yes that is a positive of the rain and it gives you time to think things through a bit more too! Mine is booked for 1pm so roads shouldn’t be too busy (which may be a negative) no problem - best of luck :smile: :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by RAH1000
Exactly, your instructor knows best. I didn’t ask my instructor I did kind of panic book when there was a shortage but he says I’m ready it’s just my confidence - which I’m trying to improve. And yes that is a positive of the rain and it gives you time to think things through a bit more too! Mine is booked for 1pm so roads shouldn’t be too busy (which may be a negative) no problem - best of luck :smile: :smile:

Thank you!
Mine is at 1:45 so I'm hoping for quiet roads too haha. My lessons were almost always during rush hour though so literally anything that isn't rush hour is quiet to me! Fingers crossed the hour of 1 is a good hour lol!
Good luck.

Stay focused whilst driving. Pay attention to your overall driving speed etc. Remember not to commit too many mistakes either. Pretend that the driving instructor does not exist if that is easier for you. Be aware of any traffic lights and so on. That way you can pass. Obey whatever oral orders that are issued and even make sure to follow any other type of instruction which is given as well. You can do this. Make sure to read all road signs carefully too. Also keep a sharp careful lookout for any other unseen cars and pedestrians who are crossing the road in addition including horses and kids. I would also recommend reading briefly the highway code and the theory book tonight before you are asleep in bed in case. Is this for the practical driving test?
In that case do not stress. Of course if you fail the first time around you can always retake the test in the future at a later date. Best of luck to you. I hope you ace the test tomorrow. Avoid alcohol at all costs tonight and make sure to relax. The practical half of the test is actually easier than you think. Focus.
Original post by MM2102
So I originally had my driving test booked for April this year but it was cancelled due to covid! Then it was rescheduled for July but cancelled again. I now have my test in 2 days (Thursday) and I am SO nervous. I feel like I’m putting so much pressure on myself to pass because if I fail, I’ll probably have to wait until next year for a new test date! And also a sat score that is pretty low right now

do not be nervous
I think your instructor is also frustrated about this
so he will be nice to you and understanding
good luck
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Hey guys, I failed :frown:. It was going so well until I came to a roundabout in the last 15 minutes where I had to go straight ahead and I accidentally moved slightly to the right once i entered the roundabout and unfortunately there was a car there and the examiner had to grab the wheel. I didn't see the first exit of the roundabout (to a small carpark) so I thought my exit was the first left, not straight ahead and tried to go past it.
I'm so upset because I was so close to passing with only 2 minors and now I need to wait until February for the next available test!!
On a brighter note, the test wasn't as scary or hard in general as I thought. I had to do the reverse bay park before I even left the test centre and I wasn't in the lines originally and had to reposition because my left leg was shaking so much! So I got a minor for that. Other minor was for applying the handbrake before the car had fully stopped, again due to nerves as it was right at the start. Well now I know what to look out for in the future I guess:frown:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by MM2102
Hey guys, I failed :frown:. It was going so well until I came to a roundabout in the last 15 minutes where I had to go straight ahead and I accidentally moved slightly to the right once i entered the roundabout and unfortunately there was a car there and the examiner had to grab the wheel. I didn't see the first exit of the roundabout (to a small carpark) so I thought my exit was the first exit and tried to go past it.
I'm so upset because I was so close to passing with only 2 minors and now I need to wait until February for the next available test!!
On a brighter note, the test wasn't as scary or hard in general as I thought. I had to do the reverse bay park before I even left the test centre and I wasn't in the lines originally and had to reposition because my left leg was shaking so much! So I got a minor for that. Other minor was for applying the handbrake before the car had fully stopped, again due to nerves as it was right at the start. Well now I know what to look out for in the future I guess:frown:

Oh no, OP, I'm sorry :frown: Don't beat yourself up too much about it, though, I think the statistics say about 50% of people fail their first test so you're by no means a minority. Remember this doesn't mean you're a bad driver, you just made a mistake which everyone does sometimes (even examiners). No one drives perfectly 100% of the time. At least you know where you went wrong and can keep an eye on your lane discipline next time :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by bones-mccoy
Oh no, OP, I'm sorry :frown: Don't beat yourself up too much about it, though, I think the statistics say about 50% of people fail their first test so you're by no means a minority. Remember this doesn't mean you're a bad driver, you just made a mistake which everyone does sometimes (even examiners). No one drives perfectly 100% of the time. At least you know where you went wrong and can keep an eye on your lane discipline next time :smile:

thank you, it's just so annoying knowing that I was on my way back to the test centre and so close to passing! Hopefully I manage to get a cancellation.

You're right though, at least I know what to work on!
Reply 11
so sorry lovely : ( i also failed today, so annoying and the exact same as you hahahah it was in the last 15 mins at a roundabout and the car stalled and instructor saw that car behind slowed down????? never ever happened before to me so weird for it to happen on the day of my test but anyways, i had 3 minors (2 for speed and 1 for wheel control), and 1 major ^^^^ the worst thing is waiting till like feb for a test lmaoooo i cba esp bc of mocks and a levels but anyways it is what it is i guessss :frown:
Original post by MM2102
Hey guys, I failed :frown:. It was going so well until I came to a roundabout in the last 15 minutes where I had to go straight ahead and I accidentally moved slightly to the right once i entered the roundabout and unfortunately there was a car there and the examiner had to grab the wheel. I didn't see the first exit of the roundabout (to a small carpark) so I thought my exit was the first exit and tried to go past it.
Reply 12
Original post by lol9080
so sorry lovely : ( i also failed today, so annoying and the exact same as you hahahah it was in the last 15 mins at a roundabout and the car stalled and instructor saw that car behind slowed down????? never ever happened before to me so weird for it to happen on the day of my test but anyways, i had 3 minors (2 for speed and 1 for wheel control), and 1 major ^^^^ the worst thing is waiting till like feb for a test lmaoooo i cba esp bc of mocks and a levels but anyways it is what it is i guessss :frown:

********examiner lol
Well try again. When can you resit the test?
Reply 14
Original post by lol9080

awk i'm sorry :frown: what a coincidence we both failed on a roundabout in the last 15 minutes though haha! I've signed up for a cancellation app to see if I can get a test this year at all, depending on corona of course because I live in a major city which is highly likely to go into full lockdown again unfortunately. I would recommend you sign up for one of these cancellation services if you haven't done so already! Mines already moved my new test date to the day before the one i had originally booked lol.

The waiting is the worst part! I wouldn't be as disappointed as I am right now if I would be able to resit in a few weeks!
Reply 15
Original post by MM2102
awk i'm sorry :frown: what a coincidence we both failed on a roundabout in the last 15 minutes though haha! I've signed up for a cancellation app to see if I can get a test this year at all, depending on corona of course because I live in a major city which is highly likely to go into full lockdown again unfortunately. I would recommend you sign up for one of these cancellation services if you haven't done so already! Mines already moved my new test date to the day before the one i had originally booked lol.

The waiting is the worst part! I wouldn't be as disappointed as I am right now if I would be able to resit in a few weeks!

no literally same LOL our city is high risk but yeah i was gonna bt i swear you have to pay for that app too ?? amybe im wrong but how much was urs. yesss omds excatly if i could sit it soon i wouldnt be sat here crying hahaahhaha
Reply 16
Original post by tinygirl96
Well try again. When can you resit the test?

earliest date I could get was 3rd of February
Reply 17
Original post by lol9080
no literally same LOL our city is high risk but yeah i was gonna bt i swear you have to pay for that app too ?? amybe im wrong but how much was urs. yesss omds excatly if i could sit it soon i wouldnt be sat here crying hahaahhaha

same hahah I rarely ever cry but this has really got to me and knocked my confidence tbh lol. The app i use did cost £17 or £18 but I think it's worth it because I'm sure you get a refund if they don't get you an earlier test date.
Reply 18
Original post by lol9080
********examiner lol

More like the student? Stalling from a standstill is a minor (driver) fault, stalling whilst moving has the potential to cause a rear end collision as evidenced by the car behind having to use their brakes to avoid rear ending the candidate. Don’t blame personal shortcomings on someone that’s just doing their job or next time I get some chicken delivered with a short sell by date I’ll fill up your inbox with messages about how **** the people that deliver shopping are. Examiners are only doing their job, which when you have been driving for decades and the teenage “blame everyone else” phase has passed you will be very thankful for.
Reply 19
Original post by MM2102
same hahah I rarely ever cry but this has really got to me and knocked my confidence tbh lol. The app i use did cost £17 or £18 but I think it's worth it because I'm sure you get a refund if they don't get you an earlier test date.

wow thats acc so good i might get it but same its ruined my confidence tbh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending