Not sure about my chosen degree, advice?

Watch
username5429110
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I don't really know what to do. For years I wanted to be a vet, but the thing is I don't really like biology. I mean, I love animals and wanted to work with them but I am not enjoying my course. Although I love animals, I just can't see myself wanting to do much with them. I had 4 weeks worth of placements and I found myself just wishing the day would end, I thought it was because I was just being lazy but I wasn't fascinated.
For my A levels I did maths, chemistry and biology and got BBB.
I loved maths and chemistry but wasn't that fond of biology. I also hate essay writing and I have always preferred subjects that require application. I am just finding it boring. I am doing bio veterinary science because my GCSE results weren't good enough for veterinary medicine because I went to a bad school, I got a 7 in maths but didn't revise much for it.
I might speak to my sister first because she went to uni but I don't want my family thinking I am changing my mind and being impulsive. I am just bored and stressed, I mean its obvious that veterinary consists of biology but I didn't think about that. I hate the lab sessions too.
Any advice? Who would I speak to?
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Cocoabean22)
I don't really know what to do. For years I wanted to be a vet, but the thing is I don't really like biology. I mean, I love animals and wanted to work with them but I am not enjoying my course. Although I love animals, I just can't see myself wanting to do much with them. I had 4 weeks worth of placements and I found myself just wishing the day would end, I thought it was because I was just being lazy but I wasn't fascinated.
For my A levels I did maths, chemistry and biology and got BBB.
I loved maths and chemistry but wasn't that fond of biology. I also hate essay writing and I have always preferred subjects that require application. I am just finding it boring. I am doing bio veterinary science because my GCSE results weren't good enough for veterinary medicine because I went to a bad school, I got a 7 in maths but didn't revise much for it.
I might speak to my sister first because she went to uni but I don't want my family thinking I am changing my mind and being impulsive. I am just bored and stressed, I mean its obvious that veterinary consists of biology but I didn't think about that. I hate the lab sessions too.
Any advice? Who would I speak to?
maybe try posting in the vet med section but I don't think there is any getting away from the biology for this career path.
username5429110
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ReadingMum)
maybe try posting in the vet med section but I don't think there is any getting away from the biology for this career path.
I see what you mean, the maths degree at my uni does not require work experience so that part doesn't matter so much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (538)
33.96%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (651)
41.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (322)
20.33%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.61%

Watched Threads