domm1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Opinions?

The major differences between all 4 (apart from the fact two are 3-year courses, the other two 4-year courses)?
Interea
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by domm1)
Opinions?

The major differences between all 4 (apart from the fact two are 3-year courses, the other two 4-year courses)?
No real difference between MSci and MMath, and not normally much between BSc and BA - the only difference I really know of is in some Scottish unis, you get different choices for joint degrees if you pick a BA instead of a BSc (e.g. if you wanted to pick more literature/languages modules or if you wanted to pick more science modules).
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
There is not necessarily any difference. The degree title (BA vs BSc etc) tells you nothing about the content of the degree. All degrees from Oxbridge for example are BA degrees for the 3 year course (there is then the MMath year on top of that potentially), but they are still as if not more mathematical/scientific/etc, than other degrees in the same area(s) at other unis. Otherwise the main difference is whether you are doing the 4 year course or not (although often it's possible to swap between the two up to the end of second year, and you may be required to swap to the 3 year course if you do not get good enough marks throughout the first couple years to stay on the 4 year course).

For picking maths degrees you should be looking at the course content, checking a) certain core courses are taught "on time" e.g. some linear algebra and an introduction to analysis in first year (bearing in mind this content may be taught in modules called e.g. calculus or vectors & matrices), the rest of the linear algebra, plus abstract algebra and real analysis taught in second year (not deferred till 3rd year, and ideally with some metric spaces/point set topology covered in second year), and b) seeing how many and how broad a range of optional courses are offered (as this normally indicates the size and quality of the maths department overall).
Last edited by artful_lounger; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (494)
33.49%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (613)
41.56%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (300)
20.34%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (68)
4.61%

Watched Threads