Zosia_
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello. So I'm starting my english lit coursework and I need to start planning it. I have some very rough ideas but I wanted to know if there are any good templates etc. to use.
FYI - My question for the essay is "Compare and contrast how far Blanche and Private Williams are presented as symbols of the sacrificial victim". And these are the rough ideas for the paragraphs:

1. Through their sexual experiences, sexualities / desires/ obsessions
2. The unconscious and outside events/ others actions and feelings/attitudes- seen as outsiders and so a threat to the established nature/ setting/ order
3. The influences of the past
username3906006
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Hello! Planning is definitely the worst bit. I spent several months planning and then knocked out the actual essay in a couple of weeks!
Your question is great, and the ideas for the sections are really good too. I say sections, because they'll definitely end up being more than just one paragraph each. You might need to think of one or two more sections, depending on how much you write for each.
I don't know of any tried-and-tested templates that are out there (I've looked), but I would go for:

Intro
Section 1 - approx. 3 paras
Section 2 - approx. 3 paras
Section 3 - approx. 3 paras
(Section 4 - approx. 3 paras)
Conclusion

When you're planning each section, I would make a table with quotes (AO1) from each text, analysis (AO2) for the quotes, any relevant contextual information (AO3) and any critics that you can reference (AO5). Once you've done that just start writing, and the sections will naturally split into a couple of smaller paragraphs.
I found AO5 the hardest to come by, Questia (questia.com) is good although you need a subscription - your school/college may have one? - same for JSTOR, Google Books is good and free but a lot of the time only lets you see a coupleof pages of the text. Sometimes that's enough to pick out one or two good quotes though.
Hope this helps : )
username3906006
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
This is the table that I used for planning. Feel free to use it and share it : )
Attached files
Zosia_
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by StillNotGinger03)
Hello! Planning is definitely the worst bit. I spent several months planning and then knocked out the actual essay in a couple of weeks!
Your question is great, and the ideas for the sections are really good too. I say sections, because they'll definitely end up being more than just one paragraph each. You might need to think of one or two more sections, depending on how much you write for each.
I don't know of any tried-and-tested templates that are out there (I've looked), but I would go for:

Intro
Section 1 - approx. 3 paras
Section 2 - approx. 3 paras
Section 3 - approx. 3 paras
(Section 4 - approx. 3 paras)
Conclusion

When you're planning each section, I would make a table with quotes (AO1) from each text, analysis (AO2) for the quotes, any relevant contextual information (AO3) and any critics that you can reference (AO5). Once you've done that just start writing, and the sections will naturally split into a couple of smaller paragraphs.
I found AO5 the hardest to come by, Questia (questia.com) is good although you need a subscription - your school/college may have one? - same for JSTOR, Google Books is good and free but a lot of the time only lets you see a coupleof pages of the text. Sometimes that's enough to pick out one or two good quotes though.
Hope this helps : )
The coursework essay should be only 2000 words as a limit but thank you for mentioning that the ideas may require more than one paragraph.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (58)
12.61%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.74%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.52%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (43)
9.35%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (214)
46.52%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.26%

Watched Threads