How diverse is the University of Bath?

Watch
alisha.h
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Apart from international students, how ethnically diverse is the rest of the uni- are there many students from british asian, british african etc. backgrounds?
I come from a mixed background and go to a very diverse school, so I was just wondering.
DoNotMove
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by alisha.h)
Apart from international students, how ethnically diverse is the rest of the uni- are there many students from british asian, british african etc. backgrounds?
I come from a mixed background and go to a very diverse school, so I was just wondering.
Bath is one of the whitest places you'll ever visit, and this is pretty much reflected in their student population. Don't go there if you want to be in diverse group, there are better unis for it. There are, of course, non-white students who are from the UK there, but it's generally known for being quite white, and if you went to an open day you'd see this.
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by alisha.h)
Hi Alisha,

I am a final year student at Bath, and I've lived in Bristol for the past year and a half, so hopefully I can give you a well-rounded opinion on this

Bath itself is a fairly white city, in that the regular residents are mostly white. However, the university population is actually very diverse at Bath. Our International students are most East Asian, Indian and European (i.e. French, Spanish and Italian), but also a fair amount of black students. I myself am South African - British, and I went to an international school in Spain, and I find Bath to be fairly diverse.

I myself have never seen or experienced any sort of racism, and I do not know anyone who has. That being said, this could happen at any university and I know from personal experience that the university handles complaints very seriously, so you wouldn't need to worry about anything like that.

All in all, Bath as a city is mostly white, but the university is actually a diverse community with lots of support in place. There are also loads of nationality-based societies, so if you wanted to meet people from the same background as you, that would be a good option. I think if you are from a smaller city in the UK, then you would probably find Bath to be fairly diverse. However, if you are from somewhere that's very diverse such as London or Bristol, then you may find Bath to be a bit too white.

I hope this helped,
Jessica, a final year NatSci student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (717)
33.82%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (908)
42.83%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (402)
18.96%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.39%

Watched Threads