The Student Room Group

GCSE English language

hey, I am here to ask a question. do you have any tips on how I can answer a language question faster as currently it takes me a while to do so?
Thank you
Original post by falsahlani
hey, I am here to ask a question. do you have any tips on how I can answer a language question faster as currently it takes me a while to do so?
Thank you

I would recommend annotating the extract as you read it at the very start of the exam
that way, you already have a list of techniques that you have identified, and all you have to do is think of 3-4 points, which you can back up by using the techniques and explaining their effect
Reply 2
@marissa01 but the issue is that I already do that and it still takes me too long to finish one question
Reply 3
@marissa01 but the issue is that I already do that and it still takes me too long to finish one question

Original post by Marissa01
I would recommend annotating the extract as you read it at the very start of the exam
that way, you already have a list of techniques that you have identified, and all you have to do is think of 3-4 points, which you can back up by using the techniques and explaining their effect

but the issue is I already do that and it till takes me too long to answer one questions
Reply 4
How much are you writing at the moment and which questions on which papers do you struggle with? Sometimes it’s surprising how little you actually have to write to get the marks. Perhaps try looking at some exemplar answers online and compare your answers with those so you’re only writing the necessary things to get you the marks.
Reply 5
Original post by Culver
How much are you writing at the moment and which questions on which papers do you struggle with? Sometimes it’s surprising how little you actually have to write to get the marks. Perhaps try looking at some exemplar answers online and compare your answers with those so you’re only writing the necessary things to get you the marks.

I take too long on every question and I write a decent amount. the issue is that I take too long thinking about the response for the answer of the questions which leaves me little time to write that actual response. however I do not know how to overcome this obstacle and if I will in time.
Reply 6
I take too long on every question and I write a decent amount. the issue is that I take too long thinking about the response for the answer of the questions which leaves me little time to write that actual response. however I do not know how to overcome this obstacle and if I will in time.

I’d say you probably will end up overcoming it in time. A lot of people struggle with timings to start with. Maybe find a new strategy for annotations? Make sure you’re always looking for patterns within the text rather than just ‘feature spotting’, because patterns within a text are always the best things to talk about in your answer. Maybe if you do this you’ll have more confidence in what you’re writing
Reply 7
Original post by Culver
I’d say you probably will end up overcoming it in time. A lot of people struggle with timings to start with. Maybe find a new strategy for annotations? Make sure you’re always looking for patterns within the text rather than just ‘feature spotting’, because patterns within a text are always the best things to talk about in your answer. Maybe if you do this you’ll have more confidence in what you’re writing

thank you, but what do you mean with patterns within a text?
Reply 8
thank you, but what do you mean with patterns within a text?

So basically to make really good points it’s good to write about features you see more than once in a text you have to analyse. It’s alright to write about one example of alliteration or another language feature you can spot, but it’s better if you can find lots of metaphors, or a pattern of metaphors (or a different language feature) in a text. Hopefully that makes sense. If you can find lots of examples of patterns of different language features in a text that you can write a lot about then you’d be on track to get a good mark.
Reply 9
thank you very much and yes! it did really help

Original post by Culver
So basically to make really good points it’s good to write about features you see more than once in a text you have to analyse. It’s alright to write about one example of alliteration or another language feature you can spot, but it’s better if you can find lots of metaphors, or a pattern of metaphors (or a different language feature) in a text. Hopefully that makes sense. If you can find lots of examples of patterns of different language features in a text that you can write a lot about then you’d be on track to get a good mark.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending