Why do people give Muslims dirty looks?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
As a Muslim I always get dirty looks, especially from people who are very socially liberal. I don't understand why people protest against racism very vocally but are very comfortable being disrespectful to people based on religion. I know people occasionally counterargue that religion is not a race but in practical terms, you are still judging someone by appearance - Arab, north African, NE Caucus, Pakistan etc are overwhelmingly Muslim - and not their character.

Would it not be far easier to judge people by their own actions and not the actions of others. What exactly do such people want me to do - I'm not very religious but I look Muslim?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
As a Muslim I always get dirty looks, especially from people who are very socially liberal. I don't understand why people protest against racism very vocally but are very comfortable being disrespectful to people based on religion. I know people occasionally counterargue that religion is not a race but in practical terms, you are still judging someone by appearance - Arab, north African, NE Caucus, Pakistan etc are overwhelmingly Muslim - and not their character.

Would it not be far easier to judge people by their own actions and not the actions of others. What exactly do such people want me to do - I'm not very religious but I look Muslim?
Honestly speaking there’s just people in this world who’ve created a bad impression of us, like what they do is not what Islam teaches, but as Muslims we represent Islam so I suppose people get the wrong understanding of Islam.
I’m Muslim too, but I didn’t really get bothered by all of this, like we’ve dealt with it for yearss
MadameRazz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
islamophobia
Anonymous #1
Honestly speaking there’s just people in this world who’ve created a bad impression of us, like what they do is not what Islam teaches, but as Muslims we represent Islam so I suppose people get the wrong understanding of Islam.
I’m Muslim too, but I didn’t really get bothered by all of this, like we’ve dealt with it for yearss
May I ask, how do you deal with it? I can ignore far right racists but when it happens at work and university it's hard to understand. I don't want to become very defensive.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by MadameRazz)
islamophobia
Have you experienced this at university? Why do people not see the parallels between islamophobia and other forms of racism.
tashkent46
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Got to admit Islamophobia is really hard for me to see past. I'm very liberal, I hate racism. I know there are many decent Muslims, but our news sources and the lack of true multiculturalism does not help me at all. I mean, we live in a multicultural society but where I live there is real 'segregation' where people just stick to their own ethnic groups.
papie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Have you got a beard?
username5447346
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I honestly don't know - I'm lucky I live a very sheltered life thanks to my parents, but there are Muslim girls at school who talk about how they get racially abused and assaulted on the train to school just for hijab, and when I told them to report it, they just shrugged and said that it was life and that they were used to it...
Anonymous #1
(Original post by wewerenevrasked)
Immigration was never wanted

Population was never asked

Population was never allowed to talk about it (hate speech etc)

The dangers of being anti-free speech is when your governments, major poltiical parties all enforce something against the interest of a population then deny them their right to oppose it.. well lets just say the future of multicultral Europe will be one of rivers of blood
Thanks for responding.

The question was specifically about people who are pro immigration/anti trump / anti Brexit but they do not like Muslims being in their own social circles. Is that not hypocritical?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by papie)
Have you got a beard?
Very short trimmed. Otherwise I look 12!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by M_Zara)
I honestly don't know - I'm lucky I live a very sheltered life thanks to my parents, but there are Muslim girls at school who talk about how they get racially abused and assaulted on the train to school just for hijab, and when I told them to report it, they just shrugged and said that it was life and that they were used to it...
Actually I've not experienced that sort of overt racism.

Only dirty looks/unwillingness to speak to me.
username5447346
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Actually I've not experienced that sort of overt racism.

Only dirty looks/unwillingness to speak to me.
ahhh same - see we have it lucky tbh
Anonymous #1
(Original post by M_Zara)
ahhh same - see we have it lucky tbh
When you say it like that, it makes me feel better. But still I would much rather get on with everyone.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
May I ask, how do you deal with it? I can ignore far right racists but when it happens at work and university it's hard to understand. I don't want to become very defensive.
I actually haven’t experienced it that much, but I’ve heard a lot of stories. I’m a hijabi on top that lol so very visibly Muslim, but I’m very kind so even if someone was showing unwillingness to talk to me I just brush it off.
I’ve experienced one that I always remember I was like 15 or below (now 18), but me, my sister & cousin were on the bus and then this man started screaming ‘Allah Akbar’ and stuff about Islam, which caused me to have a panic attack and now when I remember it, I just feel embarrassed ahaha because everyone was staring at me, like that was the first and only time I had experienced it
tbi_zlx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I think it depends on the area youre in, like im Muslim and most of the community and even the wide wide area know about me but I never deal with it tbh. So I think it may be cos they are targeting you, do you know if youre the only one or whether this happens to others
MalcolmX
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by wewerenevrasked)
Immigration was never wanted

Population was never asked

Population was never allowed to talk about it (hate speech etc)

The dangers of being anti-free speech is when your governments, major poltiical parties all enforce something against the interest of a population then deny them their right to oppose it.. well lets just say the future of multicultral Europe will be one of rivers of blood
that is a very convoluted way to say "i'm a racist"
Anonymous #1
I actually haven’t experienced it that much, but I’ve heard a lot of stories. I’m a hijabi on top that lol so very visibly Muslim, but I’m very kind so even if someone was showing unwillingness to talk to me I just brush it off.
I’ve experienced one that I always remember I was like 15 or below (now 18), but me, my sister & cousin were on the bus and then this man started screaming ‘Allah Akbar’ and stuff about Islam, which caused me to have a panic attack and now when I remember it, I just feel embarrassed ahaha because everyone was staring at me, like that was the first and only time I had experienced it
I'm sorry to hear that.

I feel Muslim men have it harder because people think of them as oppressors of women etc
Anonymous #1
(Original post by MalcolmX)
Agreed
zz2002
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm sorry to hear that.

I feel Muslim men have it harder because people think of them as oppressors of women etc
True a lot of people think that about them. But I wouldn’t compare who experiences it more, like tbh every Muslim will be a victim of it at some time and what you experience just depends on the area.
I’ve turned anon off, so feel free to message me OP. Would love to have more Muslim friends
MorrisonsMlik
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MalcolmX)
Tbh everyone is racist to a degree. If loads of English people started migrating to Pakistan I'm sure the locals wouldn't be too happy. As it is the people of England are very tolerant IMO
You're not even allowed to ENTER Mecca if you aren't Muslim
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (70)
27.13%
No - I have already returned home (29)
11.24%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.93%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.85%
No - I live at home during term anyway (77)
29.84%

Watched Threads