The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No way...it is different between different individuals but I doubt there is a clear difference between men and women. timeofyourlife- do you know?
Reply 2
grapefruit
I think they do. Discuss! :hello:

Have you ever watched Dirty Sanchez?
Reply 3
Men tend to be hyperchondriacs though. Hello! Women have childbirth, periods, all sorts of nasties, that we just get on with!
Reply 4
Yeah. I mean. Women have children and just shout a lot. Guys get kicked in the balls and they cry. :rolleyes:
Reply 5
Apart from the fact its been scientifically proven then men have a higher pain threshold, what does it matter? What sort of advantage do you get being able to handle more pain?
Reply 6
grapefruit
I think they do. Discuss! :hello:
Obviously :biggrin:
Why being so retarded? :confused:
Reply 7
grapefruit
Men tend to be hyperchondriacs though. Hello! Women have childbirth, periods, all sorts of nasties, that we just get on with!

That doesn't mean they have a higher threshold....just because women have to go through child brith does mean that if an equal amount of pain was applied to a man he would die!
Reply 8
imasillynarb
Apart from the fact its been scientifically proven then men have a higher pain threshold, what does it matter? What sort of advantage do you get being able to handle more pain?

I'm not trying to answer one of life's most profoundly deep questions, I just started a thread cos I was bored. Jeez.
Reply 9
grapefruit
I'm not trying to answer one of life's most profoundly deep questions, I just started a thread cos I was bored. Jeez.

Yeh, I just couldnt be arsed with it turning into another 'Women are better than men' thread, thats all :P
Reply 10
imasillynarb
Yeh, I just couldnt be arsed with it turning into another 'Women are better than men' thread, thats all :P

I never intended it for become that. Sorry if that's the way it seemed :smile:
Reply 11
NikNak
No way...it is different between different individuals but I doubt there is a clear difference between men and women. timeofyourlife- do you know?

hehe i'm only a second year, not a professor in all things medical :p:

anyway, lots of people have looked into 'thresholds of pain' between the sexes and recent studies actually suggest that women have a lower threshold for pain than men!

a vague demonstration of this is that chronic pain conditions (eg arthritis) are up to seven times more common in women than in men. only things such as headaches and back pain are more common in men.

in answer to the question, no one really knows. if we think of it in the sense that we can block pain perception by either blocking the brain's interpretation of pain (e.g. morphine) or blocking the peripheral production of prostaglandins (a mediator of pain, eg. paracetamol) then we can relate that to varying hormone concentrations in women and how women can have changing perceptions of pain throughout life compared to men.

in a nut shell, studies are conflicting on this issue so we can't say scientifically either way.
Reply 12
timeofyourlife
hehe i'm only a second year, not a professor in all things medical :p:

anyway, lots of people have looked into 'thresholds of pain' between the sexes and recent studies actually suggest that women have a lower threshold for pain than men!

a vague demonstration of this is that chronic pain conditions (eg arthritis) are up to seven times more common in women than in men. only things such as headaches and back pain are more common in men.

in answer to the question, no one really knows. if we think of it in the sense that we can block pain perception by either blocking the brain's interpretation of pain (e.g. morphine) or blocking the peripheral production of prostaglandins (a mediator of pain, eg. paracetamol) then we can relate that to varying hormone concentrations in women and how women can have changing perceptions of pain throughout life compared to men.

in a nut shell, studies are conflicting on this issue so we can't say scientifically either way.

Wow. Ok! Well maybe I should change it to women have more pain in their lives than men, whether or not they're better able to cope with it is not clear!
Reply 13
grapefruit
Wow. Ok! Well maybe I should change it to women have more pain in their lives than men, whether or not they're better able to cope with it is not clear!

it's a good question - but to consider thesholds of pain we also need to consider "perceptions of pain".

e.g. what a man describes as painful may be described as "uncomfortable" by a woman.

the last i heard they were testing pain thresholds on lab. mice - the whole difference between the sexes thing is still new scientific stuff.

a key question that needs to be answered is actually sociological, not physiological - social conditioning or physical difference?
Reply 14
timeofyourlife
it's a good question - but to consider thesholds of pain we also need to consider "perceptions of pain".

e.g. what a man describes as painful may be described as "uncomfortable" by a woman.

the last i heard they were testing pain thresholds on lab. mice - the whole difference between the sexes thing is still new scientific stuff.

a key question that needs to be answered is actually sociological, not physiological - social conditioning or physical difference?

Well if later in your life, you ever do some research into it and uncover the answer, do let me know the answer!
Reply 15
i'm sure child birth is over-rated :wink:
Reply 16
Yes... well if I'm anything to go by... :redface:
Reply 17
I totally disagree. Men cant have childern (except in "junior") We, men, do not know how muc pain is involved. I do admit, there are some real pussy ass men out there and some strong women. Generally, Men can handle pain far better than Women.
Reply 18
timeofyourlife

So women go to the doctor with a pain caused by actual damage to the joints and that means they have a lower pain threshold than men.

To quote an old hospital prase "pain is what the patient says it is", some people need more pain relief than others. Some people have more nervous tissue than others and therefore feel pain more acutely.

There is a theory that women are better at dealing with with chronic pain and men with acute pain.

I have a sister in law who has never taken a painkiller in her life, she's had 3 kids and said childbirth wasn't 'that painful', does that mean she has a high pain threshold? Or does it mean she had easy labours?

I don't know if hormones change the way men feel pain but women are more likley to feel pain around the time of their period.

Basically humans feel pain (so do animals), how your body responds to pain is individual and asking whether men or women have a higher pain threshold is like asking if men like chips more than women, or do women sleep better than men? totally useless question.

so why have i just wasted my time with a response *walks away shaking head*
Reply 19
sashh
So women go to the doctor with a pain caused by actual damage to the joints and that means they have a lower pain threshold than men.

the point i was trying to get across is that women suffer more 'chronic' pain conditions than men, but i agree with the fact we're relying on perceptions which of course vary between the sexes.

sashh
Basically humans feel pain (so do animals), how your body responds to pain is individual and asking whether men or women have a higher pain threshold is like asking if men like chips more than women, or do women sleep better than men? totally useless question.

on what basis can you dismiss it as a useless question? just one look at medical journal websites reveal hundreds of studies (some as recent as last year) on differences in thresholds between the sexes. also using animals to test can yeild better results as an animal's not going to be influenced by social conditioning and only respond when they think they ought to.

the differences between genetics and hormones between genders show differing levels of felt pain in the cranial levels and how pain is interpreted by the male and female brain, so i think it is naive at best to say pain perception is solely 'individual' and has no sex-linked genetic/hormonal basis.

Latest

Trending

Trending