I have no idea what I want to do at Uni.

Watch
ShazWeeb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hey guys, I'm 16, currently taking Biology chemistry, maths and psychology for A/AS level. I love music. It's my passion and everyday I am working towards it. However its currently my side hustle and I cant ignore the fact that I need to make money sooner or later. in order to do that I need to go into an actual career until my music takes off. The problem lies in what? I'm going to uni in under 2 years time. I have no idea what i want to do at uni. nothing interests me. So what im looking for is something that pays good, and gives me enough time in a day to work on my music and an extra benefit, is its not EXTREMELY difficult to learn at uni if that makes sense. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
MadameRazz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
why not do a music related course if thats what you’re interested in?
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ShazWeeb)
Hey guys, I'm 16, currently taking Biology chemistry, maths and psychology for A/AS level. I love music. It's my passion and everyday I am working towards it. However its currently my side hustle and I cant ignore the fact that I need to make money sooner or later. in order to do that I need to go into an actual career until my music takes off. The problem lies in what? I'm going to uni in under 2 years time. I have no idea what i want to do at uni. nothing interests me. So what im looking for is something that pays good, and gives me enough time in a day to work on my music and an extra benefit, is its not EXTREMELY difficult to learn at uni if that makes sense. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
What type of music do you like some unis do Pop music production so if you wn to do like rock music and stuff that might suit you.
ShazWeeb
Rep:
?
(Original post by MadameRazz)
why not do a music related course if thats what you’re interested in?
I've done research, and a music degree is pretty useless as you can easily learn what you want for free by yourself with just time and patience than spend 9k a year from a uni. Also, no matter how confident I am in myself, there is still a chance that I may lose at music as only the minority truly become successful. Doing a music degree, won't help if I fail at what I want to do with it which is music production for artists or potentially become an artist myself.
ShazWeeb
Rep:
?
(Original post by jonathanemptage)
What type of music do you like some unis do Pop music production so if you wn to do like rock music and stuff that might suit you.
I'm into making mainly hiphop and RnB. But I replied to MadameRazz, regarding why I can't do a music degree
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
hey what country are you from?pakistan?
MadameRazz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I've done research, and a music degree is pretty useless as you can easily learn what you want for free by yourself with just time and patience than spend 9k a year from a uni. Also, no matter how confident I am in myself, there is still a chance that I may lose at music as only the minority truly become successful. Doing a music degree, won't help if I fail at what I want to do with it which is music production for artists or potentially become an artist myself.
uni isn’t just about learning, its also about networking. to make it, it helps to know people.
Vighnes0216
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey man...uk u can't do music as a degree as it doesn't earn much...I suggest u pick a course that earns decently and u don't mind studying for and earning for the next few years and go to a uni which is known for its extra curricular activities like music...so u can do both ur degree and earn a recognised place in music as well...or u can go into a conservatory and do a part time with that
Last edited by Vighnes0216; 3 weeks ago
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm into making mainly hiphop and RnB. But I replied to MadameRazz, regarding why I can't do a music degree
The point is with that degree (and why I suggested it is you could self produce your hip hop and RnB also you’ll meet lots of artists and managers who could give you a leg up and you’ll have a marketable skill even if as a. Musician you don’t make it you’ll still be in that world also the university will give you access to equipment you might nor get self teaching.
pepsimaxcherry
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
university isn’t everything! if you find something else, don’t feel like you have to go to uni! but if you do choose to, that’s totally okay too! some unis offer joint honours courses where you can do something and music together, have you looked into those? im not sure what combinations there are, but some might interest you?

do you know what career you want? if so, work backwards from that! see what you need to get to your goal, and then see what degree would help you get there!

best of luck! im sure you’ll do great at whatever you choose
DoNotMove
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You could do a Music Business related course? Or, seeing as you're good at sciences, you could do a Music Tech / Audio Tech course which has some focus in programming and is in a science department not an arts department. That way, you could go into software dev after uni and still do music on the side, or do music-related dev (this is what my partner plans to do, he's a 3rd year studying Audio Tech).
sparklesandmud
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Everyone is giving very good advice here, but i'm afraid my advice is more cynical but massively helped me when i chose. The best way to think about what to do at uni, is to think about it like this: "what do i want to train for, and eventually work for the rest of my life?"

A lot of people will say to study what you love, to get a job in what you love, but let's be honest in the modern climate your love for a subject you choose will be beaten out of you by countless essays and deadlines and angry bosses anyway. Choose what you can see yourself being worked to death for.

I really hope this doesn't bum you out, i'm only sharing because thinking like this helped me personally.
student424
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Many people do a degree that bears no resemblance to what they end up doing in the workplace so I wouldn't get hung up on that. Many people graduate and don't get employment immediately either....often because they just don't know what they want to do. In our current Covid climate there will sadly be many graduates that may not get jobs for ages either. Uni isn't the be all and end all anyway. What I would say is that uni (maybe not so easily at the moment mind) is a time for having some fun and learning independent skills. If you want to do music in some shape or form then do it. You'll always do better at something you really enjoy. I don't really know much about music degrees but maybe there is some sort of related degree that might be a good option. Can you speak to your careers advisor at school/college? I would hope that they might be able to help to steer you in the right direction. Also, do the degree course descriptions give any advice as to what music degrees can lead on to?
University of Sheffield Students
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi there!

Current university Music student here! To the people saying a music degree is useless, I wholly disagree. A music degree gives you lots of transferrable skills such as creativity, ability to think and plan ahead, ability to collaborate and work with others effectively in order to achieve work place goals, and the ability to manage time well and juggle multiple projects at once, therefore a music degree is very attractive to employers. At the end of the day, unless you're going into medicine or something like that, employers only look to see if you have a degree at all. By taking a music degree, you aren't just guaranteeing a job in music - that job could be in almost any field of work so don't worry about job prospects!

All you have to think is you are at university for 3 years so you need to be studying something that you are most passionate about and will therefore do well - that's why I chose music anyway!

I hope this helped slightly. Please do let me know if you have any questions about studying music at university and I would love to help!

Emily
- 3rd Year, BMus
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (525)
33.78%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (642)
41.31%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (315)
20.27%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (72)
4.63%

Watched Threads