Personal statement for different courses

Watch
Musky
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I’m planning to take criminology and sociology for my undergraduate degree in all the universities In Scotland (Aberdeen, Stirling and Abertay) while history for the remaining two options, but I’m not really sure how to structure my personal statement as history and criminology don’t really have anything in common? I don’t want to make my PS criminology based in case I don’t get accepted and Is a turn off for the unis in which I want to apply for history? Help??
OCorOOC6337
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd recommend making points that combine the two - so looking at a historical crime or something to do with laws and how they've changed/developed over time. Part of your statement should discuss something you've done/ researched in relation to your subjects so hopefully you can find an article or book that you're interested in that will "combine (my) love for both history and criminology" if that makes sense. Also consider skills that are important for both, e.g. the ability to distinguish bias or to be able to analyse something to a great level. Good luck!
Musky
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by OCorOOC6337)
I'd recommend making points that combine the two - so looking at a historical crime or something to do with laws and how they've changed/developed over time. Part of your statement should discuss something you've done/ researched in relation to your subjects so hopefully you can find an article or book that you're interested in that will "combine (my) love for both history and criminology" if that makes sense. Also consider skills that are important for both, e.g. the ability to distinguish bias or to be able to analyse something to a great level. Good luck!
Thank you so so much!, my advisers aren’t much of help and I’m struggling a LOT! so I’m trying to ask wherever I can, I’ll try to use all the advices you given me, thank you again and have a great day!!
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Dont apply for two wildly different courses. There is no way you can write a convincing PS for both History and Criminology without making it look obvious that you are not committed to either course. You risk getting multiple rejections.

The only exceptions to this are if you know for certain that a University doesnt read the PS for that course (email them and ask them), or if they will allow you to submit a separate PS for History directly to them (email them and ask them).
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Musky)
So I’m planning to take criminology and sociology for my undergraduate degree in all the universities In Scotland (Aberdeen, Stirling and Abertay) while history for the remaining two options, but I’m not really sure how to structure my personal statement as history and criminology don’t really have anything in common? I don’t want to make my PS criminology based in case I don’t get accepted and Is a turn off for the unis in which I want to apply for history? Help??
Hiya!

The university of Portsmouth are doing an ask me anything this week based on personal statements!
The link is here - if you want to post your question
The student recruitment team will be happy to give you some good advice

Eloise - Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (73)
27.76%
No - I have already returned home (30)
11.41%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.53%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.65%
No - I live at home during term anyway (78)
29.66%

Watched Threads