The Student Room Group

Russian History Coursework

I am struggling on how to start my history coursework essay. The problem is I have to consider 100 years of history but the school are not actually teaching any content. I am finding it hard to do an essay plan as there is so much information. My essay needs to be 3000 words and should include different historian' perspectives and some sources. The title is:
'The Oppressive nature of the Stallinist regime has differed in only degree rather than the principle from other Russian regimes. ' How valid is this view in the context of the period 1881 to 1991?
Grateful for an essay plan or an example of an essay so I can get an overview.
Many thanks
Original post by James Jobling
I am struggling on how to start my history coursework essay. The problem is I have to consider 100 years of history but the school are not actually teaching any content. I am finding it hard to do an essay plan as there is so much information. My essay needs to be 3000 words and should include different historian' perspectives and some sources. The title is:
'The Oppressive nature of the Stallinist regime has differed in only degree rather than the principle from other Russian regimes. ' How valid is this view in the context of the period 1881 to 1991?
Grateful for an essay plan or an example of an essay so I can get an overview.
Many thanks

You need to work out a way to answer the question. Its better to understand how you do this with history essays than looking at middle answers.
I'm not doing plans anymore, but you need a methodology.

Look at the title and what is it asking you? Understand every word and break it down into ideas?

Its asking you to compare regimes during this period.
How many?
So I would guess you could look at the Tsars.
Lenin.
STALIN
Post Stalin/ communists..
Gorbachov
Putin

So I would pick 3-5 noting you need to choose a min of one before and one after so you cover the period.

The name of the game is Oppression- Understand how a regime oppresses its population. Methods. How can you measure it?
Understand what each regime did in facts.
Understand why.

You only have 3000 words so your examination of regimes doesnt have to be detailed, but does have to be focused.

Once you have done the research and understand what each regime did
in terms of facts,
then you can look in terms of principle. Just make a table for each regime.

You then have a decision to make as to whether you do a regime comparison or do the comparison in a thematic way of aspects of oppression.
Just brain storm till you get a format you like.

If you have done all the above then you have enough research and sources that you can draft your essay.
Keep the format simple and clear. It has to answer the question.
Treat it as 10 x 300 word essays. with 1 unit being the intro and 2x the conclusion.
If you have done the though and research then your argument and essay should start to write itself.

Imo the key is understanding the methods of oppression.
Understanding if principle makes any difference. that is the bit they want your analysis and explanation plus assessment. Play around with the idea of oppression and principles, ends justifies means etc.

Just watch documentaries, watch Death of Stalin, thats a funny film.
Cheers. Some sound advice.
James

Quick Reply

Latest