fatty454
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
In year 12 and I achieved 9 at GCSE (French is my thing lol), did AQA for GCSE but Edexcel now. What are your thoughts about the course, hard, alright, fairly easy?
Pichi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm also doing Edexcel, got a 9 in French on Edexcel as well and was getting 9s consistently in Year 11 anyway (just clarifying since the validity of our grades is constantly being questioned as the Class of 2020).

I'd say it's okay right now- not as easy as I wish it was, but not too much of a nightmare either. We had a two-hour debate just before half-term on being for or against Le Pacs and I was the one who spoke the most and longest, which I would never have been able to do at GCSE, and on the spot as well.
The vocabulary learning is fine. Tenses aren't too difficult and I'm tackling en, y and imperatives right now on the grammar side.

But can I ask how you're finding the book and if you even know what to do about it? It takes me an hour to get through- and translate words I don't know- ten pages of Un Sac de Billes, whereas I could annotate two-three chapters of Dracula in that same time (A-Level English Lit) and I'm wondering if anyone else is feeling like this. Do you know HOW we even analyse the book (e.g. like analysing language like in GCSE English Lit)? I barely get to see the teacher who does the book with us as well because of Covid timetabling meaning I only see her twice in Week 4 (because of Covid we now have a monthly timetable).

Final question: What do we even do with all of the facts and statistics we've learned from Unit 1 (Le changement dans la structure familiale)? My teacher has given us extra articles on the topic- for example, on the advantages and disadvantages of la famille recomposee- but I wonder if this is just extra stuff she's making us do for practice or if we'll actually need to know these advantages and disadvantages for an exam. Do you have any idea about this?

Sorry for the long message- I can barely find people doing A-Level French here on TSR, and most people seem to do AQA for a language. On top of that, my French class is very small and the first in years at my school, so I'm questioning if we're even doing things correctly.

Anyway, how are you finding it as well?
Last edited by Pichi; 4 weeks ago
fatty454
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pichi)
I'm also doing Edexcel, got a 9 in French on Edexcel as well and was getting 9s consistently in Year 11 anyway (just clarifying since the validity of our grades is constantly being questioned as the Class of 2020).

I'd say it's okay right now- not as easy as I wish it was, but not too much of a nightmare either. We had a two-hour debate just before half-term on being for or against Le Pacs and I was the one who spoke the most and longest, which I would never have been able to do at GCSE, and on the spot as well.
The vocabulary learning is fine. Tenses aren't too difficult and I'm tackling en, y and imperatives right now on the grammar side.

But can I ask how you're finding the book and if you even know what to do about it? It takes me an hour to get through- and translate words I don't know- ten pages of Un Sac de Billes, whereas I could annotate two-three chapters of Dracula in that same time (A-Level English Lit) and I'm wondering if anyone else is feeling like this. Do you know HOW we even analyse the book (e.g. like analysing language like in GCSE English Lit)? I barely get to see the teacher who does the book with us as well because of Covid timetabling meaning I only see her twice in Week 4 (because of Covid we now have a monthly timetable).

Final question: What do we even do with all of the facts and statistics we've learned from Unit 1 (Le changements dans la structure familiale)? My teacher has given us extra articles on the topic- for example, on the advantages and disadvantages of la famille recomposee- but I wonder if this is just extra stuff she's making us do for practice or if we'll actually need to know these advantages and disadvantages for an exam. Do you have any idea about this?

Sorry for the long message- I can barely find people doing A-Level French here on TSR, and most people seem to do AQA for a language. On top of that, my French class is very small and the first in years at my school, so I'm questioning if we're even doing things correctly.

Anyway, how are you finding it as well?
Enchanté, mon ami ! (sorry not assuming genders its 2020) Nous avons commencé avec l'enseignement avec un prof et les structures familiales avec un autre prof. English now, we have finished LSF (still doing education) and now we're moving on the film. I think we're doing Sac de Billes, not sure yet and yes we had a debate on Friday over "une famille recomposée". For the adv and dis for famille recomposée, I'd keep hold onto that for the speaking exam or even writing exams. And omg, we're so similar! MY FRENCH CLASS HAS 6 PEOPLE! We've tackled loads f grammar but its so annoying cos 3 people who acheived a 9 excel at grammar but those who got 7-8 struggle! What other A-Levels you doing, maybe pop a message? Merci pour ta réponse !
Last edited by fatty454; 4 weeks ago
Pichi
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
C'est une fille ici !

Nous avons fini LSF il y a deux semaines (je pense?) mais peut-être ma prof a voulu pratiquer à parler, lire, etc sur le sujet avant de passer à autre chose.

We're not even touching the film until Year 13, but she's given us CDs to watch some at home (I currently have La Haine on me and I watched Être et Avoir at the start of October). Now that you've said you're already on education, I feel a little nervous that we're behind, but I know my teacher (like you, I also have two teachers- one for the book/film, the other for the general topics) has a detailed plan for each week, so maybe it's okay.

Thanks for answering my question on advantages and disadvantages because I couldn't see how that information could be useful on the listening, reading and writing paper, though I had a feeling it would have relevance to the speaking exam.

My French class has eight people who got grades between 7-9. We're all doing okay, except one girl who I think got a 6/7 (I'm kind of wondering why she's here because she makes lots of basic mistakes that nobody else does, but maybe she likes it a lot? There's no way she can drop it now though, because only certain people in my year group are allowed to take 4 or more A-Levels). One girl in my class lived in Italy for a while, so she finds French easier than most, I think. Another speaks fluent Polish and his French accent is amazing.

And, since you asked, I also do A-Level English Literature, Psychology and Spanish (at home- mostly by myself, with the help of my mum and her friend who's an A-Level tutor; unfortunately, I wasn't raised bilingual). I have no idea what I want to be or to study at university- I keep bouncing back and forth between just English Literature, joint English Literature with a language, or joint French and Spanish. What are you planning to study, out of curiosity?

What are your other A-Levels? I've noticed that you do Arabic as well (hope you don't mind me stalking your page lol) which is actually a very in-demand language now. One of the careers I'm considering is being a diplomat, and that would be a great language to have. Did you do it at GCSE, or are you fluent? And, although this is off-topic, can you give me any advice on learning Arabic and on what type is best to learn? I learned basic Arabic as a child, but can only do as much as read the letters and identify the sounds now, but I'd like to use this as a starting point to actually learn to understand what I'm reading aloud.

Est-ce que nous pourrions rester en contact ici? J'adorerais parler avec une autre personne sur A-Level French parce qu'il semble qu'elles sont vraiment rares ici sur TSR! Peut-être j'envoyerai un message privé à l'avenir .
Last edited by Pichi; 4 weeks ago
fatty454
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pichi)
C'est une fille ici !

Nous avons fini LSF depuis deux semaines (je pense?) mais peut-être ma prof a voulu pratiquer à parler, lire, etc sur le sujet avant de passer à autre chose.

We're not even touching the film until Year 13, but she's given us CDs to watch some at home (I currently have La Haine on me and I watched Être et Avoir at the start of October). Now that you've said you're already on education, I feel a little nervous that we're behind, but I know my teacher (like you, I also have two teachers- one for the book/film, the other for the general topics) has a detailed plan for each week, so maybe it's okay.

Thanks for answering my question on advantages and disadvantages because I couldn't see how that information could be useful on the listening, reading and writing paper, though I had a feeling it would have relevance to the speaking exam.

My French class has eight people who got grades between 7-9. We're all doing okay, except one girl who I think got a 6/7 (I'm kind of wondering why she's here because she makes lots of basic mistakes that nobody else does, but maybe she likes it a lot? There's no way she can drop it now though, because only certain people in my year group are allowed to take 4 or more A-Levels). One girl in my class lived in Italy for a while, so she finds French easier than most, I think. Another speaks fluent Polish and his French accent is amazing.

And, since you asked, I also do A-Level English Literature, Psychology and Spanish (at home- mostly by myself, with the help of my mum and her friend who's an A-Level tutor; unfortunately, I wasn't raised bilingual). I have no idea what I want to be or to study at university- I keep bouncing back and forth between just English Literature, joint English Literature with a language, or joint French and Spanish. What are you planning to study, out of curiosity?

What are your other A-Levels? I've noticed that you do Arabic as well (hope you don't mind me stalking your page lol) which is actually a very in-demand language now. One of the careers I'm considering is being a diplomat, and that would be a great language to have. Did you do it at GCSE, or are you fluent? And, although this is off-topic, can you give me any advice on learning Arabic and on what type is best to learn? I learned basic Arabic as a child, but can only do as much as read the letters and identify the sounds now, but I'd like to use this as a starting point to actually learn to understand what I'm reading aloud.

Est-ce que nous pourrions rester en contact ici? J'adorerais parler avec une autre personne sur A-Level French parce qu'il semble qu'elles sont vraiment rares ici sur TSR! Peut-être j'envoyerai un message privé à l'avenir .
My school only allows those who achieved 7-9 to do French, German, Maths and Sciences. There's 3 that got a 9, 1 that got an 8 and 2 that got 7s. Those who got 7s struggle a lot and it can be frustrating (you may think I'm being harsh BUT THEY LITERALLY CAN'T FORM THE PERFECT TENSE). I did Spanish in primary and I excelled in French better than 99% at school (but I was questionable in other subjects :P).

Always, I preferred Spanish. I found it much easier and the pronunciation is easier also but my French accent is quite good (I can't lie hahah) but I think for doing French for 5 years now I prefer French. En ce moment, je fais le français, l'allemand avec la politique. Je ne fais pas l'arabe, cependant, à la fac, j'étuderai le français (bien sûr) avec l'arabe à l'université d'Edinburgh (j'èspere) mais si tout va mal, je ferai le français avec la politique. Je suis musulmane donc je sais déjà l'alphabet arabe. J'ai des doutes à faire le français avec l'arabe ou avec l'espagnol mais pour l'espagnol, ce serait "ab-initio" et je préférerais aller au Moyen-Orient plus qu'en Espagne mais j'adorerais aller en Latinoamérica porque me encanta ! and Arabic is such a sought-after language and I want to work in an embassy or the civil service - that's why I chose politics and I'm a political nerd lol. Is that similar as a diplomat like embassies?

Sans doute, on peut rester en contact ici !
Last edited by fatty454; 4 weeks ago
Pichi
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Don't worry, the issue with the perfect tense happens in my class too- I think that girl was let in because my French teacher was desperate to have Year 12s after ten-ish years lol).

Je suis musulmane aussi! C'est pour ça que je sais un peu d'arabe.

I didn't even consider doing Arabic ab initio! I've always felt like it would be risky to do both French and Spanish together because they're less in-demand than Arabic, so that's a good idea. I was literally reading up on the Civil Service Fast Stream today and I think I saw that training in German, French, Arabic and Mandarin (so not Spanish ) are provided, so maybe it would be a better idea to do French and Arabic if you want to be a diplomat or work in an embassy (even I was thinking about embassies today- we're oddly similar, but I'm glad to have found a like-minded person). On top of that, France and the Arabic world are actually quite connected (like Morocco) so those two would go nicely together. I think it wouldn't be worth it to do Spanish at university for me, as I'm already half-Spanish, even though I'm only at A-Level standard in terms of competence in the language. But I agree it is much easier to pronounce!

Alors, à partir de maintenant j'envoyerai des messages privés si tu voudrais continuer cette conversation. À bientôt !
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Use flashcards. Jot down facts on them etc.
fatty454
Rep:
?
(Original post by tinygirl96)
Use flashcards. Jot down facts on them etc
Are you doing French currently?
fatty454
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pichi)
(Don't worry, the issue with the perfect tense happens in my class too- I think that girl was let in because my French teacher was desperate to have Year 12s after ten-ish years lol).

Je suis musulmane aussi! C'est pour ça que je sais un peu d'arabe.

I didn't even consider doing Arabic ab initio! I've always felt like it would be risky to do both French and Spanish together because they're less in-demand than Arabic, so that's a good idea. I was literally reading up on the Civil Service Fast Stream today and I think I saw that training in German, French, Arabic and Mandarin (so not Spanish ) are provided, so maybe it would be a better idea to do French and Arabic if you want to be a diplomat or work in an embassy (even I was thinking about embassies today- we're oddly similar, but I'm glad to have found a like-minded person). On top of that, France and the Arabic world are actually quite connected (like Morocco) so those two would go nicely together. I think it wouldn't be worth it to do Spanish at university for me, as I'm already half-Spanish, even though I'm only at A-Level standard in terms of competence in the language. But I agree it is much easier to pronounce!

Alors, à partir de maintenant j'envoyerai des messages privés si tu voudrais continuer cette conversation. À bientôt !
Ce serait incroyable, si tu m'envoyais un message privé ! (getting a si clause in there )
qwertyuiop1993
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Pichi)
*J'enverrai

Just a nitpick. Best of luck with learning French!
Last edited by qwertyuiop1993; 4 weeks ago
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No but I did at school
Pichi
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by qwertyuiop1993)
*J'enverrai

Just a nitpick. Best of luck with learning French!
Hehe, I didn’t even notice or check but at least I got the ending correct. Thanks for pointing it out. Better you than my teacher having a fit in the classroom about it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (563)
34.12%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (680)
41.21%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (332)
20.12%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.55%

Watched Threads