Edexcel A Level Further Maths Options Which do i choose

Watch
liamlarner
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
so when i go to univeristy i plan to do television and film studies with mathematics which would be the best option to me as i do this course distance learning so can choose my modules what do i do what will benefit me the most

FP1 and FP2
FM1 and FM2
FS1 and FS2
D1 and D2
FP1 and FM1
FP1 and FS1
FP1 and D1
FM1 and FS1
FM1 and D1
FM1 and FP1
FS1 and D1
Em2111
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you're distance learning do you have a teacher? Because I would have suggested doing the subjects your teacher knows most about, but that may not be an option.
Also, there are some options that are far more popular than others (basically any combination that includes FM1 or FS1 from your list), which means that the grade boundaries are a lot wider, so you have a much better chance at getting higher grades.
But the best advice that I could give is to just chose the subject that you are best at. Personally, my class hated statistics so we steered clear of it and are doing FM1 and D1, as apparently D1 tends to be an easier option (it's logic based) and it is mostly just remembering formulas.
Hope this helps
liamlarner
Rep:
?
(Original post by Em2111)
If you're distance learning do you have a teacher? Because I would have suggested doing the subjects your teacher knows most about, but that may not be an option.
Also, there are some options that are far more popular than others (basically any combination that includes FM1 or FS1 from your list), which means that the grade boundaries are a lot wider, so you have a much better chance at getting higher grades.
But the best advice that I could give is to just chose the subject that you are best at. Personally, my class hated statistics so we steered clear of it and are doing FM1 and D1, as apparently D1 tends to be an easier option (it's logic based) and it is mostly just remembering formulas.
Hope this helps
I do but i only see her once a week so i have to do a lot of the work outside of the classroom so she is letting me pick an option and wants me to pick something i want to do if it helps recommending me options i have a brilliant recall memory as a result in my GCSES i aced the equations part of physics so decision might be an option she also mentioned FM1 repeats a lot of GCSE Physics equations for example kinetic energy so that might be an advantage to me not sure looking for what would be benifitial what do you think would the best options be for someone who has an amazing recall equation/formula memory i am only taking further maths to AS Level by the way due to the stretch and challenge of the qualification
Em2111
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by liamlarner)
I do but i only see her once a week so i have to do a lot of the work outside of the classroom so she is letting me pick an option and wants me to pick something i want to do if it helps recommending me options i have a brilliant recall memory as a result in my GCSES i aced the equations part of physics so decision might be an option she also mentioned FM1 repeats a lot of GCSE Physics equations for example kinetic energy so that might be an advantage to me not sure looking for what would be benifitial what do you think would the best options be for someone who has an amazing recall equation/formula memory i am only taking further maths to AS Level by the way due to the stretch and challenge of the qualification
I'm pretty sure you only need to take one option for an AS Level. Your teachers is right in saying that FM1 is basically just GCSE physics (or it at least is to the point I'm at which is the end of chapter 3). Normal A Level FM1 is also the smallest of all the options, with only 5 chapters, but for AS level this is reduced to 3 (Chapters 1, 2 and4). I would highly suggest doing this option for AS. A guy in my year is also doing this and has taught himself half of the content as his timetable clashes with our Further Maths lessons. It's definitely doable.
liamlarner
Rep:
?
(Original post by Em2111)
I'm pretty sure you only need to take one option for an AS Level. Your teachers is right in saying that FM1 is basically just GCSE physics (or it at least is to the point I'm at which is the end of chapter 3). Normal A Level FM1 is also the smallest of all the options, with only 5 chapters, but for AS level this is reduced to 3 (Chapters 1, 2 and4). I would highly suggest doing this option for AS. A guy in my year is also doing this and has taught himself half of the content as his timetable clashes with our Further Maths lessons. It's definitely doable.
yeah the edexcel spec says i need to take two options so would you say FM1 and D1 would be best given my situation
Em2111
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by liamlarner)
yeah the edexcel spec says i need to take two options so would you say FM1 and D1 would be best given my situation
I'm probably biased towards them since they were my options, but I would say so, yeah.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (641)
33.49%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (809)
42.27%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.75%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.49%

Watched Threads