The Student Room Group

Changing course at Oxford

I am a first year student studying at Oxford Uni and I am not enjoying my degree.

I had a meeting with my tutor recently and I have been told that they can see that I am doing the reading and thinking about it, but my essays are quite poor. I think I may do still fine in Moderations but I am going to 'hit a wall' when 2nd and 3rd year modules kick in.

I am therefore thinking about switching subject, specifically I would switch from Law to History and Politics. Having said that, I am not in the position to start again next year or change university altogether for a number of personal reasons. I have not told this to my tutors since I do not want them to have a bad impression of me if I am not actually going to switch. Is it easy to change course, and especially, how likely is it that they are going to Ofer my entry to next year? There are only 2 students studying His Pol at my College.
Reply 1
Bump.
I'm fairly sure that even if you were successful at changing subjects within your college (which isn't the easiest thing to do in the first place), you'd have to start from first year. I don't think you'd be able to enter second year HistPol not having studied it for first year...
Reply 3
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I'm fairly sure that even if you were successful at changing subjects within your college (which isn't the easiest thing to do in the first place), you'd have to start from first year. I don't think you'd be able to enter second year HistPol not having studied it for first year...

Sorry, I meant that I have just started my course this October. As I said, I am a first year student.
Original post by Anonymous
Sorry, I meant that I have just started my course this October. As I said, I am a first year student.

I understood that bit :yes: I just meant that sometimes the advice is to sit Mods/Prelims and then start again from first year on the new course.

I understand that you don't want to talk to your tutors at present about switching subjects. Have you sought the advice of your college's Senior Tutor? They are the people above your subject tutors, who have responsibility for your academic welfare and progression, and would be able to advise properly/further :yes:
Reply 5
I understood that bit :yes: I just meant that sometimes the advice is to sit Mods/Prelims and then start again from first year on the new course.

I understand that you don't want to talk to your tutors at present about switching subjects. Have you sought the advice of your college's Senior Tutor? They are the people above your subject tutors, who have responsibility for your academic welfare and progression, and would be able to advise properly/further :yes:

Oh right, apologises, I was not aware of that. That would defiantly not be an option for me. One person at my college already left the course, I am not sure whether she is going to start next year or this one.

I did not know about the figure of the Senior Tutor, I will try to get in touch with him/her.

Thanks for the advice.
Oh right, apologises, I was not aware of that. That would defiantly not be an option for me. One person at my college already left the course, I am not sure whether she is going to start next year or this one.

I did not know about the figure of the Senior Tutor, I will try to get in touch with him/her.

Thanks for the advice.

No problem! It should list who is the Senior Tutor on the college website, as well as any handbooks you've been given, or on Welfare Team posters dotted around the college :yes: Good luck! :smile:
Reply 7
No problem! It should list who is the Senior Tutor on the college website, as well as any handbooks you've been given, or on Welfare Team posters dotted around the college :yes: Good luck! :smile:

Sorry for being a being, but I got to incommode you since none else reply. I was thinking hat perhaps asking the Senior Tutor would mean that my tutors would get to know what I have said. Also, I fear they may make me rusticate anyway only because I am not sure of my course anymore, especially seeing their general over-zealousness in such matters. Would you say that confidentially asking a second year student at my college whom I got to know in the past weeks may be a better idea?
Sorry for being a being, but I got to incommode you since none else reply. I was thinking hat perhaps asking the Senior Tutor would mean that my tutors would get to know what I have said. Also, I fear they may make me rusticate anyway only because I am not sure of my course anymore, especially seeing their general over-zealousness in such matters. Would you say that confidentially asking a second year student at my college whom I got to know in the past weeks may be a better idea?

You can ask a second-year student as a starting point but only the Senior Tutor or your college subject tutors would be able to advise if it is possible to do this and if so, how. So you will have to end up telling one or the other of them anyway, I'm afraid :frown: Theoretically speaking, the Senior Tutor should be able to be discreet about it and give impartial advice without automatically telling your tutors what you've said, but it really depends on the people in question and how "reactionary" they are. I don't think they can get you to rusticate purely because you're not so sure of the course anymore! Or at least they shouldn't be able to do that... :s-smilie:
Reply 9
You can ask a second-year student as a starting point but only the Senior Tutor or your college subject tutors would be able to advise if it is possible to do this and if so, how. So you will have to end up telling one or the other of them anyway, I'm afraid :frown: Theoretically speaking, the Senior Tutor should be able to be discreet about it and give impartial advice without automatically telling your tutors what you've said, but it really depends on the people in question and how "reactionary" they are. I don't think they can get you to rusticate purely because you're not so sure of the course anymore! Or at least they shouldn't be able to do that... :s-smilie:

Makes sense, thank you. I read on student newspapers of individuals that got to rusticate after a PTSD diagnosis by a college doctor against their will. I understand that the matter is well different but it seems like they do not have a strong incentive to keep you in College this year as they are well oversubscribed.
Makes sense, thank you. I read on student newspapers of individuals that got to rusticate after a PTSD diagnosis by a college doctor against their will. I understand that the matter is well different but it seems like they do not have a strong incentive to keep you in College this year as they are well oversubscribed.

Oh Oxford does **** like that every year tbh, regardless of how over- or undersubscribed colleges are. The Fitness to Study panel (for disabled/mentally ill students) can unfortunately force you to rusticate, but wanting to change subjects is a rather different scenario, like you say :yes:
I am a first year student studying at Oxford Uni and I am not enjoying my degree.

I had a meeting with my tutor recently and I have been told that they can see that I am doing the reading and thinking about it, but my essays are quite poor. I think I may do still fine in Moderations but I am going to 'hit a wall' when 2nd and 3rd year modules kick in.

I am therefore thinking about switching subject, specifically I would switch from Law to History and Politics. Having said that, I am not in the position to start again next year or change university altogether for a number of personal reasons. I have not told this to my tutors since I do not want them to have a bad impression of me if I am not actually going to switch. Is it easy to change course, and especially, how likely is it that they are going to Ofer my entry to next year? There are only 2 students studying His Pol at my College.

I do know people who changed courses without resetting the year, but it was really tough. As you know things move quickly at Oxford so missing 2-3 weeks content is enough to put you way behind.

It would be up to the History and Politics tutors as to whether they will accept you. They may want to interview you in the same way they would normal applicants.

You sometimes need to change college to let a subject change happen.

If you are serious about doing this without repeating a year you need to find your big boy pants and talk to your tutors ASAP. Every day counts in terms of this being possible.
Original post by nexttime
I do know people who changed courses without resetting the year, but it was really tough. As you know things move quickly at Oxford so missing 2-3 weeks content is enough to put you way behind.

It would be up to the History and Politics tutors as to whether they will accept you. They may want to interview you in the same way they would normal applicants.

You sometimes need to change college to let a subject change happen.

If you are serious about doing this without repeating a year you need to find your big boy pants and talk to your tutors ASAP. Every day counts in terms of this being possible.

Right, thank you. I got more info from a second year law student and he said that it would be almost impossible to change. As a result, I am not going to do to do so, since chances of success seem very slim. I'll get on with my work and see if I can get better, since I am currently the worst student in y college for my subject.
Right, thank you. I got more info from a second year law student and he said that it would be almost impossible to change. As a result, I am not going to do to do so, since chances of success seem very slim. I'll get on with my work and see if I can get better, since I am currently the worst student in y college for my subject.

What is that student's experience? How many successful and unsuccessful changes did they know of?

Being worst in your college is hardly a strong statement.

Whatever you decide, best of luck.
Original post by nexttime
What is that student's experience? How many successful and unsuccessful changes did they know of?

Being worst in your college is hardly a strong statement.

Whatever you decide, best of luck.

I have doubts regarding his authority in the matter, but his opinion may be right as a matter of fact although without sound basis to believe so. The fact that everybody else I asked such question on TSR makes me think that he is right.

I have compared my written feedback with those of other individuals and it seem Is a the only one wiring 2:2 low essays for Roman and high 2:2 or Crim.

Thank you.
I have doubts regarding his authority in the matter, but his opinion may be right as a matter of fact although without sound basis to believe so. The fact that everybody else I asked such question on TSR makes me think that he is right.

I have compared my written feedback with those of other individuals and it seem Is a the only one wiring 2:2 low essays for Roman and high 2:2 or Crim.

Thank you.

Just to clarify, Law was not the course I wanted to do. I applied for such degree only because 1 and 1/2 before the UCAS Oxford deadline I was not getting scores high enough in the TSA while I got 35 in the LNAT. If I got a decent score in the TSA, I would have not applied for Law. Of course, I cannot rely on such argument with my tutors.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending