Dhanu N
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys I need some help with GCSE Maths? I don't know what to study in Algebra. For science I usually organise and note the topics and I study them in order. but in maths I really do not know what to study and where to start. Can anyone with this please? especially for algebra.
Emir_0808
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dhanu N)
Hey guys I need some help with GCSE Maths? I don't know what to study in Algebra. For science I usually organise and note the topics and I study them in order. but in maths I really do not know what to study and where to start. Can anyone with this please? especially for algebra.
I personally think you should start off from the basics of algebra because literally, every chapter has some sort of algebra going on. Look at the Content Page for your Maths book (not the revision guide) and look at what page Algebra is on and start off with that and make some notes.

If I was in your situation, I would list all the things I struggle with Algebra, for example, I might be struggling with Completing The Square or I might be struggling with Quadratic Equations or I might be struggling with Index Laws etc. and then I would go on MathsGenie and search those topics up and do some questions and watch the videos on it. There's also another one called Corbett Maths or 'Physics and Maths Tutor' which is really helpful.

Overall, in order to get a good grade at Maths (grade 6/7 maybe), you should at least master Algebra because literally the whole syllabus of Maths has Algebra and it doesn't matter what exam board you are doing, MASTER YOUR ALGEBRA! ..... most importantly GOOD LUCK!
Dhanu N
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
t

(Original post by Emir_0808)
I personally think you should start off from the basics of algebra because literally, every chapter has some sort of algebra going on. Look at the Content Page for your Maths book (not the revision guide) and look at what page Algebra is on and start off with that and make some notes.

If I was in your situation, I would list all the things I struggle with Algebra, for example, I might be struggling with Completing The Square or I might be struggling with Quadratic Equations or I might be struggling with Index Laws etc. and then I would go on MathsGenie and search those topics up and do some questions and watch the videos on it. There's also another one called Corbett Maths or 'Physics and Maths Tutor' which is really helpful.

Overall, in order to get a good grade at Maths (grade 6/7 maybe), you should at least master Algebra because literally the whole syllabus of Maths has Algebra and it doesn't matter what exam board you are doing, MASTER YOUR ALGEBRA! ..... most importantly GOOD LUCK!
Thank you I have exams in November. aiming to get atleast 7 from 4.
username5417586
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In addition to what the above user has said, there’s also Dr Frost Maths, in which you can set yourself questions on certain topics, so identify your weaknesses + test yourself!
username5398218
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ellamayooo)
In addition to what the above user has said, there’s also Dr Frost Maths, in which you can set yourself questions on certain topics, so identify your weaknesses + test yourself!
to show you how bad at maths i am i will say something and that is i dont know what it is......i m sorry ella
Emir_0808
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
t

Thank you I have exams in November. aiming to get atleast 7 from 4.
Good Luck with your Mock Exams. I would also suggest you do some practice exam papers which you can find some on the website that I listed. One top tip, I would give is that when you do some practice papers don't rush them and try to get full marks on the first 10 questions because the average total of the 10 questions is around 35-40 marks and that's around grade 5-6 which will boost your grade up a lot.

If you need anything else, you can ask me here or if you have any difficulties with any questions that you might be stuck on, just ask me in this thread. I would love to help you get at least a 6 or 7.
S Z H
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Use online resources such as Corbett maths, maths genie or exam solutions to solidify ur understanding.

My fav one is maths genie. It has videos on each topic with examples and explanation. Then it has simple Qs. Then it has exam style Qs and answers for you to check if you understand it.

I would suggest going over a recent exam paper and note down the topics that you got wrong. For example if you got the Qs on quadratic equations wrong you note it down. Then you make the whole list and go through them one by one. You can even go over the exam paper and do the Qs that you got wrong again as well as the ones available online.

Honestly honestly speaking, practice really helps (this is a 16 yr old in their gcse year)
Last edited by S Z H; 1 month ago
S Z H
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Emir_0808)

Wow I just read this reply. Basically what I meant but they said it first :eek:
Jackson Jackson
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
find me for exceptional help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (126)
28.38%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.06%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (87)
19.59%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (41)
9.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (132)
29.73%

Watched Threads