The Student Room Group

How much easier are ex-poly degrees?

Hi

I was just wondering how much easier it is to get the same grades or degree classification at a uni ranked 50-70th in the league tables than at a uni ranked in the top 20. Some people do 1 year at a uni, then move to a better/worse one for various reasons and such people would be best placed to know the answer to this question.

For example, someone may have found that it is harder to get 2:2 grades for modules at Manchester in Computer Science than it is to get 1st class grades in the same subject at Kingston.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Unregistered
Hi

I was just wondering how much easier it is to get the same grades or degree classification at a uni ranked 50-70th in the league tables than at a uni ranked in the top 20. Some people do 1 year at a uni, then move to a better/worse one for various reasons and such people would be best placed to know the answer to this question.

For example, someone may have found that it is harder to get 2:2 grades for modules at Manchester in Computer Science than it is to get 1st class grades in the same subject at Kingston.

Thanks

Of course there is no objective answer to this. Also, I wouldn't want to mock the efforts of those studying at the former Poly's. It is easier though, particuarly their first year. People going to the former Poly's have considerably lower A level grades, and therefore there's a need of trying to get people upto a certain standard. After that, the Poly's to get their act together, and the work is a little more challenging. Still doesn't get to the advanced level of some of the more 'reputable' universities.
Reply 2
J.S.
Of course there is no objective answer to this. Also, I wouldn't want to mock the efforts of those studying at the former Poly's. It is easier though, particuarly their first year. People going to the former Poly's have considerably lower A level grades, and therefore there's a need of trying to get people upto a certain standard. After that, the Poly's to get their act together, and the work is a little more challenging. Still doesn't get to the advanced level of some of the more 'reputable' universities.
But the polys also, on average, give out lower degrees.
Reply 3
llama boy
But the polys also, on average, give out lower degrees.

Very true. Although many of the Poly's consist of students who've done very badly on their pre university exams. Also, they have far more coursework, the marking is lenient and they often have open book exams and the like. Actually, one of my mates, he got to take home one of this exams! Goodness!

Of course, again, this is just a hunch really. I did an essay for a friend once, it was on Political Economy, was totally rushed, and the mark it was given was far far higher than what I'd have expected at a more 'traditional' university. Also, tutors who've worked at ex poly's and traditional universities often tell me that the standards are incomparable. Of course I've no real basis for being absolutely certain that this is the case throughout the former Poly world.

It's just, to me personally, it seems absurd that you could possibly give people who average AAA in their A levels, the same work and maintain the same standards as those with a DEE average. Although, there are statistics that show there to be no real significant correlation between A level and university performance. Although, that doesn't 'prove' anything either. It may well just be that there's no correlation as people with higher grades are doing more 'difficult' degees at universities that are better regarded. Conversely, those with 'lesser' qualifications are doing 'easier' courses, and gaining similar degree classifications as the 'better' students.
With stats, when you start to look between the lines, the world seems so damn complex!

J.S.
Reply 4
On my course at an ex poly, less than 4% of people got 1sts and roughly 30% got 2:1s. It was one of the better ex polys and there were people on the course who had reasonable A levels (c. 22 points), but who had gone there for reasons unrelated to entry requirements (e.g. wanting to stay close to their home town). These were the people who got firsts. They had a real talent for their chosen subject and worked extremely hard.

My brother does a similar course to mine at a top 5 uni. The teaching is far more in-depth, due to the capacity of the students to understand it, but that doesn't necessarily meant that the standard required in assessments also has to be dramatically higher. It could even be the case that while the exam questions may be fiendishly difficult compared to an ex poly exam on the same subject, a bunch of half-answers will gain you an A grade, whereas in the ex poly one, you would have to give full answers to easier questions. There are certainly ways to reconcile higher teaching standards with fair assessment standards.

Incidentally, I have seen some of the A-graded final year projects on their website and was not very impressed. A far larger proportion of students on my brother's course get 1sts. If the same proportion got 1sts/2:1s at both unis, that would certainly mean dramatically different assessment standards. Maybe they are not as different as old university students would like to believe.
Jools
There are moderation teams that try and ensure a 1st, 2:1, 2:2 are just as hard to achieve across the UK, but this is blatantly not the case. It'd be easier to get a good grade at a lesser uni, the fact that the proportion who get 1sts/2:1s correlates well with the overall tables (Oxbridge at the top, Thames Valley at the bottom) reflects the massive variation in effort (/workload - 3 essays a week vs 3 essays a year!) and ability.

Three essays a week? :eek: Surely that's a typo? :confused:
Reply 6
Jools
No. Geography here is seen as a doss subject and I have 1 essay every week, occasionally 2, usually about 3,000 words each. Geographers at St Johns had 3-4 essays a week. On average arts subjects here = 2 a week, often 3 for PPE etc.

I get mates from other unis complaining that they've been set an essay with a 3 week deadline! Or complaning that they're bored...

Know what u mean - a friend of mine at Lancaster complained she had 2 essays for next month and I had two for first week plus logic exercises!!!! Plus im doin loads more extra curricula as well

madness...

x-x-x-x-x-x-x
hildabeast
Know what u mean - a friend of mine at Lancaster complained she had 2 essays for next month and I had two for first week plus logic exercises!!!! Plus im doin loads more extra curricula as well

madness...

x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Awesome, what other stuff have you got involved in?

Did you go to the OxStu party at Thirst?
Reply 8
Jools
Awesome, what other stuff have you got involved in?

Did you go to the OxStu party at Thirst?

Unforch couldn't go cos I arranged to meet a friend without realising

doing rowing (st hilda's novice A are gonna win the regatta - you heard it here first!!!), OULC, F & F, Wom Cam, and I'm chair of JCR meetings

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Reply 9
Surfing Hamster
Three essays a week? :eek: Surely that's a typo? :confused:

people doing languages have something like 5 essays a week!
Reply 10
Jools
Good for you. Hilda's are heavily involved in student union stuff ie F&F & Women's Campaigning...

Been made "Deputy News Editor" of OxStu today which means every Tuesday is now an all-nighter getting the paper ready!

does this mean your name will appear bigger in the back of the paper? its really tiny now can hardly see it
Jools
Good for you. Hilda's are heavily involved in student union stuff ie F&F & Women's Campaigning...

Been made "Deputy News Editor" of OxStu today which means every Tuesday is now an all-nighter getting the paper ready!

awww :rolleyes: - still, its good that you've got such a high position

have no idea how i ended up getting chair of the meetings - its all really weird!!!!! just volunteered, gave a speech, had a vote and got the job!!!! u goin 2 national anti-fees demo next sun???

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
elpaw
does this mean your name will appear bigger in the back of the paper? its really tiny now can hardly see it

Haha prob
Reply 13
Jools
often 3 for PPE etc.
:eek:
llama boy
:eek:

My friend who does Medicine, his MSN screename right now is worrying...

Wake up; go to labs, lectures and tutorials, write essays, sleep, wake up...
Jools

sounds like me :rolleyes: knew it would be a lot of work but not THIS mad so soon - had classes and got essays in 0th week

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Reply 16
Jools

Quite.

If I get in, it's gonna be quite a culture shock...
Jools

nah, work when u need to.......
DanMushMan
nah, work when u need to.......

but if u need to all the time then u either work nonstop and sleep or work, do other fun stuff/extracurricular things and cut back on sleep, and i think that's wot im gonna have to do :rolleyes:

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Reply 19
If you look at the league tables there are a lot of ex polys that do better than red brick uni's in many subjects, so no its not easyier.