The Student Room Group

Are 2 humanities and a science good a level options?

I must decide my a levels very soon, and I’m quite certain now that I’d like to do history and English lit ( I will eventually study something like these at uni) but I also want to do biology as I really like it and am strong at it. Is having 2 humanities and a science good or is it better to do a more similar subject like philosophy or economics?
No. I cannot advise strongly enough against this. I did something similar with Bio as my science in an attempt to be more of a jack of all trades and it backfired when it came to Uni applications. Triple down on one style of subject :smile:
It depends what you want to do. Have you looked into possible courses, and what could they be?
Reply 3
That’s what I did for a level, I did French, Geography and Chemistry. I think a levels doing biology, English literature and history is a great combination of options, the scientific background with biology is great to add some diversity and try something different, and I thinking doing history will complement knowing some of the scientific basis of the things you study in biology etc.
Reply 4
I was in a very similar position. I'm going to study English at university, and I took two humanities and chemistry! It was probably one of the worst decisions I've made in recent years. A Level can make GCSE seem like a joke, especially if you're not too interested in the subject. Your dedication can really dictate your performance. At A Level, your level of understanding and engagement is truly tested.

Now, I did combined science and got around 70% in chemistry. You might have achieved around 85% in triple-science biology, so our circumstances may be different, but you must choose this subject with a good knowledge of your work ethic, level of interest and subject content at GCSE.

Please, don't end up doing what I did and regret your choice. I'm not saying it's not a good option or one where success is impossible, but it's one that requires much deliberation.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Tolgash
I was in a very similar position. I'm going to study English at university, and I took two humanities and chemistry! It was probably one of the worst decisions I've made in recent years. A Level can make GCSE seem like a joke, especially if you're not too interested in the subject. Your dedication can really dictate your performance. At A Level, your level of understanding and engagement is truly tested.

Now, I did combined science and got around 70% in chemistry. You might have achieved around 85% in triple-science biology, so our circumstances may be different, but you must choose this subject with a good knowledge of your work ethic, level of interest and subject content at GCSE.

Please, don't end up doing what I did and regret your choice. I'm not saying it's not a good option or one where success is impossible, but it's one that requires much deliberation.

Thanks for this! Biology, English lit and history are my favourite subjects, so I think it may work well doing them.
Reply 6
Original post by ashtolga23
It depends what you want to do. Have you looked into possible courses, and what could they be?

Yes I probably want to do History at uni or something similar, where all you must have is a history a level And any 2 others. It the sme for English lit too. So I’m wondering if it wouldn’t matter if I do bio or if it’s not a good idea as it shows variety or if it’s bad. If it’s bad I’d just do economics or philosophy instead
Original post by ScoMo8082
Yes I probably want to do History at uni or something similar, where all you must have is a history a level And any 2 others. It the sme for English lit too. So I’m wondering if it wouldn’t matter if I do bio or if it’s not a good idea as it shows variety or if it’s bad. If it’s bad I’d just do economics or philosophy instead

As long as you're fulfilling any requirements then I think it's very much about what you'll get the best grades in. Variety can be great, but I don't think it makes you any more or less likely to be accepted by universities; it's more about taking subjects you enjoy and excel in enough to learn at a higher standard.

Sciences are generally seen as tough, so I'd probably take a look into the biology course and make sure you're happy with the content that's going to be covered. However, it's not like economics or philosophy are notoriously easy, so all your potential subjects could be viewed as difficult depending on who you are; while I think I'd find a hard science impossible at this stage, I know one of my friends has branded biology as "easy". If, after serious contemplation, you think you're able to do it, then there's no problem. Pick whichever one you have the biggest interest in, be it a science or an essay subject.
Reply 8
Original post by ScoMo8082
Thanks for this! Biology, English lit and history are my favourite subjects, so I think it may work well doing them.

Good for you! I'm glad you know what you like.

However, you should be warned that your favourite subject(s) at GCSE could become the bane of your student life at A Level. From my experience, this occurrence isn't as rare as it may sound.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest