The Student Room Group

Should I do alevel maths

I am currently in year 11 doing igcse edexcel maths. I am currently around a grade 8 (low A*) . Would I be capable to do alevel maths and succeed in it with hard work or would it be too hard, also what is alevel maths like, is it a big step, is the exam itself very hard?

Scroll to see replies

ermmm, grade 8 is good enough? you do know it’s an A* right lmao
Reply 2
Ye ik it’s a great grade but would it be a suitable foundation for alevel maths and for me to succeed in it
Original post by Yasbro
Ye ik it’s a great grade but would it be a suitable foundation for alevel maths and for me to succeed in it

You'll be fine. Any grade in the 7 - 9 range is a comfortable starting point for A-level. It's if you're coming in with a 6 that you have to start worrying about working especially hard to keep up with the pace at A-level.
Reply 4
Oh right, do you learn a lot more new concepts in alevel maths compared to igcse or are they similar content but in more depth
Quite a few new things, but you shouldn't have too much of a problem if you know what you're doing at gcse
do you like maths? an enjoyment for maths makes the A level a hell of a lot easier
Reply 7
I don’t mind maths, it normally depends which topic area like for example I’m not a big fan of geometry and graphs but I enjoy most of algebra
Reply 8
Original post by Yasbro
I am currently in year 11 doing igcse edexcel maths. I am currently around a grade 8 (low A*) . Would I be capable to do alevel maths and succeed in it with hard work or would it be too hard, also what is alevel maths like, is it a big step, is the exam itself very hard?

Maths is an extremely important subject. I can say without any doubt you should do it if you are at all thinking about it. Its a very smart choice unless you are going to study Eng lit or something like that. I failed a masters because I didnt know what hypothesis testing was. If you really dont want to pursue this you could change and just sit the AS exam. You can also do a trial in some colleges. Its a huge jump you ll have to study each day if you want to do well. It a lot harder than it used to be. I am in my early 40s and I have spent my last two years doing something which I didnt bother doing in school because it seemed to hard. Doing what I am doing is a lot harder. I have learnt so much. If you have any doubt about the real life application on how maths affects us, just as an example read this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Meadow
Sad but true, someone was convicted of murder based on statistical evidence which turns was based on fallacious argument.
WWII might have been lost if it weren't for statisticians and conditional probability. You can think very deeply about things. It depends on what you want, but I feel its definitely worth the investment. My main goal is to learn statistics so its a bit weird having to do the algebra and calculus. I dont regret the sacrifices I have had to make.
Original post by sonal7
Maths is an extremely important subject. I can say without any doubt you should do it if you are at all thinking about it. Its a very smart choice unless you are going to study Eng lit or something like that. I failed a masters because I didnt know what hypothesis testing was. If you really dont want to pursue this you could change and just sit the AS exam. You can also do a trial in some colleges. Its a huge jump you ll have to study each day if you want to do well. It a lot harder than it used to be. I am in my early 40s and I have spent my last two years doing something which I didnt bother doing in school because it seemed to hard. Doing what I am doing is a lot harder. I have learnt so much. If you have any doubt about the real life application on how maths affects us, just as an example read this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Meadow
Sad but true, someone was convicted of murder based on statistical evidence which turns was based on fallacious argument.
WWII might have been lost if it weren't for statisticians and conditional probability. You can think very deeply about things. It depends on what you want, but I feel its definitely worth the investment. My main goal is to learn statistics so its a bit weird having to do the algebra and calculus. I dont regret the sacrifices I have had to make.

I didn't know WWII had anything remotely to do with statistics. I've heard a lot about cryptography but not that
Reply 10
Oh right, ye I was going to do bio and chem with it probably since i want to pursue a career in medicine
Original post by Yasbro
Oh right, ye I was going to do bio and chem with it probably since i want to pursue a career in medicine

Maths will help since BMAT tests GCSE level maths, but if you do maths throughout year 12 i guess it would keep it sharp and help.
Although BMAT is only required for certain unis like oxford etc.
Original post by Yasbro

Bro, you got an A*
So what grade do you think is meant to be a foundation for A level maths?
Reply 13
Original post by Yasbro

I think i put the link there. Its well researched. I have read loads about it.
Reply 14
Original post by Yasbro

I think i put the link there. Its well researched. I have read loads about it.

Original post by Yasbro
I don’t mind maths, it normally depends which topic area like for example I’m not a big fan of geometry and graphs but I enjoy most of algebra

For medicine it would def help to do maths but cant do everything, its depends on how far you want to go as you d need research experience to go really far. I forgot to put the link about the WWII survival bias that meant the problem of falling planes was curtailed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias

I am myself from a medical background. Maths is a real bonus but they do teach you stats.

Original post by *****deadness
I didn't know WWII had anything remotely to do with statistics. I've heard a lot about cryptography but not that

I forgot to also mention there was that about design of planes using maths which meant more amunition could be carried compared to the german places giving 'us' a big advantage.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 15
I did the same qualification as you and got an 8 in the real thing. For A Levels I chose Bio Chem and Maths (for med too lol), and Maths was by far the hardest subject. I loved it at GCSE, but A Level Maths was the worst, like really really hard. I’d say to some extent, yes you have to enjoy it, but if you’re not super confident with your skills or you find other subjects suit you better go for them over Maths. Also, I’ve seen people saying doing maths will help you with BMAT and to be honest, I don’t think it gives THAT much of an advantage- for me a lot of the methods I’d learnt at A Level are now completely different for the BMAT GCSE spec/a lot of content I was taught at GCSE wasn’t covered at A Level, so I still have to go over them to remind myself (I’m taking a gap year and reapplying).
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Yasbro

yes. im currently in year 12 after getting a grade 8 at gcse. its difficult. all a levels are. but you will be fine with anything above a grade 7 at gcse.
Reply 17
If I may ask did u manage to finish your alevels course and if so what grade did you manage to achieve
Reply 18
Original post by Yasbro
If I may ask did u manage to finish your alevels course and if so what grade did you manage to achieve

I’m assuming you’re asking me this? I didn’t get to take my A Levels this year because of the pandemic. Was predicted an A but ended up getting a CAG grade of B.
Reply 19
Oh that’s still good tho , did U use any particular resources to achieve your predicted Grades

Quick Reply