The Student Room Group

Should I do alevel maths

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Is that a resource website ?
Original post by Yasbro
Is that a resource website ?

Yeah just watch the videos in a systematic format
It gives you an idea of what type of questions you’ll get & how A level is.
Reply 42
Oh right that’s great thanks
Original post by Yasbro
Oh right that’s great thanks

No problem, wishing you the best of luck :smile:
If I can finish A level Maths and Further Maths in 2 months during quarantine. Why can't you? Teachers are not as good as they seem to be, they seem as if they know more than you. I literally flexed on my teacher, asking if he could solve this International Maths Olympiad question through the means of knowing combinatorics, chinese remainder theorem etc. He did not have a clue, and I often to show him the proper way of getting things done, since his technique is so inefficient. How did I get to this standard you may ask, I could be bothered to learn through extracurricular textbooks, for example S.G Telang's Number theory. You have to strive to become better than everyone else and look for resources to better yourself! Study ahead, don't always think this is good enough! Make in difference in life, humans can achieve anything.
Reply 45
Oh right , we’re u always naturally bright in maths
Original post by Yasbro
Oh right , we’re u always naturally bright in maths

Dude there is no such thing as intelligence, just this thing called work ethic, whether you can be bothered or not. Just work harder and I assure you, the results will be positive! :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 47
Oh right I will , does anyone know any good question books in particular ?
Original post by Yasbro
Oh right I will , does anyone know any good question books in particular

DM me for help. Preferable discord. Maybe I will tutor you, maybe.
Reply 49
Oh right, I don’t have discord unfortunately
Reply 50
But I don’t mind , I also was asking if you suggest any decent text books that help you ?
Reply 51
Original post by Yasbro
But I don’t mind , I also was asking if you suggest any decent text books that help you ?

Ignore this person, they're boasting and scarcely give out useful advice. If you're doing Edexcel then these are all you need:
- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-level-Mathematics-Textbook-Further/dp/129218339X/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=maths+a+level&qid=1604204432&sr=8-4
- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Mathematics-Statistics-Mechanics-Textbook-ebook/dp/B071SDC3M3/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=maths+a+level&qid=1604204432&sr=8-10

I personally haven't found Maths A-Level very challenging and I got 8/A* in Maths/FM GCSE so I definitely think you're capable, although it varies by person. Good luck.
I think 8 is pretty good honestly. Its a lot of new stuff but doable
If you have done Additional maths, you'll see that a lot of topics will overlap.
There is a lot of annoying derivatives / silly things you need to remember though, so just flashcard it if it gets too much

Quick Reply

Latest